SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield Armory 1911s: Too many options!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Armory 1911s: Too many options! Login/Join 
Picture of Uncle Malice
posted Hide Post
I agree with those suggesting not buying from Springfield. I used to have a TRP and loved it, however I sold it off after they stabbed gun owners in the back. I have owned and sold a bunch of XD/XDM's... only because they didn't do much for me, not for moral objections.

On that note, Dan Wesson is a solid option, for sure.

Posts: 532 | Registered: August 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SA makes a nice 1911. I wouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise. I would pick the one that matches your wants and budget in a 1911.

I have three SAs, A V16 Longslide, a TRP and a Loaded in 9mm. All three are very accurate and reliable. And if your budget allows I would get the TRP. It is a 1911 that you very likely would not outgrow at least for a very long time.

Dan Wesson does make a very nice 1911, but I probably will not purchase one. It bothers me some what that they only offer a five year warranty on them. Where as pretty much everyone else offers a lifetime warranty. This is MY PERSONAL thought and YMMV.

There are a number of nice 1911s and SA in my opinion is one of them. To say avoid SA is like getting into the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge truck debate.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
My stainless TRP just works for me.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 796 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
While I'll never buy another Springfield of any kind again I do understand the love affair that others have with the company's 1911s. For the money they usually offer solid build quality and value. But they're not perfect or necessarily the best value.

I haven't been particularly impressed with their $1k and less lineup of late. The Range Officers and Loadeds that have come in and cycled through the shop seem like they're following the Remington 700's business model: ship it right out of the box before sending a single round down its pipe to a competent gunsmith to give yourself a worthy trigger. I don't remember ROs from only 2 to 3 yrs ago having such marginal triggers as those we've recently received. My old Brazilian Loaded's trigger was a definite step up from the gritty bang switches that I've seen from Springfield over the past year. At this end of the market I've been more impressed by what Ruger has been doing of late. Even Kimbers seemed to have upped their game; we're definitely hearing a LOT more positive feedback from our customers with those.

When it comes to SA 1911s, where such important things like the triggers get better is with the EMPs and spendier offerings like the TRP; the few that we've ordered in are indeed nice. But finance-wise now you're venturing into DW territory, and frankly even without SA's Illinois debacle hanging over their head I'd rather have a Dan Wesson over a comparably priced Geneseo product. At this level in the market DWs in my view are simply a step above. Even the upmarket Professional that was transferred through a few weeks back didn't seem particularly special compared to the companion (and slightly less expensive) Ed Brown that the same customer bought and transferred in only days before. It may be a truly great gun but the first impression didn't leave me feeling that way about it.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I want a competitive shooter, not a project. I want a good trigger and great accuracy, out of the box. I want it to look, feel, and be, finished.

Bruce
Here you go ... Kimber Super Match They have even more models but it doesn't have to be confusing.

If it doesn't have to be a 1911 ... CZ 75 TS!

The CZ 75 TS is a Single Action, built from the ground up, competition-ready pistol designed for IPSC standard division (USPSA limited division). The weight and balance of the CZ 75 TS are optimized for the rapid, accurate style of shooting necessary for success in practical shooting disciplines. The Tactical Sports model is the next generation of the proven CZ 75 Standard IPSC. The TS retains all of the best features of Standard IPSC model and improves upon the platform with increased durability, new sights, a new trigger system and more.

If you lived closer (I'm in Kansas) you could try mine! I don't claim to be any kind of expert but in 40+ years, its the best "out of the box" competition pistol I've ever handled.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
After my previous experience with Kimber CS, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one but $2600 seems way out of line for any Kimber. That seems like way too much.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the TRP...

I have the ssTRP.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure Springfield makes a great 1911. What I don't like about them is their need to make their guns a billboard.

Like the TRP. Probably a great gun. But why do they need to put "Tactical" and "TRP" all over it?

If I were to get another 1911, I would probably get a Dan Wesson Valor.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Let me throw Les Baer into the mix. I bought a 1911 "wadcutter" for bullseye matches, and am very pleased with it. Fit, and finish is top notch, this gun shows way more accuracy than I can shoot. If others in the Les Baer lineup are made just as well, you couldn't go wrong with one in my opinion.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only Springfield to get besides the Pro, MC Operator!!

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
RN, Springfield is a quality mfg'er of 1911's. I think that is undisputed. Unless you are a world class competitor, I'm gonna' bet that any of the MC series pistols you mentioed would work well. The one thing I would consider is buying down just a bit in the series, so that you can make your own mods if you like that sort of thing.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
When it comes to 1911s, you'll probably get 1911 different opinions as to what you should buy. There certainly are a bunch of excellent choices out there.

As for Springfield, I started out with a basic, plain Jane Government model. Loved it, but when money was available, I graduated to the Loaded model. Loved it. Then came the stainless TRP - I was on Cloud 9. But then I got really lucky and found a barely used TGO1 put out by the Springfield Armory Custom shop. This is the same place that makes 1911s for FBI field agents. 1911 nirvana! I was finally happy!

(Until I added a Wilson CQB, Les Baer TRS, and Ed Brown Kobra Karry.) Yes it's a disease, but it's a fun disease. Good luck!

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Benderx4:
<SNIP>
(Until I added a Wilson CQB, Les Baer TRS, and Ed Brown Kobra Karry.) Yes it's a disease, but it's a fun disease. Good luck!

I realize you aren't trying to sell them but keep in mind, the only way you get your money back out of them is to enjoy and shoot them, they don't appreciate like old Colts!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone asked, what kind of competition?
An IDPA gun (depending on division) is going to have different requirements than a Bullseye gun.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I like my two KIMBER 1911 pistols but if warranty is your issue with SPRINGFIELD, best to read the KIMBER warranty before you fall in love with one of their numerous offerings. It surprised me as many manufacturers offer lifetime. That said, KIMBER customer service has a reputation for ignoring their stringent warranty period. They have been well known for covering repairs beyond the stated period and even to non original owners.

You can't go wrong with a DAN WESSON 1911. I bought mine lightly used but it looked like new. The fit and all stainless finish is second to none. Reminds me of a ROLEX.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have an older TRP in Armoury Kote, and I love it. I can't imagine how any other 1911 could perform better. Look nicer, and cost more, yes.....but function better or be more accurate? Gonna be hard to beat!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a loaded 5 inch model, stock set up. It is by far the best trigger on any of my guns. I do not use the gun for anything other than shooting paper though.

Pros: great trigger, super accurate, never a problem with it, heavy enough to absorb the recoil

Cons: Heavy 1911

For the price it shoots as good as anything else I have.

Posts: 377 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Are Colt 1911s no good?

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Are Colt 1911s no good?

they are garbage, scourge of the earth, not fit to be owned,

if you have any, mail them to me and I'll 'dispose' of them for you so you won't have to live in shame having any,

I'll even pay shipping, Wink

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Are Colt 1911s no good?

Colts are good. I bought a Colt Competition 9mm in S/S this year, sight unseen, and the build quality on it is pretty impressive. Very tight slide to frame fit and barrel bushing fit. I'd much rather own a Colt than a springfield.....and do....I have 2 colt 1911's right now, a S+W, a Wilson, an Ed Brown, etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post