SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Let her pick out her own handgun.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let her pick out her own handgun. Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Let her pick her own gun is always the advice I give people asking the “what gun for a girl?” question.

I find that there are a lot of uneducated men who think they can go buy a gun for their wife/girlfriend/sister/mom as though the purple Bersa is the one size fits all woman gun.

Take your girl to the store and let her choose for herself.

I see this almost every day,

and most are buying it for themselves,, cause the wife/girlfriend etc will leave it in the drawer

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Bernetma for letting her pick! I never wear the clothes my wife picks for me. And though I dont pick her gun, she always gravitates to the Sig P238/380.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
Thank you all.

CQB60, She tried the LTT & Wilson Combat side by side and preferred the LTT specifically because of trigger quality. I was shocked. LTT trigger is the real deal. Better than my P226 with the Sig trigger job.

We will see how she shoots it in a few weeks. If she likes it, I see a compact in her future.

Sprg03-A3, There are more trigger enhancements available for the LTT? Do tell.

Easiest way to tell. Did it come from Langdon or did it come from Beretta?

If it came from Langdon it is all done for you. If it is a LTT from Beretta all the Langdon mods are done minus the TJIB(Trigger job in a bag). My LTT was from Beretta and the trigger was nice. Nicer feeling than any other Beretta trigger. I put in a TJIB and it brought it up to another level. Then you can get the NP3 coated trigger bar and stuff which they say smooths it out even more. There are different mainspring weights as well.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Good deal on the LTT.

Was at the LGS the other day buying all of their .38 Super when a guy walked in to buy a gun for his wife (who was not there) as her first gun.

Said he wanted a lightweight revolver in 357 magnum.

Can't imagine that it was fired more than once.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
quote:
Thank you all.

CQB60, She tried the LTT & Wilson Combat side by side and preferred the LTT specifically because of trigger quality. I was shocked. LTT trigger is the real deal. Better than my P226 with the Sig trigger job.

We will see how she shoots it in a few weeks. If she likes it, I see a compact in her future.

Sprg03-A3, There are more trigger enhancements available for the LTT? Do tell.

Easiest way to tell. Did it come from Langdon or did it come from Beretta?

If it came from Langdon it is all done for you. If it is a LTT from Beretta all the Langdon mods are done minus the TJIB(Trigger job in a bag). My LTT was from Beretta and the trigger was nice. Nicer feeling than any other Beretta trigger. I put in a TJIB and it brought it up to another level. Then you can get the NP3 coated trigger bar and stuff which they say smooths it out even more. There are different mainspring weights as well.

Good to know. Thank you.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Years ago we were holding an annual event at the Academy and as usual Sig supplied a firearm for the raffle. My wife wanted the signed Red Sox baseball so she bought one chance.

While she didn't win the signed baseball, she did win the 229.

Adam Painchaud was still the Academy Director back then. He told her pick anyone on the display wall. She had zero idea what she was doing so a friend who was the shop asst. mgr. helped her. What a mistake. For a half hour she looked at the all. I was not permitted to help in any way. She finally decided on one because it was "pretty".

She fills out the 4473 which was comical and the employees are not permitted to assist in any way. another 125 minutes. NICS went through in a few minutes. The gun comes out from stock. They asked her if she wanted to check it. Couldn't get the box open.

To this day it's in the safe unfired years later.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anecdote Alert:

quote:
a guy walked in to buy a gun for his wife (who was not there) as her first gun.

Said he wanted a lightweight revolver in 357 magnum.

Saw the outcome of that once and meddled a bit. A guy had furnished his wife with a Ruger SP101 and all the hot ammo she wanted... which wasn't much. I caught him looking the other way shooting his HK P7, "The Porsche of Pistols" and gave her a box of wadcutters.
Five of those and she realized it didn't have to hurt. A few more and she had worked out her flinch. By the end of the box, she was hitting better than him.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Turns out to be a Beretta 92G Elite LTT. Just an amazingly smooth handgun.

It is on layaway until her birthday when she will make her first handgun purchase. She is thrilled and so am I.

Did you get it from LTT directly, or a local shop? If it's from a local shop check and see if it's had the trigger job treatment from Langdon. Because the pistol is also sold through regular distributor channels without the trigger work. If this is the case, and you're impressed with the factory trigger, you'll be blown away by what Langdon can do and it's totally worth the extra expense to send the gun off to LTT and have the work done.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My daughter turns 21 in just a few weeks. She has been shooting handguns since she was 12 and has shot a wide variety of pistols and revolvers. However, despite shopping for HER handgun for the last 5 years, she still hadn't found the right one. As a starting point, She knows she doesn't like striker-fired polymers and 1911s. She likes my P226 SSE and my P220 38S and shoots great with both.

Monday I asked her to lunch and an afternoon of gun shopping. She ran through the list usual suspects: Sig Legion, CZ, H&K, etc... Then she saw the Beretta line-up. Out came a black 92 variant that I hadn't seen before. She ran the gun through the checks and said: "You have got to feel this DA trigger." it was smooooth. Zero stacking. Crisp break. Amazing. She was hooked.

Turns out to be a Beretta 92G Elite LTT. Just an amazingly smooth handgun.

It is on layaway until her birthday when she will make her first handgun purchase. She is thrilled and so am I.

Lesson learned. I would have never looked at a Beretta due to my own bias from previous experience. She found a gem because she had no bias.

I have a 92A1 and a 92S
Smooth is a good way to describe these pistols.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, let her pick it out! We're a Sig family, but I made my 20 yo try a few G-locks, S&W's, etc, before she ever loaded a Sig. She liked the 320 better than my 226, and decided on the M17. Her weapon is now being pretty-fied; I'm glad it's modular, as I WILL NEVER SHOOT a Pearlescent Sea Foam Green handgun in public!

"I won't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Posts: 29 | Location: TX | Registered: October 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
Nicely done! Regarding the "more" trigger enhancements, I'm guessing it's dropping the Langdon Trigger Job kit into a Wilson. I won a Wilson Brigadier and the trigger was better than stock but didn't "wow" me. I installed the Landon trigger job kit and holy smokes it's like night and day! I've since compared it to a Langdon LTT and they are the same. That trigger, whether from Langdon direct or the kit installed in the Wilson, is amazing. I've found it to be much better than the Sig trigger job on my MK25.

I picked up a Wilson as my first Beretta and was let down by the trigger- I was expecting something far better for the price of the pistol. The LTT TJIAB has made it my nicest trigger in a hammer fired gun. The only thing that I shoot better is a Grayguns competition kit P320.

I'm seriously eyeing the LTT red dot slide so I can put an SRO on top. It doesn't get shot much now since my dot-equipped guns get all the love, and that thing seriously deserves more range time!

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedV
posted Hide Post
That is correct Good for you (and her). If a girl, or anyone, likes the gun and it feels right and, more importantly, she has fun shooting it, she’ll be more willing to carry it and go shooting with you. How many girls were sold an air weight .38spl and shot it one time and never picked it up again?

“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers.

Posts: 23 | Location: Gulf Coast Region  | Registered: October 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All good points.

I hope she enjoys shooting it and it builds her confidence to the point she wants to get more training. I only know so much and it is really hard to teach your own child.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post