SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Revolvers are a sickness.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Revolvers are a sickness. Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
I came across this S&W 686+ for a good price so I snatched it up. I've already ordered a Wolff Spring kit and "the plug" to replace the internal lock. I can't wait to slick it up and pop away with a "Seven Shooter"!

686 as purchased by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem, I can't pass up a good deal on a nice Smith. Congrats.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Nice one. I like K frames better than L frames, but I would not have passed that one by. I wandered into my LGS and wandered out with a 3" 65-3 (needs a little help) and a model 60 no dash. Parts I need on E-Bay for the 65. Right now it has hammer push off.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, but they are a HEALTHY sickness. Nice M686. I have a 3" M686 that was one of the overruns from the Customs Service a long time back. Narrow front sight blade, round butt. Very good shooter.

During my formative handgun years (1963-1975) I owned about 35 S&W revolvers. Some I kept, some I shot and sold. My sole interest was self-defense. Those were the days of Bill Jordan and Elmer Keith.

I did have a M57 6" and M28 6" that I used for hunting woodchucks in upstate New York. The farmers loved me and it was good discipline for precision shooting.

OK, I admit I did have a Colt Python for a few years. More a work of art than a working handgun!

Gradually, as perps shifted from zip guns to Saturday Night Specials to semi-autos, I eventually transitioned to semi's. Also from one or two guys to multiple assailants.

My heart, however is still with S&W revolvers. Unfortunately with age and arthritis, I can't shoot them very well anymore. Still love my 1911's and classic Sigs though.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
A timely thread! I just picked up this 64-5 today. It was a police trade in apparently. Very good condition though needed some cleaning. I’ll have to do some reloading so I can plink some more but this is going to be a fun one.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you have that 120% Correct Sir.

Was at a gun show just checking the isles intending to just pick up some powder and don't you know there was a 2 1/2 inch model 19 just a laying there saying "Hey there big boy do you want to take me for a nice walk". Now how could anyone ignores a proposition like that I could NOT.

Another time I go into a local gun shop to pick a Beretta 686 I had ordered to celebrate waking up after open heart surgery. They had a vintage flat latch model 36 on the shelf under where he's laid my 686 out for inspection. That one just had to come home with me.

BTW, both were what I call Sock Drawer Specials. Because both were unfired and both had tiny little specks of rust on just on side.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8522 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. My interest in revolvers is only growing with time. Old, blued, S&W revolvers are the epitome of beautiful firearms.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice 64. My very first gun bought nearing four decades ago was a very similar model 67. Still have it, haven’t shot it though in years. My favorite at this point is a tossup between my 3 inch Wiley Clapp GP100 and my 627 Pro.

Posts: 7445 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too. My favorite gun of all time is a pre-lock 64 with a 3 inch barrel, formerly with the Ventura, CA PD. I've not seen another in 35 years.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean. I bought a 627-5 PC today, previous owner used it for competition. Needs a new hammer / trigger but price was right and I'll get 'er running good.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Nice. I feel yer pain. I have a Model 66, Lew Horton special, 3" and ported. Only a 6 banger, but definitely a sweetheart. Enjoy yours.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10907 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Nice score.

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Very nice S&W, excellent for the hip in back country.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1552 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Nice score Rolan, I like that Microtech also. I likes me some Smiths. I have a 4" 686+ that is sweet. I only have a 617 with the lock, where did you order the plug from? Thanks.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
My heart belongs to pre-lock S&Ws as well. The only lock bearing smith that ever interested me was the PC 646(?) L-Frame .40 S&W with the titanium cylinder and 4" full lug barrel. I'm glad to see some of the new J-frame hammerless snubbies turning up without the lock.

Presently my mainstay seems to be N-Frame's and K-Frame .38s more than anything else.

But I loves me some baby chiefs too. And my L-Frame 586 round butt 6".

It's a rare occasion for me to let any pre-lock smith that finds its way to my local pawnshop stay on the shelf for long.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I missed an opportunity to get a 3" 686 a few weeks ago. Still kicking myself but I happened to come across this 66-4 (pre-lock & pre-MIM parts) from the original owner at a more than fair price. It's not pristine but it's very close.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Sadly I’ve fallen into this sickness - is there a support group for this?

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
I only have a 617 with the lock, where did you order the plug from? Thanks.

hberttmank, I got it from Original Precision. https://www.originalprecision.com/. It doesn't take long to install. I figured I'd do it when I installed the spring and stone the sides of the hammer return spring.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
I only have a 617 with the lock, where did you order the plug from? Thanks.

hberttmank, I got it from Original Precision. https://www.originalprecision.com/. It doesn't take long to install. I figured I'd do it when I installed the spring and stone the sides of the hammer return spring.

Thanks Rolan

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post