SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Remington 1911 R1 Tactical single stack- *edit range report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 1911 R1 Tactical single stack- *edit range report Login/Join 
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted
Been bitten by the 1911 bug, again. I still consider myself a relative novice with 1911's with my only experience being with an old GI gov't that was my Uncle's and a Springfield loaded I had some years ago Recently I picked up an ATI Commander for $350.00 on sale and was quite surprised at the quality of this lower tier 1911. Sure, sights suck and shoots a little low when lined up flush but figured out a fix with nail polish. Swapped the grips with some faux stag and different grip screws and feels good in hand. Couple of hiccups in the first 200 rounds with factory mag (ACT) but since it has been fine, now 500 ronds. No issues with Wilson 920 7 rounders and CMC Classic (Shooting Star) 8 rounders. Hardball, old Golden Sabre and Critical Duty all feed good now.

So now to the main topic.

I was on gunbroker checking a bid on a Firestar 9mm (nostalgia) and it went higher than I would pay so I start scrolling and find a 1911 R1 "TACTICAL" (gotta love marketing) with minutes left and a bid for $580 so on a whim I bid 590 expecting to lose. But I won. Add $15 shipping and $25 transfer so $630 total, which is in the range these are going for on auction sites. Retailers have them high 700's to high 900's.

Fit is good, the G10 "Operator" grips suck, feels like a rotting coral reef plus ugly, so I swapped those out with a nice Rosewood laminate set. Trigger decent and is adjustable. Night sights are a plus, trijicon with a good u cut out on rear. I have not shot it yet but hand cycles fine with all aforementioned rounds using the Wilsons and Chips. Barrel is advertised as match grade, ambi safety, beavertail, and PVD finish (IMO its not a bad finish but not great either).

I have found very little information about this specific model and it seems they have been discontinued. Any info would be appreciated. It seems most similar to the enhanced R1.

My main concern is this has a two piece full length guide rod. My understanding is that most people do not think a full length is necessary and two piece rods may come unscrewed. Thinking of replacing it with a GI version and end cap. Should I replace the spring as well? Poundage? I am thinking of getting a Wolff variable power 16.5 lb.

*edit- Well I'm pleased. Had a quick session at a local range, 200 rounds Sellier & Bellot 230 gr hardball without a hiccup. Also fired 8 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty 220 gr +p with no issues. A smidgen low at 10 yards at first but crept up to dead on by end of session. Used OEM mags (don't know who makes them), Wilson 920's, CMC shooting stars and the ACT mag- all worked fine.

**edit- Upon breaking it down to clean I noticed the guide rod slightly unscrewed. The face of the rod has a slight cross like a large Phillip's head but not deep enough to get purchase with any tool I have to tighten. I'll be getting a GI rod.

Here's some bad pics:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Belwolf,

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a problem.

I have one gun with a two piece rod, and it has started to unscrew a few times over the years. Not the end up the world unless you shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds without ever looking at the front of the gun. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
You did quite well, price wise.

Love those grips.

I had two of the original R1's and have only handled your model, but it was head and shoulders above the base models.

I put GI guide rods in my 1911's. There's arguments out there on all sides. No real harm in any of them.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun! My SA Loaded came with a two piece full-length guide rod, which I promptly replaced with a GI style from Wilson Combat (for I think about $35). I'm more of a purist, and it definitely makes disassembly easier. Reliability has been flawless with the GI guide rod. I had a few hiccups on my first couple of outings with the full-length, but I attribute those to break-in, not the guide rod. I'd say it comes down to personal preference...both solutions work fine, I just like the GI style better.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
A cousin got a stainless Rem 1911 and let me shoot it. I was amazed that Remington still made something that awesome.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot a Remington R1, but, in handling the various models in gun stores, the Tactical model is much nicer (fit-wise) than the base models, as was mentioned. I think that you got a good deal and will really like it. Please give us a report after you shoot it.

Where did you get those very nice Rosewood laminate grips. I really like them.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Sorry for late response, was out of town. The grips were off an ebay seller name heritage1911grips. He routinely auctions those and others off (also has same type with insets of different symbols). With shipping was $15 and change for that auction.

They are cut for ambi safeties but not cut all the way to top of the grip so I had to shave off a little bit on top to fit the R1. YMMV.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Nicely done.

I’ve been saying need to pick one up myself one of these days.

Love the stamp. It’s made in my hometown.

I like GI guide rods personally but I’ve had two piece before. Just a bit easier takedown.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
If that Tactical shoots as well for you as my Enhanced does for me, you'll be happy Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post