SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help fitting 1911 safety (Now with more photos)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help fitting 1911 safety (Now with more photos) Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
I'm in the middle of this 1911 build.

I worked some last night fitting the safety to the sear. I took down one of the lugs some. Loos like the top side of the lug might be hitting as well.

I wiped some layout fluid on it. Then put in and gave it 20 or so wiggles. You can see where it's hitting.

Anyone better at 1911 stuff than me have thoughts?

Link to Safety:
https://imgur.com/gallery/lBWkW3V

I don't want to keep removing material from the bottom lug. Unless I get a 2nd opinion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: myrottiety,

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't have to take any off the top lug at all.

From the photo it kinda looks like it's hitting the sear on the vertical face of the safety lug. Is it going all the way into the frame?

You do have the hammer cocked before trying to install the safety, right?

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Brazos Custom has an excellent "how to" library of articles...

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0601.htm

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogmush:
You shouldn't have to take any off the top lug at all.

From the photo it kinda looks like it's hitting the sear on the vertical face of the safety lug. Is it going all the way into the frame?

You do have the hammer cocked before trying to install the safety, right?

Yes hammer cocked. With the mainspring housing about half way off. Just to give it some light pressure but not lock everything up totally.

The safety is NOT going into the frame. I'm pretty sure they side face of the sear is keeping it from going in. I've been slowly removing the material on the lower lug.

I was just concerned that there may be another issue to look for. If I take it to far I can just grab another. File, Rinse, and repeat.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have the books written by Jerry Kuhnhausen?
If not pick up a copy. You cannot just slap a 1911 together and have it turn out first rate. There is a lot of info in these books. Good luck!! It is very rewarding when done.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think something's not quite right in there.

Fully install and pin the main spring housing, but leave the grip safety out. That should give you some room to see what's going on in there, as well as properly tension the sear with the sear spring.

I've done or so thumb safeties, and don't recall ever filing the top lug to get it in the frame. Some times you do have to file the bottom to get it in.

What you have marked on the top lug is too much to be taking off, especially since after it goes in, it'll need more clearance to go all the way down.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogmush:
I think something's not quite right in there.

Fully install and pin the main spring housing, but leave the grip safety out. That should give you some room to see what's going on in there, as well as properly tension the sear with the sear spring.

I've done or so thumb safeties, and don't recall ever filing the top lug to get it in the frame. Some times you do have to file the bottom to get it in.

What you have marked on the top lug is too much to be taking off, especially since after it goes in, it'll need more clearance to go all the way down.

Check these photos. See if they help:

https://imgur.com/gallery/EnHqsj7

posted Hide Post
Where's the sear spring?

It kind looks like it would go in if the sear was held forward.

posted Hide Post
When I fitted the safety on my 1911 builds, it was one of the last things I did. Hammer and sear work done (make sure both hooks contact the sear). And, the barrel fitted. Now assemble the gun, as complete as you can. With the hammer cocked fit the safety. All parts are in the place they need to be to operate the gun. Best wishes. Ed

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It took me a little, and I had to squint at your pictures and open one of my guns up to see the problem. I think you actually have two small issues.

One, the sear is not fully set on the hammer hooks. That first pic of the second group, it's sticking too far out into the hole in the frame. Put the Sear Spring in, and put the Main Spring Housing on. I usually slide the MSH all the way up and hold it in the frame with an 1/8" punch so I don't have to hammer the pin in and out.

Two, on the rest of the pics, the hammer has over rotated and is interfering with the safety lug. You can see in the pic where you have the safety in that the hammer is almost touching the safety's pin. That's too far. With the grip safety out you can actually pull the hammer back so far that the strut will start pushing it back instead of forward, and then it'll get in the way of the safety lug.

Try this: After the sear spring and MSH are installed, cock the hammer and then push it gently forward until the hammer hooks stop it on the sear. You should feel it "tip over" and the main spring will start pushing it forward.

Then the safety should go in. If you still have trouble let me know, and I'll try to take some pics or a short video showing what I mean.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Alright fellas. Its in but is extremely tight. Passes function check but is super snug in safe position. Probably need one more swipe of the file to be perfect.

You were exactly right. Without the leaf spring the hammer was over rotating and getting into the way.

Thanks guys.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Alright fellas. Its in but is extremely tight. Passes function check but is super snug in safe position. Probably need one more swipe of the file to be perfect.

You were exactly right. Without the leaf spring the hammer was over rotating and getting into the way.

Thanks guys.

Glad to hear you got it working. I'd rather have a safety on a single action a lot more on the hard to swipe side than easy to come off safety.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post