SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shot my RIA Ultra Tac II MS yesterday... couple of thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot my RIA Ultra Tac II MS yesterday... couple of thoughts Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
What fun! I haven’t shot a 1911 type in years. I ran some PMC and Armscor ball, as well as some Colt “carry” ammo through it. Only had one failure out of 3 different magazines (factory ACT and aftermarket MEC-GAR 8-rounders — shot each mag 3x with 8 rnds) to feed completely, which I fully attribute to a soft grip.

So that’s the thing. Lots more recoil than I remember in 1911s, but keep in mind this is a commander size. I felt unsure of my grip at times and noticed a slight pain at the base of the thumb joint after shooting only 75 rounds.

I’ll work on the grip. It feels just slightly small in my hand, so now I’m wondering about a Hogue wrap just to pad that area (the V at the base of the thumb). I have a permanent injury there from a propane torch that fell onto my hand about ten years ago. I wonder if that Hogue would build it up just enough to ease the recoil?

The gun itself is very accurate. Although the cheap paper target indicated keyholing (it wasn’t that, just paper tearing), I was able to group well at 10 yards. I’d like to shoot at some metal, maybe later this week at my B-I-L’s range.

stock photo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: striker1,

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Well, nuts. I guess I wasn’t thinking about the nature of the 1911 grip. The Hogue wrap won’t do anything. Will just have to work on the grip.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
They are nice shooters. I have an RIA 5' in 9mm. First time I took it to the range I couldn't believe how good a shooter it is. Now I wonder why I stayed away from 1911's for so long.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIA Ultra Tac II MS

I also have a RIA - TAC, Combo - 9/22TCM
The picture makes me swoon a little - Love this guy for its price point and I have little to compare but I love it. I used it in this years USPSA all year and the SA Trigger was superb yet alone not dealing with my normal choice of DA/SA and that 1st shot - I'm a RIA Fan.

Yet alone the 22TCM - what a hoot to shoot but the 9mm option makes sense.

I like the Grip and feel and the only issue I had was accidental safety selection after a mag change while running to the next target - My Bad.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post