SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pachmayr "Guardian Grip" - J-Frame grip with deployable finger rest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pachmayr "Guardian Grip" - J-Frame grip with deployable finger rest Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Looks to be an interesting concept. The concealability of a traditional two-finger "boot grip", with a finger extension that automatically deploys when the revolver is gripped/drawn and the middle finger depresses a lever on the front of the grip.

Seems to offer the best of both worlds for those who want an easier to conceal shorter grip but prefer to shoot with a full size grip.

Time will tell whether it's just a gimmick, or actually useful.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcvsDhNtLw0

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I have to say, that's pretty ingenious.

MSRP is just under $50 - will be interesting to see what these feel like in person and how well built they are.

Kinda reminds me of the moveable pinky extension on Beretta 9000s magazines.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
analogous to a folding stock Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Well, there goes another $50! Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Some dufus will inevitably try to deploy the grip
And shoot themselves in the ass. Cool idea though. I just don’t think it’s very needed. The standard rubber grip on my 360 is just fine. I have no trouble with controllability or recoil management.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. And if we were down to needs....but we're not.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not interested. The standard boot grip works just fine, especially on a .38 spl.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very clever idea. However, just a few comments:

1) Functionally, I find the pinky to be the least important digit. With short grip guns, the rear of the grip is more critical for me. Some short grips hit a certain part of my lower palm (bone) and make the gun grip sensitive. Had a Colt O.M. that I sold due to that issue.

2) Don't like the fact that the index finger is used to activate. Physiologically, there is a sympathetic response between the index and trigger fingers. In other words, squeeze with index and the trigger finger wants to go along. Could cause a problem with a fumbled draw where the shooter is attempting to actuate the "button" late after the gun is just out of the holster.

3) The video shows a two stage draw with the activation first, pause and then the draw. Could be just for the demo though. You'd have to actually try it and see if this causes any problem with the smoothness and/or speed of the draw.

IMO, it has some potential drawbacks while "solving" something that isn't really a problem. I have a number of Pachmayrs for my revolvers and like them as is.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of surprised that they didn't offer a "fixed" extention as an option and that they didn't offer grips for the SP101 as well as the LCRs.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nipper,

I think you meant activation by the middle finger.

Also, it seems like simply gripping the gun like one normally would is all that's needed to activate it. I think the "extra" step was just for demo purposes.

Having said all that, I don't see myself using that. I EDC a 642 with Spegel boot grips. I also have small-medium hands. I can get at least a 2.5-finger grip on the front strap. I have another 642 with PGS Hideout grips and I can get at least a 2.75-finger grip on it. I don't see this grip offering me enough increased performance, or potential performance, to change grips.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Looks like a potentially troublesome useless doodad to me.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like the worst-case scenario if it doesn't work is that the extension doesn't drop, which won't keep the gun from firing.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This would make more sense if the finger piece were retracted (flush) for pocket/ankle carry and extended for when you wish to carry it on a belt, in other words, left in one position or the other. Having it drop down during the draw doesn't make sense to me. If you're drawing the gun in the first place, it's because you need it bad and fast. Why add an extra step?

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
Nipper,
I think you meant activation by the middle finger.

Yep, thanks. It's been a long day...

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you guys are over thinking this one. He activated by simply gripping the firearm as normally you would. The video showed a two step process to illustrate the activation. As for useless over complexity, the failure mode would result in zero loss of functionality.

Yes, the pinky is clearly the least important finger in the finger family when shooting but if you actually PREFER to shoot with your pinky gripping nothing but air you sir are the one guy who does. No one prefers a grip where the pinky is airborne. No one.

Necessary? Of course not.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Looks like a potentially troublesome useless doodad to me.

I'm not buyin it either. Transformers for revolver stocks ? Yea ok.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post