SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    TLR-7 or APLc for my ccw.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TLR-7 or APLc for my ccw. Login/Join 
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted
Having picked up my badass little Glock 29 for EDC, I’m in the market for a light. Initially my criteria was no light past the muzzle, so the big boys like the x300u, TLR1 and APL are out of the window. I tried a XC1 and am not a fan at all. I own two APL’s and love them, so the APLc seems like a solid choice, until I noticed the battery size. The new TLR-7 checks all thw boxes but the switches are smaller and sont have the positive feel of the APLc’s paddles. I also like that it takes a standard 123 battery that I stock already.

Does anyone EDC either of them and have any input?

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I used an APLc on my G19 for a while. I really like the paddle configuration of the InForce lights. The downfall of the APLc for me was the limited light output from it. It works well in rooms indoors, but struggles when it comes to having enough throw to illuminate longer hallways or outdoors.

I have briefly tried the TLR-7, but the switches don't work well with my grip and hand size. I have a difficult time operating the light one-handed. I know that there are different schools of thought on this, but I place value on it as an option. If I always had two hands to do everything, I would just use a handheld light. Try holding a pistol, handheld light, and opening a door at the same time-something has to give...which is why I prefer the option of operating the WML with my gun hand if needed.

(For hand size reference, I typically wear a size large glove)

I've now gone back to using the TLR-1HL on my G19.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I use the TLR-7 on my 32 as my edc. I have iwb and owb holsters for it. It took me a few tries but I got used to the switches. I bought more TLR-7s for my other guns. I still use the -1HL on my duty weapon (gen4 31).

I can just reach the switch with my trigger finger. It’s easier obviously using the off hand to turn it on which doesn’t bother me. If I need to draw fast and shoot fast, I’ve already identified a threat and not worried about the light.

My HK VP9 has a Viridian CTL and it turns on automatically when I draw and turns off when I holster (magnet in the holster allows this) but the light output isn’t as great.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
At this point I have 11 APLc's, so I think they're okay. From their white lite, to positive grip switches, momentary or constant on in the same control and easy to manage during difficult situations.

I honestly had no idea they would fit on a Glock 29, going to go grab mine right now and give it a try.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for the TLR-6 light/laser to release for the 365 this spring. I'm hoping it won't be too huge on that tiny pistol.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deen
posted Hide Post
I have a TLR-7 on my VP9sk, and it is a good combination.

I wasn't sure about the controls being different from the prior TLR lights (I have a -1, a -2, and a couple -4s), but it hasn't been an issue. Either side, quick press on/off, longer press momentary.

No experience with the APL lights, but they've always looked interesting.

And with surety I shall attain victory
- Guru Gobind Singh.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:
At this point I have 11 APLc's, so I think they're okay. From their white lite, to positive grip switches, momentary or constant on in the same control and easy to manage during difficult situations.

I honestly had no idea they would fit on a Glock 29, going to go grab mine right now and give it a try.

Glock 29 slide/rail is same length as Glock 19, just the grip is subcompact length. If you can, could you post a pic of the APLc on it?

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zacsquatch:
quote:

Glock 29 slide/rail is same length as Glock 19, just the grip is subcompact length. If you can, could you post a pic of the APLc on it?

https://flic.kr/p/Ruz2xa

https://flic.kr/p/2dS4Mnx

https://flic.kr/p/Ruz2eV

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zacsquatch:
quote:

https://flic.kr/p/Ruz2xa

https://flic.kr/p/2dS4Mnx

https://flic.kr/p/Ruz2eV

Just a slight hangover, thank you!

Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
Ended up grabbing a TLR-7. I have so manh 123 batteries around and 300 extra lumens wont hurt.
I