SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Has the 226 fallen from favor?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has the 226 fallen from favor? Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You could categorize the P226 with the BHP & 1911 as classics. Although they may not sell like days of old as smaller and poly (less $$) are the rage, a lot of folks already own a P226 and just don’t carry them. You’d be hard pressed to find a better pistol if stuck in a shit storm Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not out of favor in my house. I'm looking at Legion P226s now, trying to decide between the SAO and the DA/SA.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You are just seeing the LE drop older weapon, specifically 40S&W since it's usually very cost effective to sell them off and get new P320/G19-17/S&W MP, etc, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I know it's just me and I'm only one person, but I've never owned a striker-fired pistol and I doubt I ever will. A P226 is a bit large for my small hands, but I love my P229 and P239.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can, find an older P226. Ship it to Sig and have it gone over by the factory, which will include night sights. The gun will function like new. I have done this several times and the end cost was around 300 bucks less than a new 226.
Which lands you in the same price range as a new top end poly / striker gun.
And you wind up with one of the finest pistols money can buy!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
They don't seem to hold their value, so I feel like people don't put them on the used market often, because they don't want to sell a pistol for $500 that they paid $850 for.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
That's pretty common for about any thing, it deprecates in value when it's no longer "new" there are few exceptions for anything that is still in current production.

My "used" one, 9mm Elite Enhanced ... in the box, with papers and 5 mags was $590 ... after shipping and transfer, $660

The same gun new, on Gunbroker sells for about $950 + shipping & transfer or sales tax if you live in the same state or buy it local.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P226 rules the roost here. I just picked up an RX slide for mine.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
Not out of favor in my house. I'm looking at Legion P226s now, trying to decide between the SAO and the DA/SA.

Get the SAO. Smile

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimg1960:
If you can afford it get the rx. For roughly 200 more you get milled slide and the Romeo1. And the xchange kit is cheaper if you don’t want the rx all the time.
however I don’t think sig has a regular slide xchange yet for legion..

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MSB9021:
I think S&W would rather just forget revolver manufacturing altogether .

I see your point. They have only two or three revolvers offered on their website. *cough*

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
From a new gun perspective, we don't carry as many P226s as we used to. The Mk25 has lost its luster ever since the G19 became "their gun"; very few look at the SIG as 'the SEAL gun' anymore so it languishes in the display case. OTOH, we have far less problem promoting the Legion P226s (actually, Legions in general); with those guns many customers like and covet. The other models have been slugs, so we rarely bring in the SSE or other Elite models. Even the RX gets overlooked; most are frothing over the 320s instead. Even the P229 sales have slowed considerably for us, but they have been doing better than the full size variants.

Among new gun buyers the P226 appeals to a more limited audience. But I don't think it's primarily due to its design, heft or action configuration. I DO think that it's mostly due to its relatively lofty price points. When you can almost buy TWO 320Fs vs a single P226 (depending upon configuration), the alloy one becomes a damn hard sell for almost all but the most diehard DA/SA faithful. 'Value' becomes the linchpin in making that sale, and far too many folks aren't finding it with the alloy SIGs. In a lot of ways it feels like the same sort of market invisibility that new BHPs were suffering through before FNH pulled the plug on that classic.

Soggy, how do the P225A1s sell?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say it has fallen out of favor. There are just SO MANY choices in that size of 9mm or even .40 pistol these days.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have me wondering now... I picked up my new P226RX today. Checked it out in the store and everything looked fine. Didn't notice until I got home but the mfg date on the case was June 14, 2017! Yes, 2017. Are sales of these so slow that it has been sitting in a distributor warehouse for over a year? Any reason to complain about it? I doubt I would get anywhere with it.

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I still carry one.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Soggy, how do the P225A1s sell?

About as flat as the P226s these days. Nothing like when it was new to the market.

When you even have SIG themselves offering a smaller 9mm solution that has MORE firepower, the die for the P225-A1 is cast. That one is going to be nothing more than a niche market handgun, much like the P239 was. Too much competition at far lower prices. For every P225-A1 we sell, probably 60-75 Shields will leave our shop over same period of time. Some of that would be helped along by favorable specials from S&W but that's the reality of the kind of focus that the market has. G43s do about the same. P365s would be even worse for the P225-A1...if we could ever get enough of them to make a dent on demand.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
My Legion P226 SAO is by far my favorite pistol, right behind my P220 Carry Elite and P220-10. I really like the P320's etc, but I am one of those folks who prefers the feel of a solid pistol that the polymer frames just don't deliver. After all, what if you have to whack a surly bartender?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Since I got one in SAO it will never leave my possession.

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 226 is not going anywhere.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Compared to most plastic pistols, classic steel sigs are expensive. So its a big chunk of change for a gun that many find too big and heavy to carry.

I am not one of those people however. Pistols will come and go but my 225 and 226 are here to stay.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
I like and have been carrying the P320 (every single version including the X's) - but the 226 is still my all time favorite. It was my first pistol. Aside from a simple railed 226, and a Tac-Ops, I have the Legion, and several X-5's.
Worse, I just fell into the RX trap because of JJones, and it is eye opening (c'mon, that's puny). I ordered 2 new holsters (to accommodate the MRO) and have started carrying the 226 again.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post