SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The Cult Of The P7
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Cult Of The P7 Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted
The Cult of the P7 was a sub group on another board. Since then, many other web sites have created their own Cult of the P7. Nowadays, just owning ones means you are in the cult. Answer the poll, and then give us your P7 stories.

Question:
Are you a member of the cult?

Choices:
I own a P7.
I do not own a P7.
I want to own a P7.
I used to own a P7.
I don’t want a P7.
What is a P7?

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Wow. Looks like I’m the first member to speak up.

My first exposure to the P7 was of course Hans’ pistol in Die Hard. I was 9.

Fast forward to 2001 and I finally got my own- one of the P7M8 trade ins with the crest milled off. That was in college and I had to sell it to pay bills.

About 2010 I found another for $1000 in a gunshop which I promptly layed away. Still have it. Picked up about a dozen mags along the way.

In hindsight wish I’d have got a P7M13 back in the 90s but couldn’t bear the (then) $1300 price tag.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Back in the 90s I owned a couple (to include a Nickle one) as did my wife. Cool guns.

My Pro-Act unit partner was having a hard time qualifying with her 225. While at the range, she tried my P7M8 and shot it very well. The range master said "It looks like I'm going to have to order one or two (for another female officer who was having troubles with her 225)of those.

My partner got her's and continued carrying it till the day she left our agency. I gave her an Allesi belt scabbard that I had as a spare holster. She really liked that gun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I had owned a lot of HK products over the years, but hey, I'm H&K-Guy after all. Razz But I never could put down the cash for a P7M8 or a P7M13.

I finally found a dealer that didn't know what he had. I asked him how much for the P7M8, and he said defiantly, "$1000". I bought it on the spot. Now you can't find them anymore. The ones you do find are going for $2900.

Go figure.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a P7M8 Chantilly years ago I got for a great price but had to sell it due to bills/kids. It was a neat gun for sure. I figured I would get another later on but with the prices now, unfortunately, it doesn't seem likely.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Yes, I belong to the HK P7 club. Bought a P7M8 back in the 90's. Some how it multiplied into M13, M10, PSP.....
The PSP's came into the country and with the assistance of Steve AKA "laughing tomato" , I was able to stack deep at a reasonable price. So--I have a few P7's. Two of the M series were sent off to be coated in Birdsong's Black T. I believe a run of PSP's went to Ford's for their Hard Chrome.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a PSP that I let slip away in some transaction for something I no longer remember.

Stupidstupidstupid.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I’ve never seen the draw. But hey, you do you, ya know?

It’s like me trying to explain to someone why I like to ride motorcycles so much.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I do.
I also used to own a P7M13 that could have featured in the “worst decisions” thread. Not that I regret letting it go, but the details of the how and why with a shady dealer that annoy me to this day.

I purchased this through a Rod and Gun club in Germany and was, I believe, one of the first offered for commercial sale in the country.

I also still have a first place shooting trophy I won in a match sponsored by the German police using P7s that they supplied and which they had acquired for evaluation purposes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I love my P7M8! I don't carry it much, but love it.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I like my poly frame HKs. LGS had some P7 about seven or so years ago. I handled it and to me is was meh and ever since never had a desire for one for my needs or wants.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ve wanted a P7 since I was in middle school back in the early 80’s. I don’t recall where I learned of it for sure... probably one of the military style magazines I use to pour over. I would *love* to own a P7M13 someday, but I have no idea how that will be possible.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm a member. Got an M8 and a PSP.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have owned a P7 since before they were being called P7s

I know the original plastic grips look like crap. I have some HK wood grips that I need to take the time to install. Then of course a New Picture

I still shoot mine today, even though in 1995 the HK pistol pictured above fell from just over 8000 feet. Admittedly it landed in a orange grove, but the Desert Eagle that was in the same bag torqued it's frame to the point that the magazine could not be removed and was deemed repairable by Magnum Research. BTW,That picture is from after the fall. Those older HKs were tough guns

Most people ask so . . . Here Goes . . . My equipment bag was already onboard the Cessna O2 that we were taking to the Brevard Air show. My buddy was the Flight Surgeon for the event. I was supposed to be in the right seat, but things happened and I did not go on that flight. About 40 minutes into the flight the aircraft had it's wing torn off in-flight. I was notified at 0911 of the crash.

NTSB ruled the incident a fluke of weather

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
Back years ago the P7 was one of the handguns allowed in the Pensacola Police department. I liked the look but never got one. Thy are out of my price range now.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
When the NJSP transitioned to them years back H&K offered a private purchase to all Troopers for a VERY low price. Missed the chance as I was offered one at that price. Never a fan but it's odd enough that it makes an interesting addition to a collection.

Never understood their decision to go to the P7M8. They went to the SA after a Trooper was killed when his them Ruger revolver went dry. But the newly revised standards to bring in smaller recruits made the thicker grip problematic. Yet it was replaced with a 228.

Maybe because the Trooper involved in providing the recommendation started working for H&K soon after?

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the early 90’s I shot my friends dads MP5 full auto suppressed and that started my love of HK’s. He was a DC police officer and told us of a story about how a bad guy grabbed a P7 out of someone’s hand but couldn’t figure out how to make it go bang. It kind of intrigued me after hearing that and seeing one. It looked weird but I needed one. I bought my USP .40 and .45 in 1996 still own both but didn’t splurge till about 2 years ago buying a well used P7 that I absolutely love! Shoots amazing and most of my friends think I’m crazy and it’s ugly in their eyes..... Still thinking about getting it refinished but scared I won’t want to shoot it after that!

Posts: 119 | Location: Locust Grove, Virginia | Registered: November 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It's been eons since I've handled one. I seem to remember the squeeze cocker thingy being stiff and annoying.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The complaints about the P7 squeeze cocker have always reminded me about the ignorance and misunderstandings about the SIG DAK trigger system. The squeeze cocker requires a bit of force to operate, but it’s hardly excessive considering we have three fingers to do it with. After it’s cocked, it can easily be held in position with a normal firing grip; in fact, by way of demonstration, I can keep mine cocked with one finger on the lever. Some people thought it was necessary to squeeze and release the lever for every shot, and would try to do that as they were shooting.

One legitimate complaint about the squeeze cocker was the noise it normally made when it was released. Long ago I met a member of a German state level SEK (SWAT team) member who told me about an exercise they conducted with a national level team (GSG9?) that was armed with P7s. They were able to monitor the location of the opposing team by the constant “clacking” of their pistols as they cocked and decocked. All I could think, though, was, “Why would you do that when searching for armed adversaries?” That was in the days before Glocks became so much of a standard, so perhaps they felt it was unsafe to walk around with a pistol that could be fired by just pulling the trigger.

The decocking clack of the P7 can be avoided, but it requires two hands and, ideally, a mechanical aid (tool) of some sort.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some people thought it was necessary to squeeze and release the lever for every shot, and would try to do that as they were shooting.

I didn't THINK it was necessary, but I found myself in "pump action mode" if I shot other guns and went back to the P7. Shoot and dry fire it several times over about three weeks and I could get back into the proper method.

My main objection to the P7 was that if I took a firing grip as I started to draw, there I was with a cocked pistol still in leather. This made me uncomfortable because I was accustomed to a 1911 which only came off safe as it was aligning with the target. I devised a "plucking" draw that did not squeeze the cocking lever until the gun was coming up, but it was an unusual move for that one gun. So I sold the pistol.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post