SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith 340pd?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith 340pd? Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The 340 suffers from bullet pull, so aluminum cases shouldn't be used in my opinion. Plus, no decent defensive loads use aluminum cases, so no, you should not load your 340 with aluminum case ammo.

You have to test the ammo to make sure it doesn't pull out of the case. You do this by shooting 4 rds, and then looking at the 5th rd to see if the bullet has pulled out of its case. Then do it a couple more times, using that same bullet as the 5th, unfired rd, to monitor it. You'll notice that not all rds are the same, and some should not be loaded into a 340, unless you like the idea of jamming up your gun when you need it most.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I should have stated that I already have a 638, which i believe is very similar in weight to the 642 as the only difference is the shrouded hammer. I just like the looks of for 340pd and the option of the 357 mag, even though it would be painful to shoot.

Funny thing is recent data shows that the 357 mag out of the snubbie is actually less potent than a 9mm +P out of the same platform. Force was like 361 ft-lbs from the 9mm and like under 340 ft-lbs from the 357 (124 vs 125 grain I believe). MAC on YouTube did a cool test the other day and he results were surprising. Now add a few inches and the ballistics change back in favor of the 357. Really interesting.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I should have stated that I already have a 638, which i believe is very similar in weight to the 642 as the only difference is the shrouded hammer. I just like the looks of for 340pd and the option of the 357 mag, even though it would be painful to shoot.

Funny thing is recent data shows that the 357 mag out of the snubbie is actually less potent than a 9mm +P out of the same platform. Force was like 361 ft-lbs from the 9mm and like under 340 ft-lbs from the 357 (124 vs 125 grain I believe). MAC on YouTube did a cool test the other day and he results were surprising. Now add a few inches and the ballistics change back in favor of the 357. Really interesting.

Saw the same video. Really was amazing. While a full 357 mag sounds great in such a light package, his testing clearly showed that you are better off w/ a Glock 43 or P365 as far as ballistics. The .38+p seemed downright anemic in comparison as well.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the M&P 340 and love the gun, the front big dot nite sight is the clincher for me (along with no lock). I also own a 638 and this gun is definitely lighter in the pocket. I've shot regular 38's, +P 38's and also the 135 grain 357's. I wouldn't want to run through a box of them, but they are still definitely manageable. I keep it stocked with the 135 short barrel gold dots.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lordhamster:
The .38+p seemed downright anemic in comparison as well.

Yeah, it's not a great cartridge but the Speer 135gr 38+P Short Barrel load has a nice established history of putting people down.

Sure a 9MM+P is going to be more effective and when carrying IWB, I prefer a G43 / G19, but for a pocket / ankle gun the J-frame is very hard to beat as a package (easy to draw, able to shoot from the pocket, reliable, etc). The weights, size, and shape of the G43 / P365 class guns make them a non-starter for a pocket gun for me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The federal HST 135 +P is solid as well...
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by lordhamster:
The .38+p seemed downright anemic in comparison as well.

Yeah, it's not a great cartridge but the Speer 135gr 38+P Short Barrel load has a nice established history of putting people down.

Sure a 9MM+P is going to be more effective and when carrying IWB, I prefer a G43 / G19, but for a pocket / ankle gun the J-frame is very hard to beat as a package (easy to draw, able to shoot from the pocket, reliable, etc). The weights, size, and shape of the G43 / P365 class guns make them a non-starter for a pocket gun for me.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

I'm a huge HST fan and have it in all my 9MMs but still have a bunch of Speer 38/357Mag for my revolvers. But I'd have no hesitation about moving to HST in those once I deplete my stash.

Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Anyone carry one of these? Or even just own for fun? Are they really worth over double what the 642 airweight goes for? Does it feel that much lighter?

The 340PD and M&P 340 are noticeably lighter to me in the pocket than a regular Airweight (642/442). On the belt IWB or OWB, I can't tell the difference. The better front sights are definitely a plus. The price difference is worth it to me if I'm paying in the $550 range for a used one but I wouldn't pay full price. I actually ended up trading my last 340 since I only shoot .38 Special out of those light J frames anyway and I'm using Crimson Trace LG-405 lasergrips, so the better front sight doesn't really matter. I paid $575 for both an unfired Performance Center 442 (no-lock) and brand-new CT LG-405 lasergrips. It's a great combo for me.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I once rented a Scandium S&W 340 and fired a box of 50 rounds of .38 Special through it. My hand hurt for two days afterwards...

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I watched a gelatin demo sponsored by federal. The 38 +P HST load through three snubframed revolvers. The penetration was impressively consistent as well as the expansion and velocity. I’m ok moving on from my Nyclads Wink
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

I'm a huge HST fan and have it in all my 9MMs but still have a bunch of Speer 38/357Mag for my revolvers. But I'd have no hesitation about moving to HST in those once I deplete my stash.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before you buy a j-frame 357 magnum you need to watch the recent MAC YouTube video. It is rather shocking. 357 magnum out of a 2 inch barrel has less velocity and energy than 9 mm. The 357 doesn't reach maximum pressure until after the bullet has already exited the short barrel. So you get all the recoil and half the energy.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I carried a Model 342 (titainium J-frame, .38 Special) as a BUG and dreaded qualifying with it. I could shoot it alright, but using standard pressure .38 loads left my palm aching for hours afterwards. People complain about the recoil from the little Seecamp LWS380, but as soon as I got mine and fired it, I sold off the lightweight S&W...gladly!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hamfisted
posted Hide Post
I have both models and honestly if you're looking at a $700 snubby I would look closer at the Kimber K6S. It has 6 rounds, a far superior trigger, and replaceable sights. It's rated for .357 as well, and handles them better than the 340.

-Mike

Posts: 270 | Location: Ft Lauderdale | Registered: October 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does the Kimberly K6 pocket carry?

Picture of Hamfisted
posted Hide Post
I routinely carry it in my the top pocket of my pants (here in Florida this time of year it's cargo shorts...). I carry it in a pocket holster and it's fine. Looks like a wallet in your pocket. It's stainless, so it's a little heavier than the alloy J-frames. But the grip, sights and trigger, and over all feel of the gun is worth the trade, and of course the sixth round is a plus. I've had my 340 a long time. It's a great little gun. Never an issue, but I did do a trigger job on it. I got it back when they were about $400. I don't think I'd be buying one at today's prices. The Kimber comes with Crimson Trace grips but this one didn't come with the laser grips. I may put some on it but I'm waiting for the new style grips Crimson is coming out with for the K6.

-Mike

Posts: 270 | Location: Ft Lauderdale | Registered: October 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just curious, well done toting that 23oz beast around! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I had a S&W 337 for a while (a short while). It's a .38 made of scandium and titanium and weights about 10.5 ounces.

After about five rounds I couldn't hold a pencil for a week.

Sure was easy to carry though...

We Don't Rent Pigs

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 07, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman: So you get all the recoil and half the energy.
explain that from a physics perspective please. Also note that as far as recoil comparisons are concerned, MAC was comparing apples to oranges. A steel framed steel cylinder 9mm against a scandium/titanium 340 357. Half the weight, twice the recoil. Assuming equal weight projectiles going equal speeds.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are mixing up what I said. Compare a 4 inch 357 with a 2 inch barrel model. The bullet has left the 2 inch barrel before the gases have reached maximum pressure so the gases are no longer pushing the bullet. The gas just escapes out the muzzle and is wasted. You still feel the recoil of those gases but they aren't doing anything to push the bullet. The muzzle energy of a 357 out of the j frame is half the energy out of a 4 inch barrel. 9mm on the other hand reachs maximum pressure and bullet velocity in very short barrel. So a 9mm fired out of a 2 inch barrel is losing very little velocity compared to a full size pistol. Since the 9mm out of a j frame or Glock 43 has the same muzzle energy as the 357 j frame it sure makes sense to me to go with the much lower recoiling 9mm

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
While full-power .357 loads are not much fun at all in the 340pd, if you can get within a few feet of your target, the massive gout of flame from the barrel will likely immolate a bad guy long before the bullet causes him to bleed out. Smile

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post