SIGforum
239 barrel fit

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7590014054

December 04, 2018, 06:41 AM
Hamden106
239 barrel fit
My first 239T got a regular barrel from TGS. It dropped right in. But the accuracy sucketh. Off hand (one hand) groups at 25 yards are 8-10 inches with match (what I used for leg matches in the M9)and factory ammo. Do you think Grayguns can make it better? They are just across the mountains from me somewhere out in the sticks.
I never tried the threaded barrel to compare.

To compare with my offhand groups with 228 and 220 they are more like 3 inches at 25 yards. The 220 is even respectable at 50 yards. Neither one is Bulseye match accurate.
The trigger on the 239 is the SRT and is equall or maybe better than the 220. The 220 and 228 are mid 90s German

I would also like to see about accuracy fitting a 226 9mm

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished
December 04, 2018, 07:16 AM
sigfreund
I realize you are a master of one-handed shooting, but are you aware that it may be difficult to shoot some handguns as accurately as others? Even shooting as I normally do with both hands on the pistol, I find it harder to achieve accurate results with the P239 than the other SIG handguns I own, including the Classic line models (P226 and P229, mostly). That’s primarily because of the size and shape of the gun’s grip. Some competitors go to great lengths (and expense) to find grips that fit their hands to their exact requirements (when permitted by the competition rules) for that reason.

This can also be affected by the trigger pull characteristics; in my pistols they are not all the same. I would assume that any such issues would affect one-handed shooting more than when the pistol is fired with the greater control and support of both hands. And of course the P239’s shorter sight radius will magnify any aiming errors; not enough, perhaps, to solely account for 3-inch groups growing to 8 or more inches, but it may contribute to the problem.

There could be a problem with the gun itself, but I certainly wouldn’t leap to that conclusion without further investigation. Have you tried having another skilled shooter fire the gun, and using a rest? And you might also try the gun with the original barrel which may have been fitted better at the factory.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
December 04, 2018, 07:59 AM
GaryBF
To get match accuracy from stock combat pistols, you may need to consider Bar-Sto custom fit match-grade barrels.

https://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=SSB
December 04, 2018, 12:13 PM
dsiets
I've found my P239 to be every bit as accurate as my P229 .40 and P229 .357.

I agree w/ shooting the original barrel and think it would be the best indicator before sending the gun off.
December 05, 2018, 02:51 PM
Blaque Jacque Shellaque
High Standard shooters are a dying breed. Nice guns.
December 05, 2018, 03:13 PM
gearhounds
Bench rest the pistol at 25 yards; one way or another, you’ll have the answer to your questions.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
December 05, 2018, 04:27 PM
Strambo
I'd shoot it from a rest with both barrels before sending it out for any fitting. Just to be sure if it is a mechanical accuracy issue or a shoot-ability issue.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page