SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    More Options for Sig in 380 Auto
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Options for Sig in 380 Auto Login/Join 
posted
I have been wondering for the past couple of months on this topic and I wanted to finally post a topic on it. I know that Sig has the P232 and the P238 in 380 Auto, but why not a polymer striker fired handgun? With the introduction of the P320 and its modularity, why not make a 380 Auto version of it. Yes the 9mm pistols are much better to handle than other higher power cartridges, but there might be some people that need the lower recoil of the 380. Most other companies have at least 1 380 in their collection, but Sig has not entered that arena yet. Even the P365 would be a good platform for a 380 version. I have a P365 and it is snappy of course because it is a small 9mm. Would 380, make it more shootable for those that need that lower recoil?

Maybe I am thinking too much about it, but look for any discussion on this.

Posts: 2 | Location: Douglasville GA | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
They tried. Wasn't enough interest...

https://sigsauerguns.com/sig-s...p-290rs-380-edc.html

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by japander:
..... I know that Sig has the P232 and the P238 in 380 Auto, but why not a polymer striker fired handgun? With the introduction of the P320 and its modularity, why not make a 380 Auto version of it. .....

SIG did make a 380 version of the P250, which was the hammer-fired twin of the P320.
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
They tried. Wasn't enough interest...

https://sigsauerguns.com/sig-s...p-290rs-380-edc.html

The P290RS was hammer-fired.

I'll let the CEO of Ruger explain why striker-fired 380s are rare:
quote:
Q. I really like the Ruger LC9s® Pro. I also like the Ruger LC380®. Can you tell me if Ruger has any plans to release a striker fired model of the LC380®?

Striker-fired guns are typically "cock-on-close" and, as a result, they require a recoil spring that is substantially stronger than the striker spring so that they can compress (cock) that spring when returning the slide into battery (on close). But the 380 is not powerful enough to reliably compress a recoil spring that is also strong enough to overcome the striker spring. So 380 is not a great choice for cock-on-close striker mechanism.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum from Gainesville, GA.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Another welcome to the OP.

Do look of course at the SW MP EZee 380.

Resembling an MP , but not.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum. I tend to overthink things as well. The size of the P320 wouldn't take advantage of the smaller cartridge dimensions as far as concealability is concerned without a different magazine and grip module to do so. Not sure how the P365 architecture would come in to play. Their best 380 Sig that I've had is a P238 HD. Can't go wrong with that one.

Now I'll have to tinker with one of the grip modules and turn the idea over in my head a few times. It can't be as difficult as converting a Glock to .38 Super... Hmmm.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The Smith EZ 380 Shield is by all accounts selling well. I like mine. If ANYONE manages to sell a similar .380 polymer gun that holds 15 rounds, it would sell like madness. Gang buster hotcakes. I am surprised the gun folks haven't figured this out. Market it to older folks or women, and they couldn't make enough of them.

If I could get a Glock 17 sized polymer railed.380 pistol that was reliable and held 17 rounds, it would instantaneously be placed in my wifes bed side gun safe.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
The Smith EZ 380 Shield is by all accounts selling well. I like mine. If ANYONE manages to sell a similar .380 polymer gun that holds 15 rounds, it would sell like madness. Gang buster hotcakes. I am surprised the gun folks haven't figured this out. Market it to older folks or women, and they couldn't make enough of them.

SIG made -and discontinued- a largely neglected 15-round .380 version of the P250 (shown on the right in the photo).

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
At one of the classes I took at SIG Academy, there was a woman rocking one of those 250s in .380. She shot that thing lights out and I was amazed at the capacity for size. (Not really that amazing, but not like you see a 15 round .380 all the time, or ever.)

I'd actually love to have one for kicks, and there are few guns I say that about.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post