SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    J Frame wooden grips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

J Frame wooden grips Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking to get a set of wooden grips for my SW 442. I can do Google as well as anyone, so I can find lots of options. Just curious what you folks may have used in the past (or currently) and liked, or disliked about 'em?

Thanks, in advance folks....

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It has been a long time, but I used Herrret Shooting Star grips on my J frames. I still have one set for a square butt.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorites are Spegel boot grips. Hand-filling without being bulky. Downside: long wait time if ordering from Spegel. His wait time had been about a year, but I recently heard it is now slightly less. You may be able to find some for sale online or in a classifieds section somewhere. Bonus: AFAIK, he's the only grip maker who makes grips with "ears" that go up the full height of the backstrap on Centennial models.

Another good option are Eagle Secret Service boot grips. I have an older set that works well, but they're not relieved for speedloader clearance. Recent production models are relieved.

A lot of people like Altamont grips. I've tried their boot grips but didn't care for them because the finger grooves were too deep (I'm generally not a fan of finger grooves). Though I did recently find out they have a compact grip available without grooves; I may give them a try at some point.

Ahrends usually have some good options. I tried their non-finger groove boot grips several years ago but didn't care for them as it didn't feel like they had enough for me to hold onto. I believe they do make a version of the banana grip, which I think would be a good option to try...relatively compact, no finger grooves, and allows (or should allow) for a full 3-finger grip. Tip: Get the tung oil finish option. The grips end up smooth and won't snag on clothing, but it provides reasonable traction when you grip it.

A lot of people like to go old school and use the old magna-style grips with a grip adapter. I didn't particularly care for it, but it might be an option worth checking out.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
I have tried several types of wood grips and have found as I aged I prefer something with a larger girth. Currently I have a set of Sile round to square wood grips with a Tyler T addition.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I like these

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I like these

Nice -- are those Altamonts?

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Altamont grip company is great to work with. I have ordered 3 sets from them, they sent me very good communication, and the grips feel, and look great.

Posts: 710 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just put a set of altamonts on a detective special. I like them, but in my opinion grips are like shoes, they can fit one guy great and the next guy not at all, even if they wear the same shoe size.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Yes, those are Altamonts.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wood is nice but I went with these on my S&W Model 60 Pro for control.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/...series.html?___SID=U

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The same grip for a Taurus Judge for the same reason.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/...series.html?___SID=U

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
My S&W Model 640-1 is wearing these cocobolo wood grips by Esmeralda Sheehan. She makes beautiful grips, and is worth the wait if she doesn't have any in stock.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Man, this could be an expensive thread to read. Big Grin

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, everybody. I just placed an order with Altamont. Hopefully I get them quickly! I'll keep reading additional suggestions. Never hurts to have options.....

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a recent convert to the Eagle Secret Service grips. They are hand-filling; small enough for pocket carry; and do not snag on clothing. I bought mine used here on the forum.

Posts: 630 | Registered: September 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I know the ship has sailed, but another vote for Eagle Secret Services in smooth rosewood. They are approximately the size and shape of the ones in pulicords' picture. Although there is no checkering, the surface is not slippery. Putting grips much bigger than that on a gun like this defeats the purpose of its being small.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Redwood25 I hope you like your wood grips. I bought a beautiful set of checkered Ebony secret service j frame grips from Eagle. Sadly I could not keep a good grip on my 638 while firing with them. I went back to the Uncle Mike's rubber boot grips which came with the gun from S&W. Best grip for ME, YMMV.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post