SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why Are There So Few (True) Glock 19 Competitors?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Are There So Few (True) Glock 19 Competitors? Login/Join 
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
And if they're in my house, I have far more amusing toys to choose from than a compact 9mm pistol. Big Grin

Just make sure to have your knife to fight to your pistol to fight to your rifle in the safe.

Big Grin

The battle for my 150 square foot bedroom will be a long and bloody one. I'll bravely do a tactical roll out of my bed and pull up a copy of AirsoftGuy's speech just to make sure I get the wording down right. Cool

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lordhamster:
quote:

Oh yeah, and it had the ridiculous paddle magazine release.

Say what you want about the paddle release, but they are undoubtedly better for CCW. Do a google search of gun forums and look up how many people accidentally dropped or dis-lodged their mags accidentally by putting pressure on the US-style button release. You'll find tons

My squishy love handles do an excellent job of protecting my mag release.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
The battle for my 150 square foot bedroom will be a long and bloody one. I'll bravely do a tactical roll out of my bed and pull up a copy of AirsoftGuy's speech just to make sure I get the wording down right. Cool

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Well played sir, well played... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So one example from a publication a few years back that occurred in a the most violent city in the world to a person who was targeted enough she needed a body guard. I live in a place where we have at most one homicide a year. I'll accept whatever risk I have when I go jogging without my body armor.

And if they're in my house, I have far more amusing toys to choose from than a compact 9mm pistol. Big Grin

You asked "Have you ever heard of a defensive, non-LE use of a handgun where more than 10 rounds were used?" So my answer was YES. Smile

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
quote:
So one example from a publication a few years back that occurred in a the most violent city in the world to a person who was targeted enough she needed a body guard. I live in a place where we have at most one homicide a year. I'll accept whatever risk I have when I go jogging without my body armor.

You asked "Have you ever heard of a defensive, non-LE use of a handgun where more than 10 rounds were used?" So my answer was YES. Smile

Fair 'nuff. I'll swear up and down I've seen a jackalope too Big Grin

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Couple points.

-technically the P2000 gives up 2 rounds to a Glock 19 and 1 round to a Glock 23 and yes both have far easier mags to load and seat at least when new.

-there have been many instances where folks empty pistols in defense. Usually however things happen so fast that as the first rounds are being exchanged everybody is heading for the hills. Even though 17 rounds gets expended usually the first few are the starter pistol for the race to get the hell out of dodge though.

There was a pretty well publized incident of a jeweler somewhere who had been robbed numerous times and survived several gunfights and the last one involved him having a pitched gunfight with numerous attackers and him using numerous guns (New York reloads). So it CAN. Happen

But like has been said you weigh your risks and plan for your own personal safety.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Glock 19 an excellent gun but the trigger will never compare to that of a Sig 228.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

And no, your .44 Magnum revolver is not a G19 competitor no matter how many times we watch Clint extract a 6" revolver from under a suit jacket without him looking awkward. If I tried that, I'd have the grace of a newborn gazelle seeing its tail for the first time.

A competitor isn't something or someone that is "almost as good".

A competitor is something or someone that competes.

In the case of the .41 magnum revolver I just bought, it competed for the dollars in my wallet and won. I bought it instead.

I couldnt care less about Clint Eastwood, but a G19 will not be accompanying me in the brush or the woods, whereas the .41 will.

The G19 does not work well on my ankle, or under certain dress conditions, where other firearms do. There are times when a G19 is appropriate, and many times when it is not.

Your comments indivcate that you want a G19 clone to compete against itself. Same weight, same capacity, same dimensions, as though another non-identical firearm falls short of comparison with the holy grail. Not so. I get it; you're smitten with the G19 and live in a world in which you think nothing else can compare. That's fine and that works forbyou as long as you have your G19.

The rest of the world lives in a different place.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
1) It was called the Thunderbird : )

...Then, some fuckknuckle at the department you sold to shoots some overcharged hand load at a training session and his buddy videos the kaboom and it goes viral on youtube. Next thing you know, MAC is on there shoving eight pounds of goat shit into your chamber and dunking your gun in the lagoon to show the world how it won't go into battery. Yeager's on there too, talking crap about how he knew you back in his days at Blackwater and you never were worth a shit and everyone should buy a Canik instead. Then Haley accidentally shoots his videographer and blames it all on your gun. Even Hickok has an off day and can't hit the gong with it.

POTD. LOL on the Hickok part too.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

And no, your .44 Magnum revolver is not a G19 competitor no matter how many times we watch Clint extract a 6" revolver from under a suit jacket without him looking awkward. If I tried that, I'd have the grace of a newborn gazelle seeing its tail for the first time.

A competitor isn't something or someone that is "almost as good".

A competitor is something or someone that competes.

In the case of the .41 magnum revolver I just bought, it competed for the dollars in my wallet and won. I bought it instead.

I couldnt care less about Clint Eastwood, but a G19 will not be accompanying me in the brush or the woods, whereas the .41 will.

The G19 does not work well on my ankle, or under certain dress conditions, where other firearms do. There are times when a G19 is appropriate, and many times when it is not.

Your comments indivcate that you want a G19 clone to compete against itself. Same weight, same capacity, same dimensions, as though another non-identical firearm falls short of comparison with the holy grail. Not so. I get it; you're smitten with the G19 and live in a world in which you think nothing else can compare. That's fine and that works forbyou as long as you have your G19.

The rest of the world lives in a different place.

Actually I want something better than a G19. Thinner, better trigger, better ergonomics, lower price, lower bore axis, etc. There are many ways to improve on the design. The fact nobody seems to have done so given three decades of work is what's so disappointing. And the only thing that works well on my ankle is a sock. Or maybe one of those ankle tattoos that was all the rage about the time the G19 was becoming popular.

And no, I'm not smitten with a G19. I'm smitten with a 1911. Because steel is real and John Moses Browning made a perfect design that was perfected by 60 years of gunsmiths figuring out how to make it feed hollowpoints and not bite the hand that shoots it. Big Grin

Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Glock 19 an excellent gun but the trigger will never compare to that of a Sig 228.

Tru dat. I love my first pull to be long, hard, and gritty. Wait, this is a post about guns, right?

posted Hide Post
If I was forced to buy 9mm hand-guns, I'd buy the SIG M11A1 every time......and the P225 & P226 as bookends to that.

I've owned at least 8 blocks including 19's....
I have a great deal of respect for what it is.
However, I hate Kydex Holsters as well as Plastic, Striker-Fired guns.....but the 19 is the best of those IMHO.

Posts: 36 | Registered: January 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GLOCKS not BLOCKS....I hate auto-correct sometimes...

Posts: 36 | Registered: January 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK P7 PSP with a butt mag release.
thinner than a glock, better trigger, mag wont eject unexpectedly.

ultimate carry gun.

Posts: 9 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: October 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
HK P7 PSP with a butt mag release.thinner than a glock, better trigger, mag wont eject unexpectedly.

You forgot to say twice the weight and half the capacity.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and the Ford Taurus was the pinnacle of automotive engineering...

It was? I'm so glad I wasn't included on the distribution list for that memo back then. Who knows how my life would've ended up had I not been so blissfully unawares...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
...and the Ford Taurus was the pinnacle of automotive engineering...

It was? I'm so glad I wasn't included on the distribution list for that memo back then. Who knows how my life would've ended up had I not been so blissfully unawares...

You could have wound up with a life-size cutout of Vince Neil in your living room.

Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
HK P7 PSP with a butt mag release.thinner than a glock, better trigger, mag wont eject unexpectedly.

You forgot to say twice the weight and half the capacity.

The magazines are pretty expensive too.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
You forgot to say twice the weight and half the capacity

And 3x the cost. Smile

And I LOVE ME SOME P7's.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
You forgot to say twice the weight and half the capacity

And 3x the cost. Smile

And I LOVE ME SOME P7's.

And half the reliability! Every time I see one, I like to pretend I'm falling off of Nakatomi Plaza.