SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who makes a 1911 like this ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes a 1911 like this ? Login/Join 
posted

with thse features:
Springfield Armory® is proud to introduce the Ronin™ Operator®, a rugged and reliable 1911 pistol built for a lifetime of service at an MSRP of just $849.

While the Ronin Operator is the result of thoroughly modern precision manufacturing, it’s undeniably traditional in its approach to quality and performance. Configured as a full-size 5″ gun and available in 9mm and .45 ACP variants, the Ronin Operator features a forged steel slide and frame as well as a hammer-forged barrel for unparalleled durability and strength.

The pistol sports a beautiful two-tone finish, with a stainless steel forged frame and a forged slide of carbon steel. The flats of both the slide and frame are thoroughly polished, with an attractive matte finish applied to the rest of the pistol. In addition, the carbon steel slide features a beautiful hot salt bluing treatment that not only brings out the lustre of the steel, but also hearkens back to the earliest days of the classic 1911.

that is not a S. Armory gun ?

( even if its a little more expensive )

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Looks like a very nice gun, particularly for the price.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might be a moron for not wanting to buy from S.A. ,
but I like the looks of the gun a lot,
and
I have excellent service from their X.D. 9mm.

and they are only 16 miles away .

its a good price point for me,

I'd even go to $1,400.00

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ah, clarity emerges from the bendablese.

You want a gun like that, not made by Springfield Armory, and are willing to go to $1400 to get it.

Sorry I didn't understand earlier. Just finished by second cup.

Now, we have something to work with.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
How about a Kimber?

https://www.kimberamerica.com/custom-ii-two-tone-a-1

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If it's just the two tone look you're after, you can achieve that by just buying any quality stainless 1911, then sending the slide off to have a quality dark aftermarket finish like Ionbond DLC or CPII Dusk applied.

Or, if you want a factory two tone, and aren't married to the 5" barrel, Dan Wesson just announced a two tone VBOB with a 4.25" Commander barrel:
https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/v-bob-two-tone/

It will be a noticeable step up in quality compared to a Springfield or Kimber. MSRP is $1800, but street price will be around your $1400 price range. And wood grips are easy to swap in.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eek
it weighs as much as my GP 100 Ruger 4 inch !
Eek

cheese and rice

another question:

since it is a brand new model
what are the chances of finding a holster for it ,

some one in another thread mentioned that all 1911's do not have the same dinmensions

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Eek
it weighs as much as my GP 100 Ruger 4 inch !
Eek

cheese and rice

Yep. Heavy all-steel guns are heavy. A Commander 1911 like the VBOB will be slightly lighter due to the slightly shorter barrel, but still heavy.

If weight is a concern, there are alloy-framed 1911s out there that have an aluminum alloy frame and a steel slide (like the classic Sig P-series guns), which will be a bit lighter. But even then, they won't be as light as something like a polymer-framed Glock. And you aren't likely to find alloy 1911s with that specific style of two tone finish, although you could have the opposite with a dark anodized aluminum frame and a silver stainless steel slide.

Or you could get a solid dark-colored alloy 1911, and send the aluminum frame off to have a silver-colored aftermarket coating like Cerakote applied, though that's basically just fancy paint, so it won't be as durable of a finish as the various chemical/metallurgical finishes like Ionbond or CPII applied to steel.

quote:

since it is a brand new model
what are the chances of finding a holster for it ,

some one in another thread mentioned that all 1911's do not have the same dinmensions

The Springfield Ronin Operator is a standard 5" Government 1911. It will fit in any standard 5" 1911 holster, as will the Kimber that ArtieS posted. The Dan Wesson VBOB will fit in any standard 4.25" Commander 1911 holster.

1911 holster fit only becomes an issue with things like railed 1911s, or 1911s with extended threaded barrels and suppressor height sights, or many of the Sig 1911s which have a non-standard slide shape. These will not fit in standard 1911 holsters.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I sent my Series 70 Gold Cup off to CCR and had the frame done in CPII. I had wanted a two tone since there was one on the cover of Guns & Ammo 40 or so years ago. It is very easy to clean and it tightened the frame to slide fit just a bit.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty old school looking gun. That’s a Wilson I had built in 1989. The two tone finish meant you knew what you were doing. Smile

(Actually, pretty practical in hot sweaty Texas)

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up an Ed Brown for 1800 before Christmas with the same looks.

I don't give a flip about politics though, so I'd just buy the Springer if that's what I wanted.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yes, SA did some stupid stiff a while back, but IMO you're biting off your nose to spite your face if you refuse to buy a gun that you want simply because of their politics. That "Ronin Operator" is very similar to my Stainless Loaded, which has been an absolutely fantastic 1911. I did a lot of research this Pat year before I bought my 1911, and IMO there is nothing else out there that offers the same features as SA with the same reliability in that price range. If I hadn't bought the SA, the next option that met all my requirements was Dan Wesson, at nearly twice the money. I bought the SA and have had no regrets.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If you what an actual blued slide as shown in the Ronin Kimber has their custom II two-tone which is actually a nice gun for the money. You can step it up to the $2-3000 range and get Ed Browns, Wilson, and Les Baer guns in the classic reverse two-tone look. Colt made the Combat Elite model which had the same look but not sure if still in production. The Dan Wesson Guns will have a treatment similar to Nitron but no actual bluing.

I’m getting the Ronin and having the front strap checkered. I could give two shits about Illinois politics.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt's previous generation Combat Elite 1911 XSE series was a two tone like the OP describes.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/pr...hp/products_id/55899

They can still be found.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty happy with my Springer RO's, both 9mm and .45. I have Colt, owned numerous Kimbers(no complaints), and would buy this nice Springfield post haste. Add a magwell, Magpul grips and some skate tape on front of the grip and hit the range. Certainly more refined examples are out there, but I don't believe I'd own another Colt. My budget and the various competitive shooting games I shoot in, these pistols are holding up and don't break the bank. More ammo please...

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently "Operator" no longer means "light rail" in Geneseo.

Why is nobody to market with a mass-produced, 9mm, RMR ready 1911? Springfield makes a 10 mm one. Folks will buy sn optic ready 9mm.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Apparently "Operator" no longer means "light rail" in Geneseo.

Why is nobody to market with a mass-produced, 9mm, RMR ready 1911? Springfield makes a 10 mm one. Folks will buy sn optic ready 9mm.

Kimber has several RMR ready 1911’s starting with the new Aegis which can be found for $8-900.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I'd buy one of these specifically because it doesn't have the damn rail. Les Baer used to have the Concept IV that was a 2 tone like this and I have a Concept VI that is a reverse 2 tone and alloy frame. (45 acp) As well as the Baer Boss 45 that is the adjustable sight version of the IV.

I really like the 2 tone look!

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1911 RONIN™ OPERATOR® .45 ACP - PX9120L
Caliber .45 ACP
Barrel 5" Forged Stainless Steel, Match Grade, 1:16
Slide Forged Carbon Steel, Blued
Frame Forged Stainless Steel
Sights Fiber Optic Front, Tactical Rack White Dot Rear
Recoil System GI Style
Magazines (1) 8-Round
Height 5.5"
Weight 40 oz
Length 8.6"
MSRP $849

Piques my interest as well although I think they could throw in another magazine. 1 just doesn't cut it IMO.
1911 magazines aren't hard to find but throw 2 in like most manufacturers.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It’s a nice looking heater. Apparently also made in 9mm. With WC 10rd mags, a nice combination. There something interesting about the font, size and scrolling SA used. Elegant comes to mind

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post