SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Converting the P938 to a single side safety?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting the P938 to a single side safety? Login/Join 
Picture of omega5
posted
I did a search and didn't have any luck. Here's my problem. I love my P938, have 2 of them.
The problem is that I hobby farm and when I'm on one of my Kubota's getting jostled around,
sometime I take the safety on the outside (I'm right handed) off. With the noise and focused
attention on what I'm doing, I don't notice that it's off and that could potentially be
dangerous. When I wear my full size 1911 with only the thumb side safety, this has never
happened but that think is heavy and I'm dang near 70 with a bad lower back so I'd much
rather carry one of the P938's.
Now the question. What do I need to do to convert my dual side safety to a left (or thumb
side for a right handed person) safety?
Thanks,
Dano

Tet survivor 68-69
Retired LEO 41 years
NRA PATRON Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: East TN | Registered: October 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by omega5:
Now the question. What do I need to do to convert my dual side safety to a left (or thumb

I cannot tell you what you need, but that it is possible. Robert Burke did it to mine, and he said he used a SIG part for the single side safety. I suspect it might be the safety from a P238.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Easy to do.

1. Call Sig Customer Service, order the P238 safety. (Available in Nitron or "Silver")
2. Remove the P938 RIGHT SIDE safety.
3. Using a punch (to hold things together) push the LEFT side safety out from right side. Do this in a ziplock bag, the safety detent plunger and spring will pop out.
4. Insert the P238 Safety in the hole pushing the punch out at the same time. Rotate the Safety UP and reinsert the spring and detent plunger, using a thin piece of plastic or business card hold the detent plunger in place and turn the safety down into the safe position.
5. Contact LOKGRIPS (https://lokgrips.com/) (616-389-0666) and order a new set of grips WITHOUT the ambi safety cutout.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Easy to do.

1. Call Sig Customer Service, order the P238 safety. (Available in Nitron or "Silver")
2. Remove the P938 RIGHT SIDE safety.
3. Using a punch (to hold things together) push the LEFT side safety out from right side. Do this in a ziplock bag, the safety detent plunger and spring will pop out.
4. Insert the P238 Safety in the hole pushing the punch out at the same time. Rotate the Safety UP and reinsert the spring and detent plunger, using a thin piece of plastic or business card hold the detent plunger in place and turn the safety down into the safe position.
5. Contact LOKGRIPS (https://lokgrips.com/) (616-389-0666) and order a new set of grips WITHOUT the ambi safety cutout.

Excellent instructions, but I would do #5 first. Or maybe second.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by omega5:

I cannot tell you what you need, but that it is possible. Robert Burke did it to mine, and he said he used a SIG part for the single side safety. I suspect it might be the safety from a P238.

He did mine as well, along with an excellent trigger job.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I did mine in a few minutes, it was very easy to do.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

LOK grips was the only place I could find G10 grips for the P938 with no ambi safety. They are very nice grips, similar to VZ, but VZ does not offer a P938 grip without the right side cut out for the safety, and it is a pretty big cut out on this gun.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The ambi safety was the main thing that kept me from buying a P938 (SIG factory, please take note of this. I am not the only one.).

Then I saw an ad in the SIGforum Classifieds, a member was selling a P938 that had been converted to a single side safety. Robert Burke had done the conversion.

I bought it and I am very pleased with it. It has mostly replaced my P239 for daily carry in warmer weather here in Florida. Once it cools down (if it ever does), I will go back to carrying my P239 or P228, both of which I shoot better than the P938, but I do shoot the P938 acceptably and I enjoy practicing with it at the local club. I have gotten my time for draw from the holster and put a round in the "zero" zone of an IDPA target, at five to seven yard distance, down to the two second range. Not competitive time by any means, but also not that bad for an 82 year old Geezer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parts are also available from Top Gun Supply.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No real need to order any parts.
Once the right side lever is removed.
All that's there is the post end. It interferes with nothing. Just took off the lever and never wondered if the safety was flicked off again or not.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Delray Beach Florida | Registered: March 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post