SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are the Kel-Tec P32s any good? *Updated With Photo Page 1 Intro Post*
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the Kel-Tec P32s any good? *Updated With Photo Page 1 Intro Post* Login/Join 
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Struck out at the gun show, the only guy who had one wanted 269!!

Went to a crappy store on the way home and found a used one for 199!

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Generation 1 or 2?

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
2. But I think I am going to need to do some work on it. The slide lock/ejector slides right by the mag follower.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Do you have another magazine?

Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Not yet

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Might be a mag problem, yes?

posted Hide Post
I was blessed that I was able to find a used Gen 2 Keltec P32 for $125. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Might be a mag problem, yes?

Yeah, hoping. I have read about people who never had theirs work. If the gun works I don't care, none of the old guns have it anyway.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It seems to me, given all of the above, the way to go is with European full metal jacket ammunition; Fiocchi, S&B, Geco, etc.

The performance of the Silvertips as described by lbj is interesting. It wouldn't be the first time that Winchester watered down a Silvertip.
Keep in mind that the .32 ACP is one of the oldest extant auto pistol cartridges, and there are some very old .32s out there. Sounds like Winchester is hedging their bet.

The European manufacturers don't seem to be too worried about this, and their relatively warm loadings, along with the greater OAL, would make them my choice. The custom loadings sound great but, as pointed out, would be prohibitively expensive.

This isn't the European stuff, but you can get the idea.

Posts: 107256 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I get ppu, it is common and cheap.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard of Winchester watering down Silvertips.
That said, after the 50 I put downrange yesterday, something was wrong. I can fathom no other reason for the failures other than under powered for a P32.

I'd still like a HP option but everywhere on the net, KT P32 owners consistently choose the long oal hot European rounds. The only ones complaining about rim lock and other failures are HP users.

I guess the Euros have kept the 32 auto alive all these years and are better at the loadings than we are.

Those around the net that are using FMJ also say that penetration over expansion is a better way to go in .32.
Or they say that because the European FMJ ammo is all that functions 100% and have resigned themselves to that notion.

After my recent experiences, until I can test a long oal HP, I will stick with the Fiocchi.
I am in the same boat as the guys I mentioned above in that I am resigned to using hot European FMJ.
And I find it odd I am strangely OK with this.

This isn't the road I thought I'd be traveling on when I first bought this P32.

Although I am on a different road than intended, it's taking me where I want to go.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Following up on para's post, here is a gelatin test for S&B 73gr FMJ. The projectile tumbles?

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot...testing-sellier.html

posted Hide Post
quote:
The slide lock/ejector slides right by the mag follower.

IIRC, the slide lock is made out of plastic. Not uncommon for it to wear out. Presumably, if you contact KT and explain the problem they will send a replacement for free.

The problem might be caused by different things:

1) Slide lock worn out;
2) Weak mag spring;
3) Something wrong with the follower;
4) Something I'm missing.

As internet rumour has it, they might send all three replacements for free.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
It's overcast and not much light but probably a realistic condition view of the front site.
A little Testors enamel, 2 coats and Presto:
a dayglo pink front sight.

posted Hide Post
The Fiocchi 60gr SJHP ammo has an OAL of 0.93in.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information.

Argh! A little on the short side.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Wow, 6 pages on the Kel-Tec P32 and still going strong... I think that might be a forum P32 thread record. There is some great research and info in this thread and based on some of it I'll be testing some new ammo choices.

Of note, the P32 was the lightest .32 ACP ever made when it was released and it wouldn't surprise me if that still holds true.

Also of note, the owners manual does not recommend dry-firing the P32, although I've done it infrequently with no apparent damage.

I've carried a full sized duty gun for well over 20 years. I prefer to carry a full sized gun and I will never like carrying or shooting a sub-compact mouse gun... but sometimes it just makes more sense. I originally picked up a Bersa Thunder Deluxe in .380 to serve in the compact gun role, and as much as I liked it it had good bit of recoil and, more importantly, was just too large for any pants pocket carry, and some jacket pockets as well. My Dad used to catch a gun radio program and on one show a guest had great things to say about the then newly released P32 and based on that I picked one up one of the early ones.

I bought one knowing that I wouldn't carry it often, and when I did it would most often be in shorts pockets. However, like you lbj, I've had some health problems that have forced me to change my dress style and I find myself wearing very loose athletic type clothing which means no belts and OWB/ IWB carry... so I find myself carrying the P32 much more frequently than I would like.

With maybe 250-300 rnds through it the P32 has been a generally reliable gun for me. I did experience a few intermittent stoppages early on which I attribute to an excessively stiff action & magazine spring that I believe may have contributed to a rim lock issue. Recalling how difficult it was to load the magazine back then and how, when I took the extra care & effort to squeeze each round to the back of the magazine, the failures stopped. I suspect that as the gun & magazine(s) break in that rim lock may become less of an issue.

The ammo I've shot so far:

- Magtech 71 gr. FMC

- Blazer aluminum 71 gr. TMJ

- American Eagle 71 gr. FMJ

- Corbon 60 gr. JHP

The stoppages noted above occurred with the Magtech, but I finished out the small quantity I had over several range sessions without any further stoppages.

Previous posters mentioned some of the larger capacity mags and I'll second their recommendations. I picked up a 10 rnd. mag and, if one is willing to trade off size/ weight for increased grip, the 10 rnd. mag provides much more of a full size grip to manage the recoil with.

When I bought the gun my intention was to use it for pocket carry, however when I later learned of the pocket clip I went that direction. There are a couple instances where the clip comes in handy, but in general I would not recommend carrying it this way as I've found it just isn't stable enough for reliable carry during typical daily activities and provides a less than ideal draw.

Years after I had been pocket carrying the gun I learned about pocket holsters and picked up a Desantis pocket holster which has worked reasonably well for it, although I did recently lose the gun/ holster (and quickly found) from a jacket pocket.

7 rnd. vs. 10 rnd. mag comparison

Based on my testing I wouldn't take a shot that counted beyond 7 yards, and preferably closer than that. My P32 tends to place rounds significantly below P.O.A. shooter or gun? probably a bit of both.

3, 7, 15 yrd. target with AE 71 gr. FMJ

7 & 25 yrd target with Magtech 71 gr. FMC, Blazer aluminum 71 gr. TMJ, & Corbon 60 gr. JHP

I'll never like carrying it and wish I didn't have to... but, once broken in, and considering the role it fills, the P32 has become a good little gun.

edited: for clarification & grammar

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
It's overcast and not much light but probably a realistic condition view of the front site.
A little Testors enamel, 2 coats and Presto:
a dayglo pink front sight.

I knew that the P32 had been upgraded but I haven't kept up with the actual revisions. I didn't realize they went to an external extractor. The sights are an obvious upgrade from the early models.

I dread the idea of possibly having to use my Gen 1 in a low/ no light situation.

lbj, that simple paint job to the sights really appears to make a big improvement in acquisition, or as big an improvement as can be made when dealing with sights this small.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the 10 rnd. mag provides much more of a full size grip to manage the recoil with.

Or obtain a finger extension for the 7 rd. mag. Might have to change the mag bottom lock, though. Any .32 finger extension should do.

quote:
lbj, that simple paint job to the sights really appears to make a big improvement in acquisition, or as big an improvement as can be made when dealing with sights this small.

You bet!

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Great review Modern Day Savage, really nice.

I don't think the front sight on my P32 is even 1/16 inches tall. I was surprised I was able to tape it off and paint... twice. The photo makes that sight look big, but the reality is that it is tiny.
I do think it makes a difference. The tan color of the gun's front site was really hard to pick up looking down the tan slide.

I still have a little bit of range testing to do. If the LGS has some Fiocchi Extrema and S&B FMJ, I will pick that up for testing as well.

My P32 is good to go with the Fiocchi FMJ.