SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you test fire your CCW pistol after field stripping/cleaning?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you test fire your CCW pistol after field stripping/cleaning? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
When you've field stripped your pistol for a basic cleaning, do you trust that everything went back together correctly and it will function as intended or confirm with a few rounds before putting it back in service?

No rounds, put a pencil in it unloaded to check the firing pin.

This, but only if I've removed the striker. If it's just a basic field strip cleaning, I slap it back together, dryfire, hold the trigger to the rear, rack and dryfire again to check reset, then load up and call it good. Never had a problem using this approach.

Posts: 8416 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not , but I do fire it again maybe that same week or so , then maybe a wipe down till next time .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I do this once a week for my edc. Weather I shoot it or not. Just like Joe Kenda!

quote:
Originally posted by wxl:
After a range session, I usually remove slide, wipe down, lube, run patch thru barrel.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
Standard function check after cleaning. I use a pencil in the barrel if I've messed with taking apart the slide as well. My range is 15 minutes away and I'm not going back for a few rounds downrange.

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
I like my guns to be like my martinis and my women.....a little dirty.....

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just clean and carry. I don’t think my neighbors would appreciate me firing off a couple rounds.

===================
P229 RX Legion
P938 Legion
P238 Legion
(3) M17s w/MS, wo/MS and Commemorative
Mosquito
Ruger P89--Ruger 10/22

AR15 **awaiting assembly**

Posts: 8 | Location: Southeast-in God's and guns country | Registered: September 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If you test fire it... then you have to clean in again, no? Smile

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
If you test fire it... then you have to clean in again, no? Smile

I mean shit, it might malfunction now that it's dirty, but if you clean it, it might malfunction cuz it's been put together wrong...

What a Catch-22! Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Function test, load and holster up.

This sums it up for me as well.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

This right here, if I felt the burning need to ensure that it would work as intended again after cleaning, but normally I just clean, lube, function test, then load her back up.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:

That perfectly sums it up for me.. Big Grin

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I usually clean my guns before shooting . It may be that it has been a significant amount of time between range sessions now and I want to ensure that I have new, adequate lube on it.

If I do a lot of shooting I'll run a patch or boresnake thru it before putting it away.

This is mostly for range guns and I'll re lube my carry weapon periodically.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Function check, no test fire.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Yes, I test fire it after cleaning.

We had an old Sgt that said "a clean gun is one that you have no idea if it fires or not"

However I do not clean firearms after each time I shoot them

It could be 5 or 10 or more shooting sessions before I clean a firearm. Now to be fair, there are firearms that I used to shoot 5-6 times a week. so it is not like a firearm is being left with powder residue for a year or so

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
quote:

That perfectly sums it up for me.. Big Grin

I don't even go that far.
I only do the pencil thing when I've completely broken the gun down. Otherwise I just pull the trigger and call it good.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
From several of the posts listed here, you mean that I'm supposed to CLEAN my Glock after each and every time I take it to the range???

Well I don't. Nor do I immediately test fire the weapon after those infrequent times that I DO clean it. Since I shoot it regularly for my own training and physical "up-keep", I wait for its round count to get to something "reasonable" before even thinking about getting serious over field stripping it for a cleaning (somewhere around 500-1000 'bangs'). Otherwise I just check the bore and run a snake through it if need be--which in itself rarely happens--and call it GTG. Even then this gun keeps working, since in the past I've pushed it close to 3000 rounds before cleaning, and even then that done more out of guilt for not cleaning than out of the gun truly needing it.

So if I were to test fire it after cleaning, I'd have no problem leaving it "dirty" Roll Eyes...if one could actually have the nerve to truthfully call it that.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Shoot. Clean. Test cycling with snap cap. Reload HP's. /done

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No with one exception, Kahr pistols.
I like kahrs but had on 2 occasions with 2 separate pistols found myself with a single shot gun. It turned out that when reassembling after cleaning the slide lock did not sit correctly in the lug under the barrel. Everything seemed to work right but once at the range it would fire once then not want to go completely into battery. I called kahr the 1st time it happened and they knew exactly what was happening. They had me break it down and reassemble and it worked fine.
The second time it happened with another pistol and I took it apart and reassembled and back in business. Thankfully both times were at the range and not when I needed them.
I still trust kahr pistols but verify they work through a full mag before I carry them.

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
When you've field stripped your pistol for a basic cleaning, do you trust that everything went back together correctly and it will function as intended or confirm with a few rounds before putting it back in service?

This.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I don’t. I guess i5 all comes down to which type of OCD you have.

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post