SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Has the 226 fallen from favor?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has the 226 fallen from favor? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
You know, fellas, I think they have fallen so far out of favor that I am going to go to the gunshop and give another one of these orphans a home. Cool

Good on you Jerry, make sure you feed it lots.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
You know, fellas, I think they have fallen so far out of favor that I am going to go to the gunshop and give another one of these orphans a home. Cool

Good on you Jerry, make sure you feed it lots.

I couldn't even find one in a pawn shop ... Good luck!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmw
posted Hide Post
I swore a few years ago that I would not own another .40. But when I found a LN CPO 226 pre rail in my city off Armslist, I had to check it out. Anyway, It was advertised at 350 with 2 very nice holsters and a box of ammo.. I didn't even haggle. It's very accurate, and soft shooting. I will be keeping this one. During the ammo shortage, I couldn't find 9, but .40 was on the shelf. To me, that's a great reason to keep one in the safe.

Posts: 510 | Location: ohio, usa | Registered: December 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I agree, 40 is a decent round and it being on the shelf during an ammo shortage is a plus, and I have a couple for that reason ... if I found one for $350 I wouldn't haggle either, he's making you buy it!

My 226 finally showed up ... Supposedly the hurricane slowed it down Roll Eyes but the guy lives in Michigan. He said he took it to his dealer on Tuesday but UPS shows it didn't ship until Friday ... Anyway, it's very nice and has hardly any wear. Came with the 2 15rnd factory mags and 3 18rnd MecGars', a hogue grip, box and paperwork. Oh, the cable lock and chamber flag too!

posted Hide Post
I've often said that I don't regularly carry any of my six P226s, but if you ever see one on my hip, you'll know I'm going to war. I used to think the P229 was the best handgun ever, until I bought a P226.

________________________________________________________________________________________
“How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 125 | Location: Pikesville, MD | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I took mine to the range today, first time I've ever shot a 226 (or any P22x pistol) and at 50 yards I was ringing the man-size silhouette (head to waist) 12 out of 15 rounds with all 5 mags ... I don't think I've ever shot any pistol better out of the box ... The first mag was fairly slow as I was getting used to the sights, trigger pull and reset, the next 2 progressively faster and the last 2 (18 round mags) I was just presenting and shooting 3 round taps.

I've always thought the gun looks blocky and awkward (not to mention fairly expensive), which is why I'm 60 and just buying my first one ... I'm amazed at how natural it felt and well it preformed for me.

Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
The current issue of Recoil magazine has 2 interesting articles; one on the Browning Hi Power redone and modernized and another on the P226.

I suspect that those magazine articles will drastically raise the values of used Hi Powers and 226's.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like Sigs, but the cost is hard for me to pony up for when I can get a couple of older cool things for the same price.

I am in a profession that I can't CCW in [education], and live in a state that is hard to CCW [California], so it is primarily for fun.

IF the P226 or P229 were around $600, I'd have one.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My new-to-me MK25. A local shop has a new one & I've been seriously thinking about buying it, but I found this used one yesterday for a killer price. The previous owner states that it has never been carried or fired.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kimberkid- you got your hands on a really clean gun. It looks like it hasn't been shot hardly at all. The magazines are all pristine and not even scraped up from going in and out of the magwell.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I took mine to the range today, first time I've ever shot a 226 (or any P22x pistol)...at 50 yards...I don't think I've ever shot any pistol better out of the box...I've always thought the gun looks block and awkward...I'm amazed at how natural it felt and well it preformed for me.

Why you don't have one of the earlier P220s with the European heel mag release in 9mm or one of the other sub-.45 options is beyond me. You have seriously cheated yourself.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
The current issue of Recoil magazine has 2 interesting articles; one on the Browning Hi Power redone and modernized and another on the P226.

I suspect that those magazine articles will drastically raise the values of used Hi Powers and 226's.

Highly doubt it. Not even a little.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:

Highly doubt it. Not even a little.

Wow. I didn't realize a rag article from a still relatively obscure publication (even within the gun world) would have that much pull and influence. Roll Eyes The editors over at Guns & Ammo must be cringing in their boots.

Q is right. The market isn't going to move anywhere based on some writer's story. Hell, the market bare budges when mass shootings scar the headlines. Plus there are a ton of inexpensive, well-used Hi Powers floating out there. Plenty of pristine ones as well, and an ample supply of ones in between. Very much the same with the P226. Money will rule any market change, and right now there's not enough of that green stuff to go around to sharpen actual demand.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Kimberkid- you got your hands on a really clean gun. It looks like it hasn't been shot hardly at all. The magazines are all pristine and not even scraped up from going in and out of the magwell.

The only mag with any marks on it is probably the one in it, it does have the paint thin and scraped at the funnel, the pawn shop owner asked "How I got it for so cheap?" and I told him it was on GunBroker ... maybe the low price scared other bidders off. He was really impressed as it showed almost no wear even on the recoil rod!
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I took mine to the range today, first time I've ever shot a 226 (or any P22x pistol)...at 50 yards...I don't think I've ever shot any pistol better out of the box...I've always thought the gun looks block and awkward...I'm amazed at how natural it felt and well it preformed for me.

Why you don't have one of the earlier P220s with the European heel mag release in 9mm or one of the other sub-.45 options is beyond me. You have seriously cheated yourself.

Back 20 or so years ago I worked gunshows with a guy that ran a little pawn shop and in return for helping him he would let me put out a few of my own and eventually would buy an extra table for me ... I had traded into an early 220/45acp with the heel release and a guy standing next to him during the deal asked what I wanted for it as soon as the 1st guy that traded it in walked away ... I really didn't know what it was worth, it wasn't real fancy like a target model and I don't remember what the 1st guy traded for. So I gave him what I thought was an "I don't want to sell it price", I priced it about $500 over what I had in it because even though it had a heel release (which I wasn't fond of) I wanted to shoot it ... the 2nd guy didn't blind, just pulled out a wad of cash and walked away with it ... I knew right then I sold it too cheap!

After that I just didn't come across any and didn't go out looking for one ... in the grand scheme of things, and after shooting the 226 I can admit, you're right!