SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Talon grips on a duty pistol?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Talon grips on a duty pistol? Login/Join 
Member
posted
Looking for your input, as I'm considering trying out the granulated ones. Are they an "improvement" over bare frame? Durability? Increased control? Etc.. Smile

Used to use a Hogue Handall grip on the Gen 4, but with the Gen 5 I've been running it without a grip or even a back strap. Coworker has the rubber Talon and seems to like it, and I've been on the fence about the granulated ones but figured I'd ask here before I spent $20 and went through the process.

I searched this forum for "Talon duty" but didn't see a prior thread on this, so if this has been discussed and I missed it, my apologies.

Thanks in advance.


________________
tempus edax rerum
 
Posts: 986 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Talon makes some nice stuff.
All pre-cut to fit. It lasts if you don't get too crazy with what you're cleaning it with (solvents).

Some of the "granular" stuff I'm not a fan of, it seems to wear off too fast. Skateboard tape as well.

3M has a No-Skid tape that is pretty aggressive, and an adhesive that sticks! I think it's about $15 at Home Depot for a whole roll. 3M also has a rubbery type tape that Im looking at as well.


_____________________________________________________________________

"When its time to shoot, shoot. Dont talk!"

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
 
Posts: 5866 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I prefer the rubberized Talon Grip, but regardless.. I’ve never had an issue with them. Follow the directions and try not to remove and reapply too much and you’ll be good. They stay put.


"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
 
Posts: 5635 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using the newest hogue handALL beaver tail on my G17 Gen5 with a TLR-1. I like it a lot more than the old plain HandALL. I realize you were asking about Talons but since you mentioned your past handALL I thought I’d mention this.
 
Posts: 1425 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
I have the rubber talon on my 42 and 43. I am a big fan. No issues with it moving or coming off. I think it's one of the best bang for the buck improvements.
 
Posts: 200 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I had the rubber version on my G22 for about 18 months before I retired. They held up pretty well, only curling slightly at the corners. For the what they cost, I'd just replace them annually if I was still working the road.
 
Posts: 297 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have the Talon rubberized on my duty G22 for approx. two years now. No curling just the corners are starting to get wore off. They work great. Been knocked around and smacked against stuff and still hold up fine w/ some nicks.

The “sandpaper” ones eat up uniform shirts, jackets, and elbows.
 
Posts: 2879 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:
I’ve been using the newest hogue handALL beaver tail on my G17 Gen5 with a TLR-1. I like it a lot more than the old plain HandALL. I realize you were asking about Talons but since you mentioned your past handALL I thought I’d mention this.


Oh interesting. I didn't know they had a new version of the HandAll. I'll have to check that out...


________________
tempus edax rerum
 
Posts: 986 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks all It seems people are leaning toward the rubber versions. Any particular reason why? I don't run a drop holster...just a slightly lower belt version, so it wouldn't rub up against anything other than the seat of my Tahoe...maybe my vest when seated...I'd have to check.


________________
tempus edax rerum
 
Posts: 986 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Talon even makes a small grip for the front strap of a 1911. I use it on my Citadel cheapie and it has been great. I also have the rubber grip on a P239 and its at least 2 years old.
Talon is good stuff.


End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
 
Posts: 9483 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Thanks all It seems people are leaning toward the rubber versions. Any particular reason why? I don't run a drop holster...just a slightly lower belt version, so it wouldn't rub up against anything other than the seat of my Tahoe...maybe my vest when seated...I'd have to check.


Inside arm of your long sleeved shirt or jacket. They are great for scratching bug bites or poison ivy on your weapon side arm though. I use a a safariland holster w/ the inch or two drop from the belt. Still eats up stuff.
 
Posts: 2879 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Talon rubberized, they hold a lot better than a lot of bare pistols.
 
Posts: 2018 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Thanks all It seems people are leaning toward the rubber versions. Any particular reason why? I don't run a drop holster...just a slightly lower belt version, so it wouldn't rub up against anything other than the seat of my Tahoe...maybe my vest when seated...I'd have to check.


Inside arm of your long sleeved shirt or jacket. They are great for scratching bug bites or poison ivy on your weapon side arm though. I use a a safariland holster w/ the inch or two drop from the belt. Still eats up stuff.


Yeah, that's what I have...I believe it's the 2" drop from the belt. What exactly does it tear up?

I'd be willing to live with some extra wear and tear if it makes an improvement to how the pistol behaves in hand.


________________
tempus edax rerum
 
Posts: 986 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Thanks all It seems people are leaning toward the rubber versions. Any particular reason why? I don't run a drop holster...just a slightly lower belt version, so it wouldn't rub up against anything other than the seat of my Tahoe...maybe my vest when seated...I'd have to check.


Inside arm of your long sleeved shirt or jacket. They are great for scratching bug bites or poison ivy on your weapon side arm though. I use a a safariland holster w/ the inch or two drop from the belt. Still eats up stuff.


Yeah, that's what I have...I believe it's the 2" drop from the belt. What exactly does it tear up?

I'd be willing to live with some extra wear and tear if it makes an improvement to how the pistol behaves in hand.


I have had it chew up the inside portions of long sleeves and jacket sleeves. It starts as those little balls of fabric and a lighter shade of whatever your uniform shirt/jacket color is then eventually a hole develops.
 
Posts: 2879 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I got a rubberized set for my P320 Compact because the factory grip frame kept getting slippery in the Texas heat. It REALLY works well and I'm not having any problems with the material peeling off (be sure to use the hair dryer during installation).

I didn't choose the granulated version because it really does a number on uniforms, other clothing, and anything you accidentally rub your pistol grip against.
 
Posts: 3668 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
I got a rubberized set for my P320 Compact because the factory grip frame kept getting slippery in the Texas heat. It REALLY works well and I'm not having any problems with the material peeling off (be sure to use the hair dryer during installation).

I didn't choose the granulated version because it really does a number on uniforms, other clothing, and anything you accidentally rub your pistol grip against.


I forgot the hair dryer part when I put mine on. Made sure the area where the grips went was really clean with rubbing alcohol. Mine have not peeled. Just sections are starting to thin and wear out. My location it gets to -20/30 F in the winter and in the summer gets up to a 100 F w/lots of humidity.
 
Posts: 2879 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks guys. Looks like the rubber version is the one I should try first. Talon is having $5 off right now (Cyber Monday I guess) so I'll give those a try.


________________
tempus edax rerum
 
Posts: 986 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Thanks all It seems people are leaning toward the rubber versions. Any particular reason why? I don't run a drop holster...just a slightly lower belt version, so it wouldn't rub up against anything other than the seat of my Tahoe...maybe my vest when seated...I'd have to check.


The granulated option is pretty aggressive. The rubber option is still very grippy and my preference on my G43 and G26.5. Carrying either of these would not be an option for me unless I had the Talons on each.
 
Posts: 503 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Rubber is my preference. I tried the sand paper version and didn’t like them, and they didn’t stick as well as the rubber version.


"Living among the enemy behind the Tofu Curtain"
 
Posts: 2016 | Location: California, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of BloodyThumb
posted Hide Post
Five years of granulated on a G21 duty gun. They wore on everything, clothes, cars, chairs, and the sleeves on my long sleeve uniform shirts in the winter, and the inside of my right forearm in the summer.

I also had a set of rubber on a G19. The granulated were still on the 21 when I turned it in and got my new duty weapon. They had worn down to the point where the grip was on par with the rubber, which was still I would say 85% of grip of the granulated when new.

The rubber has not changed. Bottom line, the rubber is (IMO) 85% of the extra grip of the granulated, with 0% of the wear issues to the grips themselves as they age, and 0% of the wear issues to my car, my clothes, and my body.

If I were a game player and I had a dedicated range only race gun... I would probably put the granulated on it. Other than that, I will only use the rubber grips. They do a very good job for me, and with gloves on I prefer them over the granulated across the board.


Thanks,
BT

WWW.NLEOMF.COM
LEO
NRA Life Endowment

Engraving on a hand gun is like lace on a leather jacket.
 
Posts: 166 | Location: Indyucky | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Talon grips on a duty pistol?

© SIGforum 2019