SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Slides for a "Not-a-Glock"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slides for a "Not-a-Glock" Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I have always been a "no aftermarket parts in my Glock" -type, with few exceptions. Overwatch Precision triggers, maybe, but nothing else.
If anyone has been watching the auctions, OEM Glock slides with a barrel are going for more than a complete gun due to the 80% phenomenon.
So, who makes a legitimate reliable alternative to OEM Glock? Is there a slide that you would trust when shooting for life, money, or meat? One to mount on a P80 frame.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have run enough rounds through a Brownells branded slide to trust it.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got one of the Brownells slides and it is well machined and has a nice, durable looking finish. The price is right on them, too.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brownells makes a good slide with no fitment issues. Lone Wolf as well.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The Brownells ones look pretty attractive. I don't see anything from them in calibers other than 9mm.
Lone Wolf has been at it the longest. The different lines (Alpha Wolf?) are a bit confusing. Different levels of quality or what? I have a hankering for a 10mm Longslide. It seems that LW is the only option there.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one Lone Wolf slide, a stainless one. It is "ok." Bead blasted on the outside but some minor machining marks on the underside. The bead blast would also best be described as "adequate." OEM parts all fit into the slide fine, I just was hoping for a little "nicer."

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a small company here in NC that seems to be making a good product. ROCK SLIDE USA Lots of options for cutouts and finishes. You can buy a bare slide or get a complete upper. Prices seem to be in line with what's out there. Not the fastest shipping, but when the product does arrive, it is pretty solid.

Posts: 45 | Registered: June 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I have seen the Rock Slide name out there but didn't know anything about it.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
I've got a Gen5 G17 frame that I've been mulling over what slide to get for it. Plain jane aftermarket slides are all but impossible to find, and I'm rather OCD when it comes to using a non-numbers matching factory slide and/or barrel, though I'm on a couple of waiting lists for just such a slide if one should show up. Even with the contorted, mutilated, tarted up Gucci Gen5 slides, there are only two or three brands that seem to show up everywhere. I'm not adverse to using aftermarket parts by any means, since I've had excellent results in the past augmenting my mostly factory Glocks that I rely upon. But in the end and in spirit, it's a damn GLOCK and I strongly prefer that any build that I do maintain the tried and true KISS principle, the foundation that makes Glocks what they are. Designer slides and titanium-coated fluted barrels are just too...wrong, at least in my mind.

But it's been a lot harder and more painful to follow through on that ethos than I ever imagined it would be. Gen5 support is nothing like it is for the Gen3 Glock format.

-MG

Posts: 1978 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I've got a slide from Gabe Suarez's outfit.

https://suarezinternational.co...ot-slides-for-glock/

Around holiday times, he might offer slide/barrel/parts bundles for a good price. At least that's how I got mine.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have run Zev, and a cheap and not cheap Swenson. All three have been flawless. All run on P80 frames. All run Faxon barrels and utilize mostly Glock upper parts sans an APEX extractor in the Zev slide.

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I bought two assembled Zev butterfly slides for my G19 clone at a Black Friday sale.

Sold one on eBay, so the other one cost me about $40.

It runs great and I had enough left over for a box fluted barrel.

Posts: 9139 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have a custom lone wolf slide I ordered about 14 years ago. It has held up well. I carried it daily for about 3 years, and I was happy with the quality back then. Enough, that I've got 2 builds in the works and had planned on ordering through them. The cost has been my concern. They cost more than buying a whole firearm new from the manufacturer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced my G34 slide with a Suarez as it was the same price as a quality optics cut anyways. Great fit and finish. Hard to judge accuracy as I changed the barrel out as well but it's a shooter. All dimensions are proper and the rmr cut is proper which isn't true for all slides. The machining is very well done. I'm happy and will continue to buy from their shop. The quality is there for sure.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post