SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Revolvers are a sickness.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Revolvers are a sickness. Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Damn. I bought this gun for my brother, but I've been wearing it for 3 days now and I may be falling in love!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I'm a sucker for heavy barrel 4" Model 10s. Wish I'd bought more when all the LEO and corrections ones were <$300.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A man can't have to many revolvers or 1911's. My kids put the evil eye on them when they visit. Hopefully they'll have to wait a little longer

Posts: 151 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Went through the safe last week. Checking for any rust issues, wiping them down, etc. Went though a few dozen Smith revolvers still in original boxes.

Had to laugh over a very nice 4" blued, m-19-3. 3T's gun as well as red ramp/white outline rear, with a nice set of diamond target stocks on it. Unfired,like new.

Date on bill of sale 3/1990 a PD trade in, bottom line shipped to Montana, $325!

Found a few J snubbies and Kit guns too , few over $300.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I came across this S&W 686+ for a good price so I snatched it up. I've already ordered a Wolff Spring kit and "the plug" to replace the internal lock. I can't wait to slick it up and pop away with a "Seven Shooter"!

Rolan,
Smith & Wessons are like Lays Potato Chips . . . . You can not have just one

The 7 shot L-frame is a great concept.

You do know that Smith & Wesson makes some very nice 8 shot revolvers chambered in 357 Magnum ?

The Model 327 TRR8 pictured above is a 5" N-frame, but thanks to the Scandium alloy frame and light weight barrel shroud, it weighs only 6/10 of an ounce more than your snub nosed 686+

The 8 shot 357 Magnums came on the scene in 1996 as a Lew Horton Exclusive and have become cataloged items since then. They have been manufactured in Scandium alloy, carbon steel and stainless steel over that time frame. Here are the blue and nickel carbon steel offerings

It is a shame that the Night Guard series came to us too early. The 327 NG makes a wonderful revolver to carry all day

I have been very fond of all the 357 Magnum "8 shooters" since their introduction. Thank You Lew Horton Exclusive for getting the ball rolling

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Yeah, now I'm jonesing for a 3" Model 66.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Rolan, your an enabler.
I'm doing my best to resist.
Smile And this thread is not helping.

Posts: 1541 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I apologize for a thread drift.

I have an unfired, no lock 686+ that is NIB. I am considering selling two or three new unfired Smiths to fund another project under consideration.

What could this S&W sell for in this day of gun prices? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Cough cough”....

Yeah, I’m infected!

Early flat latch Chiefs Special.

Still about all you could want from a compact carry .38.

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice!
quote:
Originally posted by cremaley:
This is my all time favorite revolver for concealed carry. S&W 8 shot .357 2" snub nose.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cremaley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Excellent choice!
quote:
Originally posted by cremaley:
This is my all time favorite revolver for concealed carry. S&W 8 shot .357 2" snub nose.

Thanks. I think S&W hit it out of the park with this one.

Sig P320 X-Compact 9mm
Bul SAS 11 UL 9mm
US Army Veteran
NRA Member

"Remember the first rule of gunfighting...have a gun"-Jeff Cooper

Posts: 152 | Location: Alpharetta, Georgia. | Registered: June 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a SW Model 58 to use as a back up when hunting pigs. I bought it used in the 70s. It is stamped “SAPD”. It’s a police trade in. San Antonio PD once issued these 41 mags as their sidearm. 4in heavy barrel.

The are the fixed sight M&P model set up for the M&P round, which is very manageable. It has slightly more recoil than a 357 with a lot bigger slug. It feels less snappy. It was supposed to be the ideal police round. Large projectile but reduced power compared to a full house magnum round. Revolvers were eclipsed by semi-autos so I guess that’s why SA replaced them as their issued weapon.

It’s a true measured .41 caliber and full power rounds are available that rival the .44 mag. I’ve read that the 44 measurement is actually .43 or .429 so you can see there’s little difference.

I’ve fired the full magnum rounds in it and it never blinks. Shoots low of course. Using M&P loads, the solid sights are right on target.

Great revolver. Solid too.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
Maxdog , you share my partnership & affinity with the Mod. 58. ( bought mine in 1982)
Not the ultimate hunting or self defense gun, but there is something just right about it.❤️
.41 mag is just the best cartridge for revolvers... having handloaded for the .41 as long as I have had it.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 181 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
S&W should renew the Nightguard series.

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I LOVE them more than any other firearm.
I found this one very recently.
My focus is on 357s, but sometimes I cheat with a 38.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
They sure are a sickness. Some nice ones here. Here is one of mine. A Smith and Wesson model 19-3, 4" Texas Ranger commemorative.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I’m actively NOT looking for a cure to that particular ‘sickness’!

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
Here is my regulation police with a 4 inch barrel and target sights. I sent for a letter to authenticate that it was a 4 inch with those sights. I am not a revolver guy but from what i read this is kind of hard to find. Maybe someone here knows more about this.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crap. I just had to reopen this thread and remember that I still need to own a S&W 27 or 27-2 4 inch in my lifetime.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have way too many old S&W revolvers. Here's one of my favorites. Pre-Model 27 with the 3.5 inch barrel.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post