SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    357 Sig Fans: P229 Or P226?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 Sig Fans: P229 Or P226? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I'm pretty sure I want a carry pistol in .357 Sig. I plan for this to be an OWB carry, like I used to with my G22.

I already own a P229S.

Some of my own thoughts: I suspect the P226 will tame the 357 Sig round a bit better, but the P229 was designed for the .40 S&W and .357 Sig. Higher round count with the P226, and the grip will probably fit my XL hands better, but the P229 would probably be a more comfortable carry.

I'm wondering if a P226 would actually more-closely resemble my P229S than would a P229, being as my P229S is all SS and has a longer barrel with a compensator?

Question:
P226 or P229?

Choices:
P226
P229

Question:
Do you, or have you ever, owned either in 357 Sig?

Choices:
Yes
No

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I had a P229 DAK in 357sig loved it. And got rid of it for a M&P. Got rid of it. Recently got a 2340 in 40/357. Really like it

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vote was for the P229. I own a P229R and have both .40 S&W and 357SIG barrels for it. It handles the recoil of either extremely well.

I have shot P226s but only in 9mm Luger. I have larger than average adult male hands. Even though the P226 offers a little bit longer grip, the P229 seems to fill my hand a bit better. The grip on the P226 is a bit smaller in circumference up higher toward the control levers.

I am sure that either model would suit quite well. In my opinion, the P229 gives up very little to the P226 in terms of recoil management, sight radius, barrel length, and magazine capacity, but offers distinct advantages in terms of concealability and a quicker draw from holster.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I chose P229 because I own a 2004-vintage P229 in 357SIG. There was no option for "get both". I find it interesting that people who describe themselves as "recoil sensitive" really like my 229 in 357SIG.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have carried a P229 chambered for 357 SIG for nearly two decades, and for several years I shot one almost exclusively in my “serious purposes” training and practice. My first 357 P229 had over 8000 rounds through it when I sold it because it could not be converted to the DAK trigger. In recent years, most of that sort of shooting has been with a P226 chambered for 40 S&W, with the occasional sessions using the 357 SIG barrel.

The longer sight radius of the P226 may help a little with practical accuracy, but it’s not something that I ever notice. I also don’t notice any difference in felt recoil. The 229 is easier to carry and conceal, if only a little. Most of my P226s have accessory rails that permit attaching lights, which I sometimes do, and their longer barrels produce somewhat higher bullet velocities.

The evolution to 357 SIG and 40 S&W from 9mm was the same for both models. Strictly speaking, neither was originally “designed” from the ground up for 357/40.

The 357/40 P229 started life as the 9mm P228; when it was chambered for the more powerful rounds, SIG made the slide a little heavier, developed a stiffer recoil spring, and enlarged the magazine well a little to accommodate wider, larger capacity magazines. They also changed the model number for some reason.

The 357/40 P226 obviously started life as 9mm; when it was chambered for 357/40, SIG made the slide a little heavier and used the same stiffer recoil spring used in 45 ACP P220s. The magazine well and magazine width remained the same. The model number was not changed for some reason.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to vote for the P229.
I have carried the P229 both on duty and off duty for years both in .40S&W and .357sig.

My vote is a bit biased because I have only shot the P226 in 9mm. I don't have very large hands so the P226 does not fit me very well.

Someday I would like to try the P226 with the E2 grip chambered for .357sig.

I have three P229's chambered for .40S&W, and bought a .357sig barrel from a forum member. It is a great combination.

On my dream list is either a SP2022 (older non rail) in .357 SIG or find a 2340 for the same chambering. (Or ones chambered for .40S&W and drop in a .357 SIG barrel)

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a Sig P229 in 357Sig every day, carried it as a condition of employment, seven years post retirement I am leaning toward a recently acquired Sig P239 in 357Sig. Just fits better when sitting.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on what you are going to use the pistol for should determine which one you choose. I currently own and shoot both (born in the '90's). Can't tell that much difference in the recoil. I carry the P229 simply because it feels better and hids easier but I've carried the P226.

Both pistols are extremely accurate with the Speer Gold Dot. I'm sure other folks have good results with other rounds but I've never had any problems with the Gold Dots and don't see any reason to change.

Whichever pistol you choose you cannot go wrong. Good luck in quest!

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it was me, I'd go with the P229 since it has the same grip frame contour and reach.

I have a P229 .40 and a P226 .40. While not huge, there IS a difference in the size, contour and feel of the grips. I like the P226 very much, but if I had it to do over, I'd have gotten a second P229.

It's kinda like the Glock G19 and G17/34. While nominally the same pistol, except for dimensions, I find a distinct difference between them in regard to the grip frame.

You mention you have large hands. Don't know if you have handled a P226, but the grip is slightly slimmer than a P229. Mine are both equipped with G10's and P-SPIT triggers.

As for carry, I don't find a huge difference between the two. I have Sparks IWB and OWB holsters for each. Longer barrel is irrelevant with IWB, but the shorter P229 barrel is a little more versatile with an OWB.

I don't own a .357 Sig, but I have shot a P229 .357. I didn't find anything to "tame". Recoil is close to the .40, but with a different impulse. Sound level of course is different.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I am a BIG 357SIG fan. I have been shooting and loading for it well over two decades now.

While I do own a P226 in 357SIG, I never carry it

I do not believe the extra size over the P229 family is worthwhile in day to day carry. Unless you arewilling togo to the X5 Allround with it's 5" barrel, but now we are adding extra weight. This is what I carry if I am in the open

The P229 is a great platform for the 357SIG cartridge. Bith the P229 and P226 hold 12 rounds with standard capacity magazines. You already have a P229 Sport and probably several magazines for it

However I bet you would like to get something lighter for daily carry

I like the look of the P229 Equinox pistols

Or perhaps a P229 SAS in 357SIG would fill the bill Smile Sorry, but I do not have a photo of mine handy.

Do not concern yourself with the P229 being shorter than the P226. Don't the P229 SPORT mags feel good to you? I have put the Sport style bases on a dozen of my 12 round, full capacity P229 magazines and use them in all myP229s.

These are made by one of our fellow Forum Members,Brad Davis. As you can see they are available in black or silver and can be put on German or Italian magazines. I do not know if he makes them for the Checkmate mags yet.

I have run this cartridge in guns as small as the P2000SK and with barrels as long as 8.3" in an MP5 SMG

I just love the round.

I have a 90 grin JHP that is SUPER Flat shooting out of the P229 Sport. It clears the barrel right at 1700FPS Eek

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Owned both. Shot the 229 for 20+ years, carried it for 10. Owned or shot every single .357sig out there. So many Pepsi challenges. The best .357sig handgun ever made is the 229. But if my intention was carry gun I'd say no to both and buy a HK P2000 and have Robert Burke work the trigger. The Sig shoots better but it's wide and heavy. The P2000 with some trigger work is really damn good. #2 all time 357sig handgun to me but #1 for carry.
Between the 226 and 229, 229 easily. I'd be looking for AF/AG or older. No interest in a new one. I'd want a 90's version.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had both. If I had to take one back it would be the P229. To me it fit better and shot easier.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Since it would not let me move forward without voting on both issues I voted for P229 but I actually think it's a matter of choice and I own 229. As far as the second part the answer is yes. That i. S what I am carrying at present.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have owned both, and my choice is the P226. I prefer it to the P229 in any caliber, and to me it is a little more comfortable to shoot in 357 Sig.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
For some reason, I tend to shoot my P229s better than my longer sight-radius P226. Just seems to point more naturally for me.

Yes, I have 2 P229s in .357Sig ...1 in DAK, the other in DA/SA

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striving for Mediocrity
Picture of operator81
posted Hide Post
I'm issued a P299R in .357 Sig. Reliable, accurate and handles the recoil well. While I would prefer a 9mm, the .357 is a laser beam from contact to 50+ yards and it works well for duty and CCW carry. No complaints. I have not tried it out of P226, but I did have a P226R in .40 back in the day. Preferred the P229 then as well.

3-7-77

Posts: 1213 | Registered: November 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I had a few 229 in .357 but now shoot a glock 32 just like a g19 but nuclear powered.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
I have both a P229 and a P226 (as well as a Glock G32c) in 357 SIG. All 3 of them are good shooters and all 3 can handle the round just fine. You'll go broke on 357 SIG ammo long before you can wear out any of these guns. You have to remember that while the P229 was designed for the 40 S&W originally and hence suits the 357 SIG cartridge well. Current P226s are now built with a solid stainless steel slide that's quite a bit heavier than the original, 9mm, folded/welded steel slide.

All 3 are manageable in 357 SIG. The muzzle blast is more troublesome than the recoil. My G32c is the loudest handgun you're likely to come across.

Between the P226 and P229 it really comes down to which size suits you best for the purpose. The P229 is a bit easier to carry.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have carried a P229 chambered for 357 SIG for nearly two decades, and for several years I shot one almost exclusively in my “serious purposes” training and practice. My first 357 P229 had over 8000 rounds through it when I sold it because it could not be converted to the DAK trigger. In recent years, most of that sort of shooting has been with a P226 chambered for 40 S&W, with the occasional sessions using the 357 SIG barrel.

The longer sight radius of the P226 may help a little with practical accuracy, but it’s not something that I ever notice. I also don’t notice any difference in felt recoil. The 229 is easier to carry and conceal, if only a little. Most of my P226s have accessory rails that permit attaching lights, which I sometimes do, and their longer barrels produce somewhat higher bullet velocities.

The evolution to 357 SIG and 40 S&W from 9mm was the same for both models. Strictly speaking, neither was originally “designed” from the ground up for 357/40.

The 357/40 P229 started life as the 9mm P228; when it was chambered for the more powerful rounds, SIG made the slide a little heavier, developed a stiffer recoil spring, and enlarged the magazine well a little to accommodate wider, larger capacity magazines. They also changed the model number for some reason.

The 357/40 P226 obviously started life as 9mm; when it was chambered for 357/40, SIG made the slide a little heavier and used the same stiffer recoil spring used in 45 ACP P220s. The magazine well and magazine width remained the same. The model number was not changed for some reason.

Actually, the 229 was designed for the .40 and .357 SIG cartridge. The only similar pistol is the 228, in 9MM. The 229, given the heavier recoil and pressure of the .40 and .357 cartridge, was designed for the Milled one piece Slide, as opposed to the Carbon welded steel slide of the 228.

Remember the 1st rule. It's always loaded.

Posts: 108 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: November 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was issued a P229 in 357 Sig for twelve years. The 229 handles the cartridge very well, just remember to change the recoil spring! 357 Sig and 40S&W do accelerate wear and changing out the recoil spring vital.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post