SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Broached P224/P229C barrel ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broached P224/P229C barrel ? Login/Join 
posted
I just purchased a P224/P229C 357Sig barrel in recent factory packaging advertised as "broached" marked: BARREL, 224, 357, DLC. It was medium gray in color, shiney, & appeared to be uncoated. After cleaning it with Slip 2000 EWL it turned dark gray. Inside the tip of the barrel & inside the first 1/8 inch of the chamber were rainbow's. Was this a barrel ready for Nitride but never made it?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was always under the impression that a broach is just a cutting tool used to cut steel (in most cases I know of, and to the purposes of which we're talking, to cut the rifling of a bore, though it could be used externally, too). I didn't think it would affect how they 'coat' their barrels. I do, however, have P228/P229 barrels that are either phosphate or nitride; the phosphate giving it the appearance you're describing, though I don't think Sig does that for recent production barrels. I guess I'm at a loss.

Posts: 237 | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is neither phosphate or nitride, appears to be uncoated

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very odd. I'd think they'd have to treat it in some way or coat it with something. You wouldn't happen to have pics?

Posts: 237 | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACClauhs
posted Hide Post
DLC stands for diamond like carbon. Sounds like the color may just be "off" compare to normal Sig coloring. http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html

Posts: 403 | Location: PA | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post