SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to me P30SK V1 - Short review from a striker fan...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me P30SK V1 - Short review from a striker fan... Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
Just got a smoking deal on a P30SK. I had been hemming an hawing over getting a VP9SK or the P30SK for several months now.

Been watching for deals and going back and forth over which one to spring for. I love my VP9, love my P320’s, was a Glock fan for a long time (though Glockless now) but also kept hearing nothing but good things about the P30 (and P30SK).

Didn’t really need another gun of any type, but I am finding it really hard to be frugal with all the good deals out there right now and I have been on a bit of a binge over the last 10 months or so (this makes 12 new handguns since April last year, net gain of 10 after selling two).

Originally I was hesistant about which version to go for. Being mostly a stiker type of guy I was thinking I would be happier with the VP9SK. Also being a fan of classic Sig P series (and owning a couple P226’s and a P229) I thought if I went with the P30SK maybe I should opt for the V3 with the decocker. For a carry gun, the idea of second strike capability, even if it has been a non-issue in my real world experience where I have never had a light strike using SD ammo, was a consideration as well, albeit a minor one. As they say, better to have and not need than need and not have.

In the end, once I had a change to dry fire the V1 LEM side by side with a VP9SK, I was sold on the P30SK. I have to admit the deal I got had a lot to do with the decision, $500 OTD for LE version with night sights and 3 mags. Used gun, but claimed to be less than 50 rounds through it and no reason to doubt that based on the condition with box and everything else as new. Guy had bought two of them, one for him and one for his wife. He liked the P30SK but she decided she preferred the VP9SK, so he was selling one after getting her the VP9SK. New, best price online is about $700-$725 once shipping, FFL transfer, and sales tax is taken into account.

Took it to the range Sunday morning and all the hype was warranted. Very impressed with it, and I was easily making nice salad-plate sized groups shooting singles and doubles in fairly quick succession at 7 yards. The trigger is decent, reminds me of my Glocks a bit with it’s medium length, soft take-up and then a semi-squishy release. A little less reset would be nice, but I guess you can’t have everything.

I love the way the P30 (and VP9) grips adjust with the panels. While I do like the P320, I gotta give the grip feel “win” to HK on this one. The P30SK also feels a bit more “substantial” in my hand than the P320. This is interesting, because according to the specs, the P320 weighs in at 25oz compared to 21oz for the P30SK.

Seems that after just one range session it has already bumped my FrankenP320 (Subcompact slide on shortened Compact grip) as my carry piece for the foreseeable future (at least it will once the holster arrives this week).

Hmmm, now maybe I will start looking for a deal on a P30L.....

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! I have a p30sk LEM and love it, the p30L is a fantastic pistol as wellSmile

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I wanted to like the P30sk. Felt like Megan Fox in my hands. Couldn’t shoot it as I do others. Something about the metrics on the mags, kept biting my hand in that gap between rounds. Thankfully, I shoot the P2ksk well. Good luck with the P30sk

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
You pay sales tax on online purchases? That sucks

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Had a chance to get the camera out today...

Untitled by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
Congrats, the HK P30 SK V1 LEM is an awesome gun I have it, I also have the same gun in V3, also LEM night sights and three mags. I'm a ambi guy that shoots with both hands, but predominatly left handed, all my carry guns have to be ambi friendly, and the P30 SK is just that, these guns have been totally reliable and very accurate, but the best part it feels great in hand, a friend of mine that's an armorer told me to try putting the large side panel on the left side and small panel on right and large on the back, he said this fills the inside of the palm and gives you a perfect grip, being left handed as he was I tried this, and it's just awesome, using the large back strap gave me the perfect trigger distance as well, try this, I think you will like the feeling you get and strong grip, the night sights are great too, they light up great at night, enjoy your HK you're going to love it..oh, and another thing, these guns eat everything put to them...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TENWOLVES,

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Great gun, I have the same V1. When I can conceal I carry this one. Also very nice to shoot at the range, even with hot SD ammo. Predict you will enjoy this a long time.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TENWOLVES:
... a friend of mine that's an armorer told me to try putting the large side panel on the left side and small panel on right and large on the back, he said this fills the inside of the palm and gives you a perfect grip...

I do similar, figured that out on my VP9. I have smallish hands for a man though. I use the small backstrap and left side panel along with the medium right side panel. Fills the hand, give me good trigger reach and fingers wrap around perfectly.

Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by TENWOLVES:
... a friend of mine that's an armorer told me to try putting the large side panel on the left side and small panel on right and large on the back, he said this fills the inside of the palm and gives you a perfect grip...

I do similar, figured that out on my VP9. I have smallish hands for a man though. I use the small backstrap and left side panel along with the medium right side panel. Fills the hand, give me good trigger reach and fingers wrap around perfectly.

Hk did a great job with this design for grip panels, and having a choice in back straps accommodates all of us no matter what hand size, filling your strong hands palm really makes a big difference...thanks for the reply..

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post