SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who makes a 1911 like this ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes a 1911 like this ? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
There something interesting about the font, size and scrolling SA used. Elegant comes to mind

Agreed. I think it may be becoming their new standard, as my Loaded (purchased mid-2019) uses the same font. It's more understated than their older large block letter rollmark, and classes the gun up a bit, imo. I like it.

(Photo was taken prior to replacing the rear sight on my gun to correct the sight picture to POA/POI).

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
There something interesting about the font, size and scrolling SA used. Elegant comes to mind

Elegant it may be. But it doesn't have GRIP ZONE plastered on the side in a huge gaudy font, so I'm just not interested. I mean, how is the average gun owner going to be expected to know where to hold it?

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might be interested in a 9mm variant of this myself. Bought a similar style for my father and liked it more than I thought I would upon seeing it in person.

Colt sells a couple models in their competition line that would fit this bill and are similarly priced. Buds has them for a similar price. I have only seen 45 and 38 super variants though, if you were looking for a 9. I have never bought from them, they just were the first Google result.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Nice, I love reverse 2 tone. I had a park'ed and an early TRP...both were quite accurate and reliable.

I just hate the front serrations...

Colt "Special Combat" is another option but damned near double the price.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you for the links and suggestions,
that kimber looks good as well,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
I might be interested in a 9mm variant of this myself. Bought a similar style for my father and liked it more than I thought I would upon seeing it in person.

Colt sells a couple models in their competition line that would fit this bill and are similarly priced. Buds has them for a similar price. I have only seen 45 and 38 super variants though, if you were looking for a 9. I have never bought from them, they just were the first Google result.

I bought a S/S Colt Competition 9mm sight unseen when they first come out. My SN is between 320-330. The gun is the best Colt I've ever handled, I've handled many and owned several. The slide to frame fit and barrel bushing fit are super tight and rival my Ed Brown, the finish is perfect. It has all of the features I like. Trigger is very crisp, but a bit heavy between 5-6 lbs, but probably the same as an SA's. The trigger has some up and down movement and the grip safety has a little side to side wiggle...…...but all in all it's a terrific 1911 for the $850 I paid, has G10 grips and FO front site and is very accurate. I have over 700 rounds through it and it runs great......had 2 hiccups in the first 100 rounds, has been perfect since. I didn't take it apart and clean it before shooting it though, just went and shot it.

The SA loaded 9mm's have very loose barrel bushing fit that negatively effected accuracy for years. Not sure how these are.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If it's just the two tone look you're after, you can achieve that by just buying any quality stainless 1911, then sending the slide off to have a quality dark aftermarket finish like Ionbond DLC or CPII Dusk applied.

Or, if you want a factory two tone, and aren't married to the 5" barrel, Dan Wesson just announced a two tone VBOB with a 4.25" Commander barrel:
https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/v-bob-two-tone/

It will be a noticeable step up in quality compared to a Springfield or Kimber. MSRP is $1800, but street price will be around your $1400 price range. And wood grips are easy to swap in.

I thought DW quit making the Valor line?

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I thought DW quit making the Valor line?

They discontinued the Valor line in January 2019, and then reintroduced it first thing this year with a bunch of little changes, like a modified slide stop, serrated top of the slide, different slide side serrations, tapered grip, ambi safety, U-notch rear sight, and a magwell on the full size.

Valor:
https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/valor-2/

V-BOB:
https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/v-bob-2/

The non-bobtail Valor Commander is still discontinued, though. And I'm not a fan of some of the changes, like the magwell, ambi safety, or serrated slide top. I'm glad I grabbed mine while I could, and at a clearance price to boot.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Rogue, that Valor you got is a fine-lookin' pistol.

Posts: 17101 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

Elegant it may be. But it doesn't have GRIP ZONE plastered on the side in a huge gaudy font, so I'm just not interested. I mean, how is the average gun owner going to be expected to know where to hold it?

HAHAHA sorry for thread drift, but we were at a local gun show this weekend and one of our newer Xd mod.2’s didn’t have the words grip zone on the grip (news to me? I didn’t know they stopped putting grip zone on them) but I had a guy come to the table and throw a fit because it no longer said grip zone. Again I never ever noticed they stopped putting grip zone on them, but I had to laugh at him because he’s the only person in the world that liked the words grip zone on the frame.

But back on topic of the ronin operator I think it will be a nice $700-750 (Street price) 1911. IMO no point in spending double or triple to get the same features in a competitors 1911 just because what Springfield has done in the past.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Called around, two shops would not quote me a price, as they did not have them in stock. The third place quoted me $775.00 + tx, he did not have one either.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
STI Staccato XL ??

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Tweaking a nice vintage piece is always an option.

My self-customized 1987 Colt MKIV is a nice two tone. Big Grin Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post