SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Has the 226 fallen from favor?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has the 226 fallen from favor? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The 226 is a classic firearm that many people including myself love. It is accurate and easy to shoot highly reliable. I believe it is good to be in production for quite some time. It is 1 of SIG's flagship handguns. Try one you will love it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
You know, that kind of raises another point. If cheap 2022s brought that model some popularity, maybe relatively cheap used pistols will do the same to some degree for the 226.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I don't think it helps sales of new guns.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
You know, that kind of raises another point. If cheap 2022s brought that model some popularity, maybe relatively cheap used pistols will do the same to some degree for the 226.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
An older P226 is on my want list. Waiting to find one that can be acquired for the contents of my piggy bank.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the eyes of the average person, looking to buy a gun, yes. But, you can’t deny the legacy of the 226, and with any discussion of quality firearms, it’s still just as capable as it ever was.
The popularity of SF guns cannot diminish the capabilities of the 226.
I have a railed and no rail 226, and two M11 A-1’s, which are my next favorite pistol. What am I comparing them to?...other guns I own...DW A2 1911, CZ SP-01 Tactical, and others I’ve shot, G19, CZ Shadow Target, Beretta/Wilson 92 Compact with action job, HK 45.
Long live the 226!

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

I think part of the problem is, because of its stature used 226's still command a respectable price ... If a used 226 is "relatively" cheap, then it's been beat/worn badly ... I think if you compare that a new SF pistol, you can guess which most buyers will go.

Then again, it may depend on your definition of "relatively cheap". Mine is $400-$500 ... $250-$400 is "inexpensive" like a used Ruger MkII or surplus gun like a CZ52, and less than that is cheap, and not to waste my money on. More than $500-$600, and my expectations go up pretty quickly for a basic new gun (Glock) and especially for a used gun. The 226 I bought on GunBroker was $590, $50 shipping and $20 transfer, so $660 delivered ... I think unless it's been bubba-ed by someone trying to "improve the trigger" or something it'll be fine ... based on the 226 reputation!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So true. Classic SIGs and Beretta 92s are still great guns but the marketplace has moved on to subcompact, polymer striker fired pistols. Some people are so tied up in defending their preference for DA/SA that they think acknowledging this obvious shift is implying that hammer guns are now useless.
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
IMO the 226 is the best DA/SA 9mm pistol on the planet. However, I think the DA/SA trigger system has “fallen from favor.” The industry is focused on polymer, striker-fired pistols because that’s what the market wants.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You know, fellas, I think they have fallen so far out of favor that I am going to go to the gunshop and give another one of these orphans a home. Cool

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Take that, you out of favor P226. A little new to me P226 MK25 action.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I have some plastic, striker fired pistols. They function fine, but still prefer hammer fire and an all steel or steel/aluminum frame. These are two of my favorites. I have been looking for a SIG P226ST to join my P220ST.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Take that, you out of favor P226. A little new to me P226 MK25 action.

I saw one of those with the anchor at the show ... dealer couldn’t tell me anything about it. Used, one mag $750 similar 40s&w was $425 ... I almost bought it but I didn’t want another 40 as I hope to shoot it a lot!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the P226 FOTAYs are plentiful and not in demand, since most people don't want FOTAYs these days.

Yes yes, I know some LOVE the FOTAY, but LE has dumped A LOT of P226/229/M&P/Glorp/etc FOTAYs onto the used marked.

To me the P226 is a GREAT pistol, especially in 9MM. I owned one for a number of years and would have no problem being issued or told I had to carry one, I just prefer the Glocks and Berettas these days.

Nice pickup Jones, although you can probably shoot a High Point better than most on the forum with their tricked out blasters. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I think the premise of the question is wrong. The used market has changed radically over the past fifteen years. Now a days, when I walk into a gun shop, it is 90+% new guns. There is very little used inventory out there. Gun shows are more dramatically transformed. They used to be a great place to go wander around and spot the oddball and weird things you hadn't heard of. Now, it is just a place to comparison shop the same new model gun at five dealers within 30 minutes.

There are a number of reasons for this. I think during the Obama years a lot of folks didn't want to sell guns at the same rate. Specific collectors have all migrated to gunbroker. Milsup ammo has dried up, withering the market for the accompanying rifles as cheap shooters. People that do want to sell more mundane stuff don't sell to dealers, they use local forums to post ads for face to face transactions. Meanwhile the cost of newly manufactured guns has dropped. ARs are a fraction of the price they used to be, and now dominate the long gun market. Prices for pistols like glocks, M&Ps, etc, have held at a constant $5-600 for two decades, which reflects a price drop after inflation.

All that said, I don't think walking a gun show looking for used guns is the same indicator of popularity that it was 15-20 years ago.

Plus, it could simply reflect that 226 owners aren't letting them go. Maybe that's because they like the gun.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year I sold a buddy a nice 1988 226 and have been scheming to get it back ever since. The 226 in 9mm is the great white shark of it's time. It was born perfect. It evolved, but it didn't need to.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yes yes, I know some LOVE the FOTAY, but LE has dumped A LOT of P226/229/M&P/Glorp/etc FOTAYs onto the used marked.

I wish they'd dumped a lot more STs.

Fricker frackin' cops' backs, mutter, grumble...

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
It is becoming, in a way, a pistol of the connoisseur. Plastic-framed clickers have opened the market to the masses, but most folks don't want "just a factory gun", which is why the after market for those polymer wunderkinds is booming.... custom frames, cut slides, flat triggers, reflex sights... everyone want to turn that boring plastic pistol into a custom jewel.

That's the problem with making a product that's cheap and reliable for the masses... it becomes a cheap, reliable gun for the masses. Nothing really interesting about that. Glocks are essentially the Honda Civic of handguns.

In a few years, as usually happens, eyes will turn to those things that aren't easily gotten anymore and that scarcity will suddenly make them cool again and the prices will rise, just as older Smith and Wesson P&R wheel guns have done.

I wish I had a ton of extra cash, I'd snag up every Classic P Series Sig I could get right now, because they're only going to get harder to find and get more expensive in the coming years. Worst case is if some hugely successful action movie comes out and the star uses a slick P226... all the kiddies that were weaned on polystrikers will say "Whoa, what's that!?", then use their Google-Fu to find out, then drive the prices up buying them all off Gunbroker.

They may be out of favor, but get yours now. In a few years we'll be saying "Remember back in the day all those LEO trade in P226's for $440? Man, I miss those days!"

Act now, the millennial's are standing by....

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ewills:
I have some plastic, striker fired pistols. They function fine, but still prefer hammer fire and an all steel or steel/aluminum frame. These are two of my favorites. I have been looking for a SIG P226ST to join my P220ST.

Whoa dang!
SAO sweetness I say

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
It is becoming, in a way, a pistol of the connoisseur. Plastic-framed clickers have opened the market to the masses, but most folks don't want "just a factory gun", which is why the after market for those polymer wunderkinds is booming.... custom frames, cut slides, flat triggers, reflex sights... everyone want to turn that boring plastic pistol into a custom jewel.

That's the problem with making a product that's cheap and reliable for the masses... it becomes a cheap, reliable gun for the masses. Nothing really interesting about that. Glocks are essentially the Honda Civic of handguns.

In a few years, as usually happens, eyes will turn to those things that aren't easily gotten anymore and that scarcity will suddenly make them cool again and the prices will rise, just as older Smith and Wesson P&R wheel guns have done.

I wish I had a ton of extra cash, I'd snag up every Classic P Series Sig I could get right now, because they're only going to get harder to find and get more expensive in the coming years. Worst case is if some hugely successful action movie comes out and the star uses a slick P226... all the kiddies that were weaned on polystrikers will say "Whoa, what's that!?", then use their Google-Fu to find out, then drive the prices up buying them all off Gunbroker.

They may be out of favor, but get yours now. In a few years we'll be saying "Remember back in the day all those LEO trade in P226's for $440? Man, I miss those days!"

Act now, the millennial's are standing by....

You mean like what's happening with 3rd Generation S&W's now?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When "Lethal Weapon" came out in 1987, suddenly everyone had to have a Beretta 92.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
A P226 or P229 in .40 is a fine gun. Tames the caliber quite well. No it's not as mild as shooting 9mm but its recoil is more than reasonable given the bump in power. All of this coming from a feller who's anything but a big, burly, buff dude.

We've gotten away from a lot of used guns these days, SIGs being one of the brands that we don't buy much of. Too many owners think too highly of those guns that they are now willing to offload. For us if we bring something in they have to be put in the display case at price points that will given them a chance to move in a certain allotted amount of time. Most consigners and sellers don't understand that, or refuse to understand. They just fixate on not getting 'ripped off'. Then there are those who regard us as some sort of charitable service, as if we didn't have any business costs to deal with. ("You mean I have to pay for a gun transfer? Really?" Roll Eyes)

With these situations I almost always inevitably point them to GB or Armslist and tell them that they will have to do the legwork themselves if they even hope to get what they want out of the transfer.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post