SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Check those mags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check those mags Login/Join 
posted
I went to load my new red box 229 in 40 cal for the first time with my Uplula and something just didn't feel right. Lots of resistance and bullets tended to nose dive inside the mag. I took the mags apart and found that the springs were installed backwards and the followers had rough edges where they made contact with the metal shell. These rough edges just seemed to be material extruded from the original manufacture. I filed off the rough edges, cleaned and oiled the mag internals, especially in the corners where they make contact, and re-installed with the springs in their correct position. Made a world of difference in loading. These appeared to be new mags so this issue is not just a red box thing. FWIW

Posts: 256 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yup. I just got a used gun in yesterday and when inspecting it at the lgs prior to accepting it, I noticed that the follower was floppy. Took the mag apart and discovered the spring was in upside down. Quick fix...literally took me about 30 seconds standing there in the store, but it would have been a problem if I hadn't caught it.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, I had a vp9 that would nosedive rounds and ran like crap suppressed. I never did check the mags before trading it off. I wonder if that was the issue.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I've had a brand new Glock mag that would not load past 8 or 9 rounds. Took it apart and found that there was some excess polymer flashing from the mag tube was lifted up and snagging on the spring.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DansSIGs:
OP,
Lubing the inside of a magazine body will only collect dust/dirt.

Not good.

The plastic has it's own natural lubrication properties....dry.

One of the pluses of the glock mags. But I too have found that dry lubes like the special hornady one shot helps with mags doesn’t collect crappola but then I don’t do the shooting games where they end up in the dirt. I also make sure I have extra springs on hand. I am not overly fond of the Wolff recoil springs and that is just blind prejudice based on the fact that they don’t look like and I have lots of OEM ones. I love their magazine springs. But yeah one needs to insert them properly. I have heard that one can order MecGar replacement springs from them but one needs to call their CS. Waiting on some wolff springs for original 15 round P226 mags. Longer lead time than usual makes me wonder if that stuff too is getting bought up as well as ammo and reloading supplies.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
OP,

Not good.

The plastic has it's own natural lubrication properties....dry.

When I say I lubed the inside, I didn't mean that I simply sprayed some oil. I put oil on a cotton swab and rub it mainly in the corners and then rub it off with some pressure with a dry swab. This tends to smooth out the dry roughness of the matte finish in those areas. I also spray some silicone on the follower and rub it dry. Like others have stated, I'm not running my guns in competitions or constantly carrying. They sit mostly in a safe or night stand so there is very little chance they will pick up any dirt or lint. I've done this with nearly all my mags for many years and never had a problem.

Posts: 256 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
OP,

Not good.

Yes and no. I’ve had some crap tastic mags in my lifetime. I saw an entire line of police P226 guns shit the bed with brand new phosphate coated mags. The fix? Spray lube into the magazines. Run 100% after that. I’ve also seen .308 mags shit the bed and needing lubrication.

Based on my experiences, mags are much more reliable when disassembled and liberally oiled. Of course, wipe out as much oil as you can with a dry cloth to leave the tiniest fraction of oil left behind. I scrub the insides of my mags with an old bore brush which knocks off the high edges and makes the follower and rounds less likely to stick or jam.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
OP,

Not good.

Yes and no. I’ve had some crap tastic mags in my lifetime. I saw an entire line of police P226 guns shit the bed with brand new phosphate coated mags. The fix? Spray lube into the magazines. Run 100% after that. I’ve also seen .308 mags shit the bed and needing lubrication.

Based on my experiences, mags are much more reliable when disassembled and liberally oiled. Of course, wipe out as much oil as you can with a dry cloth to leave the tiniest fraction of oil left behind. I scrub the insides of my mags with an old bore brush which knocks off the high edges and makes the follower and rounds less likely to stick or jam.

+1