SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are the Kel-Tec P32s any good? *Updated With Photo Page 1 Intro Post*
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the Kel-Tec P32s any good? *Updated With Photo Page 1 Intro Post* Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I will post some pics of mine tonight with the +1 magazine extension from Kel-Tec that gives your 9 rounds total. It works great and I like that it gives you some more gun to hold onto without being an issue for pocket carry.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I clearly see a mag in that photo, though it specifically says it is not in the photo.

It has been a good thread, I too learned a lot.
I had never heard of rim lock before.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Here are some interesting ballistics to read.
I got this from a member over at Kel Tec Owners Group.
The test firing from a P32 is the second test on the page.
Interesting. Not only does it show ballistics, it also shows the OALs too.

http://www.thektog.org/Stackin...-loads-The-KTOG.html

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I clearly see a mag in that photo, though it specifically says it is not in the photo.

Advertisement, selling the +1 kit and making the disclaimer that the mag isn't included. So they won't catch grief from a buyer. Wink

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Something can be there and not be there as well known poet once wrote:

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

When I came home last night at three,
The man was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall,
I couldn't see him there at all!
Go away, go away, don't you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don't slam the door...

Last night I saw upon the stair,
A little man who wasn't there,
He wasn't there again today
Oh, how I wish he'd go away...

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
With the snow coming down I decided to break out the digital calipers for a couple quick measurements.

Blazer aluminum 71 gr. TMJ (avg. based on 5 rounds)

0.9644"

Corbon 60gr. JHP (avg. based on 8 rounds)

0.9205"

quote:
I don't think the front sight on my P32 is even 1/16 inches tall. I was surprised I was able to tape it off and paint... twice. The photo makes that sight look big, but the reality is that it is tiny.
I do think it makes a difference. The tan color of the gun's front site was really hard to pick up looking down the tan slide.

Measured from the flat portion of the Gen 1 slide the front sight measures a whopping 1-1.5/ 32" tall. While I agree those Gen 2 sights are tiny, that front sight looks like a drive-in theater screen compared to the Gen 1 front sight. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
I really like the look of the first gen slide.

I think I agree with you on this, but there is no missing the Gen 2 front sight improvement. I think the Gen 1 trapezoidal or angled slide profile may lend itself to "guiding" the shooters eye to the front sight in low light conditions, although admittedly I haven't shot it in low light, only handled, and I haven't held or shot a Gen 2 for comparison.

Pure conjecture but I think if the Gen 1 slide had been made a little thicker, and was angled at a slightly steeper profile they may have well been able to provide for a taller front sight while still keeping it "aerodynamic" enough for pocket carry. But what do I know.

I took some time to play with the rounds (Corbon 60gr. JHP- avg. .9205" OAL) in a magazine this weekend. I experimented with placing them further forward in the magazine vs. seating them all the way to the back. The first three rounds placed in the mag didn't feel any different or show any signs of rimlock. When I placed the fourth round the magazine spring was compressed enough to place enough friction on the rounds that there was a slight hitch as the top round rim rode over the one below it. With each round after this the spring compression increased and the rim overide hitch became slightly more pronounced. Rounds 6 & 7 at the top were the ones that showed the most staged rimlock. Also worth noting, and observed in many semi-autos, as the top round in the magazine is stripped forward into the chamber, the round directly underneath it is "dragged" forward by friction. I believe that as the magazine spring compression relaxes (whether due to wear, or as each successive round is fired) that the friction placed on the rounds lessens to the point that rimlock may either be reduced or eliminated. Years ago, when I first experienced stoppages, I tried downloading my mag by one round and that seemed to eliminate the problem then. Now, with the same mag broken in, I carry a full 7 rounds in the mag and haven't had the same stoppages (likely rimlock) in years.

There were a couple times when I was able to stage this rimlock by hand where it took me a few minutes to get the top round free. Why this occurred during some stagings and not others I haven't figured out. I suspect that the strength of the recoil spring plays a part in the rimlock issue as well. The stronger the spring the more likely that it has enough force to overcome a rim lock issue.

Staged rimlock

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Range Day 5:

I went and shot 50rds of S&B FMJ.
All went well until the 6th magazine of 7 rounds each.
The slide locked back after the fifth round with 2 rounds left in the magazine.
I shot one more full mag and it went fine.

I inspected the P32 this morning. I removed the slide, put 2 S&B rounds in the magazine and slowly inserted it as I looked in the top.
The S&B round had no clearance I could see as it passed by the interior face of the slide lock. It appeared to either barely touching or was touching as it went by.

I have had this problem before in other high end pistols where the ammunition contacts the slide stop so I knew what to do.

I took a dremel and very lightly removed material from the edge of the slide stop.

While I have not range tested the pistol again, the S&B no longer touches the face of the slide stop as it goes by and the magazine still locks back fine.

I think I have solved this problem.

The S%B is a very snappy hot round BTW.

Good fix! Having never come across this I find it interesting. Have you encountered this in other calibers as well or this an issue unique to .32 ACP?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I have experienced this with a high end Sphinx AT2000P and a Para Ordnance.

In both those instances, the pistols would experience slide lock randomly as you fired them, and removing a small amount of metal from the slide stop faces cured the problems.

That Para Ordnance was a super early steel framed slimline full size 1911. I got frustrated with the slide lock problem, so I ordered a new one from PO.
I did not want to wait and used a hand file on the slide stop until I got it into a shape that worked.
A week or so later, a new slide stop arrives and what do you know, it had been machined exactly like the one I had just altered.

I don't mind home smithing if it is something easy and logical. However, I don't like stripping down just any old firearm I own any old time.

I think everyone here who has home smithed knows this one:
There you are taking care and disassembling something complicated. All of a sudden BOING! and you immediately stay still and quiet so as to hear the spring and parts land and give you a clue where to look and it stills takes a while to locate them.
These are always very small parts that go flying around. Surprise!

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Range Day 6

50 rounds of S&B without failure.
It's ready for carry.

posted Hide Post
Locked and loaded, lbj? No hiccups?

Fwiw, years ago I inquired from Kel-Tec if they had available a longer barrel. Was told that they did not do such custom work. I wanted a 3" barrel, that extra .3" would make a slight difference, in addition to the cosmetic factor. My personal preference are barrels that extend the muzzle beyond the slide.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/32auto.html

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The European 73gr loads are pushing 150 to 160 ftlbs muzzle energy.

But holy crap, look at this, a 75gr flat nose 1150fps with muzzle energy at 220.

I am late to this thread, but a few years ago (15 to 20) I chronographed a few factory 32acp loads with a Beretta 70 & Walther PP. At that time the Silvertips were also wimps. I remember the 61gr Fiocchi HP at over 1100fps & the Silvertips were about 850fps. That made the longer barreled Walther PP 32acp with Fiocchi HP's at about the same ftlb energy as a a 38 Special with a 2" barrel & non +P ammo. Somewhere I have the data written & if I find it soon the info will be posted. I have a 6" Beretta 32acp that I will chronograph soon.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
Whenever I carried my .32 Tomcat I loaded a hollow point in the chamber and FMJ in the magazine.

Posts: 609 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whenever I carried my .32 Tomcat I loaded a hollow point in the chamber and FMJ in the magazine.

The way I carry also

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
Locked and loaded, lbj? No hiccups?

Fwiw, years ago I inquired from Kel-Tec if they had available a longer barrel. Was told that they did not do such custom work. I wanted a 3" barrel, that extra .3" would make a slight difference, in addition to the cosmetic factor. My personal preference are barrels that extend the muzzle beyond the slide.

No hccups. I figure that 200rds Fiocchi FMJ without a failure, everything is reliable enough to carry that load.

I am good with the S&B the last 50rds, but since the Fiocchi's have a longer track record in my P32, for now I will stick to them.

What can I say, it loads and fires Fiocchi FMJ like a house afire.

quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
That made the longer barreled Walther PP 32acp with Fiocchi HP's at about the same ftlb energy as a a 38 Special with a 2" barrel & non +P ammo. Somewhere I have the data written & if I find it soon the info will be posted. I have a 6" Beretta 32acp that I will chronograph soon.

Yes, I'm interested.

posted Hide Post
quote:
it loads and fires Fiocchi FMJ like a house afire

Nice. Fine choice.

quote:
a 6" Beretta 32acp

Beretta 100. Cool

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LBJ--

The Crimson Trace laser adds almost no weight or bulk the gun and solves the sight problem pretty completely. I use one on my P3-AT and love it.

Tim

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Do you carry it that way?

posted Hide Post
Yes, I do. usually in a pocket holster--I like the BORAII kydex models--you can chamber and unload a round without having to take the gun from the holster, which completely covers the trigger guard. Very safe.

Tim

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAgnes:
LBJ--

The Crimson Trace laser adds almost no weight or bulk the gun and solves the sight problem pretty completely. I use one on my P3-AT and love it.

Tim

I do also. I carry mine in a Hunter all leather wallet type holster designed for the P3AT with a laser added. When I grab my cellphone, I grab this setup also, and out the door I go. Works like a charm.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Interesting there are many members carrying the little Kel-Tecs.