SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you test fire your CCW pistol after field stripping/cleaning?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you test fire your CCW pistol after field stripping/cleaning? Login/Join 
posted
When you've field stripped your pistol for a basic cleaning, do you trust that everything went back together correctly and it will function as intended or confirm with a few rounds before putting it back in service?

Question:
After a basic cleaning and reassembly, do you test fire the pistol?

Choices:
No. I reload and carry it clean.
Yes. I fire a few rounds to ensure function.
I don't necessarily clean it after a range session, so it may have zero or a hundreds of rounds of fouling in it when carried.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
When you've field stripped your pistol for a basic cleaning, do you trust that everything went back together correctly and it will function as intended or confirm with a few rounds before putting it back in service?

No rounds, put a pencil in it unloaded to check the firing pin.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I check all the functions but do not run back out to fire it because then I would have to clean it and then run back out to fire it and then I would have to clean it.......and some kind of paradox would surely occur. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What cslinger said. I clean after a bigger range session (more than a box or two) and I will manually check all the safeties and ensure I see the FP protrude after pushing the block on applicable guns.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

See no points in doing it.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't test fire after a basic cleaning. See no need to. I always clean, inspect and lube after each range session, regardless of round count. Notice the word "inspect". I actually shoot and carry most of my guns...have never had a function issue after a basic cleaning over a 50 year period.

After a full DETAIL strip, clean, inspect and lube I will always test fire before carrying. While it may not be necessary, it's a procedural thing for me. Once you go into the guts of the gun and reassemble, the odds are higher that something may have been altered.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
No sir I don’t. I clean it, and holster it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have access to a range five minutes from home that I could use most of the time, and another 15 minutes away that I could use literally any time, but I still could not imagine shooting, going home to clean the gun(s), then going to the time and effort to run back to the range to fire off a few more rounds. The armorer courses I’ve attended included manufacturers’ recommended function checks, but not one indicated that live fire testing was required after disassembly and cleaning.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the gun functioned properly prior to cleaning it - why would it not function properly after cleaning it?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
If the gun functioned properly prior to cleaning it - why would it not function properly after cleaning it?

Some crap got washed into the striker channel and slows it down?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Some people here would have to clean it again after the test fire.... Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
what is this "cleaning" you speak?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you test fire your CCW pistol after field stripping/cleaning?

No. Not feasible to test fire unless you have your own range at home.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a range session, I usually remove slide, wipe down, lube, run patch thru barrel.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Test fire, no. Function check, yes.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I clean and lube them before going to the range.
Just wipe down the outside before holstering and carrying.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Function test, load and holster up.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
A dirty gun is a happy gun.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37082 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
If I am going to field strip and clean a CCW pistol, I do it shortly before I am going to the range.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
No. I usually don’t field strip & clean after shooting because I shoot infrequently and rarely more than 30-40 rounds (outdoor private range).

After cleaning, a function check is enough.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post