SIGforum
Sighting in my new P365

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7520098764

March 22, 2020, 03:02 PM
Bigborgel
Sighting in my new P365
My new P365SAS was badly misaligned as far as aim was concerned. I ordered a laser bore sighter, and found it was a foot high at 12 feet, so I removed the Meprolight sight and put 2 shims under the front end, returned the sight and screwed it down. Haven't shot it yet as range is closed, but sighting it to a wall shows it now to be dead on.
Have to wait until range reopens to test my work, if it's still NG, going back to Sig.
March 23, 2020, 01:24 PM
patw
Mine seems to shoot low with the xray sight. I am probably going to get a #8 to align it better for me. I feel your pain.
March 23, 2020, 02:18 PM
Bigborgel
What's a #8? I feel stupid.
March 23, 2020, 03:31 PM
egregore
How did you determine it shoots high? Have you actually shot the gun, determined that it does in fact hit high and used the bore sighter to verify the sight alignment? Or did you just stick a bore sighter in it? If that's what you did, the bore sighter doesn't take into account the height of the sights above the center line of the bore, or that a bullet travels in a parabolic arc, not a straight line.
March 23, 2020, 04:32 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by Bigborgel:
My new P365SAS was badly misaligned as far as aim was concerned. I ordered a laser bore sighter, and found it was a foot high at 12 feet, so I removed the Meprolight sight and put 2 shims under the front end, returned the sight and screwed it down. Haven't shot it yet as range is closed, but sighting it to a wall shows it now to be dead on.
You are doing it all wrong.

You really have zero idea if it was off or on.

Laser boresighters suck donkey ballz IMO and I'd never go through the drama that you did to do this.

Shoot the gun, see where it hits, then go from there.

Not to mention 4 yards / 12 feet is a shitty range to zero something.
March 23, 2020, 07:43 PM
jkingrph
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Laser boresighters suck donkey ballz IMO [/QUOTE]

I'm afraid I will have to differ with you on a laser boresighter. I bought a nice looking sporter built on a Mexican mauser action. It had a pictnanny rail bridging the front and rear ring. I wanted separate mount bases, and quickly learned that whoever drilled and tapped the rear ring did not get the holes aligned with the front. There simply was not enough adjustment in my Leupold scope to make up for it. My local gunsmith looked at it , and I asked if he could either fill the holes and redrill and tap or tap some offset holes in a base. He took the base and milled a little bit off one side so it tilted back, not perfectly but close. By that time I got a laser boresighter, and put the scope in a set the Burris rings that take the polymer inserts, and they make eccentric inserts so you can actually center your scope and zero the gun by turning those inserts. Using a laser boresighter I actually got the gun almost zeroed at about 150 yards . No idea how well it would work in a short range handgun.
March 23, 2020, 08:29 PM
patw
From what I have learned here, the # designation relates to the height of the sight itself. There is a #6 on it now,the xray, as the sight picture is for combat sighting. I hope I didn't confuse you more. There is a ton of people here with a lot of good info. to share.
March 23, 2020, 09:33 PM
powermad
He has a 365 SAS with the Meprolight sight on it not the Xray3 sights.
If that sight isn't on then you're down to shimming it.
March 23, 2020, 11:01 PM
MattW
Reminds me of the time I hung a picture on the wall. It turned out to be a bit crooked. So I wedged a floor jack under the left side of the wall to level it out.

I agree with the others, actually shoot the damn thing first Wink

Especially with the SAS sights. Those were a hard pass for me within a fraction of a second looking at my sight picture.
March 24, 2020, 12:47 PM
Bigborgel
I need to further explain my actions for those especially jumped ugly , I guess too much time in the house. I went to the range with my new gun, shot it at 15', 21' 25' and 30', all strikes were quite high. So I got a D-B bore sighter and sighted it in a 12' long room. It was quite high, with B-S versus the Meprolight, so I put 2 shims under the front of the sight and now the sight and the light seem to line up. Can't go to the range, it's closed, so I'll just have to wait to test my results. Continue to be ugly if you like.
March 24, 2020, 01:03 PM
pcshooter
I had a similar experience with my P365SAS. My regular P365 was dead nuts on, but I found that even at ranges as close as 6 yds. the SAS grouping would be 5" or so high and right...and only getting worse as the targets were moved out. To test that it wasn't just me, my boss and I shot my regular P365 and then the SAS. Below is a result. The target on the left is mine, with the regular P365 in red and the SAS group in yellow. The target on the right is my boss', doing the same thing. We saw this repeatedly. I was super disappointed when I was told by SIG CS that this was an "acceptable" result for a gun that was designed for close-in engagements only. It may have been fine for them, but my confidence in carrying the gun was destroyed until I found a solution.

My "solution" was to swap out the SAS sight with an RMSc mount from Nameless Arms and properly zero it.

(photo credit @namelessarms)