SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield Armory 1911s: Too many options!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Armory 1911s: Too many options! Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I think I want a nice 1911 for competitive shooting. I'm leaning towards Springfield Armory.
A lot of choices

I was thinking of a Range Officer but now I'm kind of intimidated by all the different models of 1911 they offer.
The "Range Officer Elite Operator", "Range Officer Elite Target", and "Loaded Model" all look good to me. I especially like the Black-T finish.

Any experience, opinions, suggestions to offer?

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Hey all-

I think I want a nice 1911 for competitive shooting. I'm leaning towards Springfield Armory.
A lot of choices

I was thinking of a Range Officer but now I'm kind of intimidated by all the different models of 1911 they offer.
The "Range Officer Elite Operator", "Range Officer Elite Target", and "Loaded Model" all look good to me. I especially like the Black-T finish.

Any experience, opinions, suggestions to offer?

Thanks,

Bruce

Just buy the Custom Pro and be done with it Smile

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I think the stainless TRP is a nice pistol, as is, and a great platform for customization.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a loaded champion, mc operator and an older stainless with target sights. All are good guns. Shouldn't have any problems with whatever you choose. No experience with any of those you listed though.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the early Range Officers when they first came out & it's been totally dependable. Other than routine maintenance & spring changes, the only things I've done to it over the years is put on a gold bead front sight, VZ grips & some skate board tape on the front strap.

I must admit though, that since I got a TRP, then a Wilson CQB, the RO hasn't got much range time in the last 4-5 years.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easily solved. Don't buy SA, Inc.

Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:

Simple, but not terribly helpful Wink

What else you got?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What else you got?

Bruce

dan wesson would be my choice.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My TRP Operator Full Rail is currently my favorite 1911. I also have a Dan Wesson Valor. While the DW is undoubtedly nicer, the TRP seems to be more accurate.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I had a Mil-Spec Stainless and it worked well. I don't remember why I got rid of it, but it was most likely because Ruger came out with their 1911.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What else you got?

Bruce

Well I wouldn't give SA, Inc. any of my money.

Honestly, I'd probably start with a RIA myself. But you might look at Dan Wesson first, they might be more spendy than you want though. Maybe a Colt Gold Cup?

Really, you should identify what you want on the pistol, then decide what fits the bill.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I want a competitive shooter, not a project. I want a good trigger and great accuracy, out of the box. I want it to look, feel, and be, finished.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
I'd move up and get an Ed Brown.

But that being said. I bought a Colt Competition and it's a nice gun for the money. Dan Wesson is very nice too for a little more. I'm not a fan of Springfield and their ugly stampings all over the slide.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I've drooled all over a couple TRPs but have not fired one. I've owned a Range Officer though and it is a great pistol, just didn't like the parkerizing.

My dad has had a loaded SA for almost 20 years and it's been an awesome and reliable pistol. It's showing no signs of slowing down. I think it's hard to beat this brand for the money.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want a competitive shooter, not a project. I want a good trigger and great accuracy, out of the box. I want it to look, feel, and be, finished.

Bruce

Dan Wesson PM 9. It is 9mm but what you listed you want, this is it.
I had one and it was the most accurate pistol I've ever shot.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will second Dan Wesson as nice fit, finish. They are also significantly more spendy than a RO. I have a valor, but its unfired so I can't speak to accuracy.
Honestly, I don't have a problem with Springfield. They are forged in Brazil, most models assembled here. I know most here don't like their politics. I figure as long as they make a good product at a competitive price, their politics is their business.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I wasn't aware of their politics. Such as?

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
Since you asked:

Well for me, I didn't like them because they call themselves the "First Name in American Firearms" but they just took the name of the original Springfield Armory government arsenal and made clones, most of which aren't made in the US. The successful XD line is a Croatian made pistol, not something SA, Inc. designed.

More recently, they fell on what many consider the wrong side of a 2A fight:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4860044324

posted Hide Post
The big advantage of a 1911 in 9mm or 45ACP is, in my opinion, that it is a competition platform that lends itself to being crafted to fit the individual - more so than other competition pistols. However, I have found that the Springfield 1911 series tend to have non-traditional insides that mess with crafting using "standard" parts. An all steel 1911 can be too heavy for some. That said, I keep a worked-on RO in 9mm for which I have two fitted barrels (one with a very slow twist) that is used just for ammo testing.

The most close to standard, well priced, 1911 is from Ruger. However, my experience is that one MUST use a trigger (the part that touches one's finger) having an internal overtravel screw or you will have problems.

Colt once again sells series 70 in several calibers and - wonders of wonders - is standard inside and out. Its Light weight Commander makes weight sensitive users happy. Colts new/old nested recoil spring is very accommodating to light and heavy loads.

Avoid Springfield and even the very high priced 1911 if you wish to have 1911 crafted to fit you for competition. Replace the Ruger barrel with a quality, slower twist barrel and use required trigger for a lower cost 1911. Or buy Colt.

If you wish to do the work yourself - which is not difficult with a real 1911 insides - a few firms sell a kit of needed parts to craft a trigger action that fits you.

If for serious bullseye competition, the gunsmith KC down South will craft a 1911 that will fit you for in the neighborhood of $3000. You will be delighted with the result.

All that said, if for IDPA do consider PPQ-M2 4" or 5" in 9mm and consider the new M&P M2.0 in 4.25" or 5" - Replace the sear in M&P M2.0 with Apex two-dot sear and probably make no changes to PPQ (although a single spring change is possible to lighten force required) and you are ready.

A real, or almost real, 1911 can be made to fit you. Some of the 1911s for sale are not, in my opinion, quite real enough.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I had a Mil-Spec Stainless and it worked well. I don't remember why I got rid of it, but it was most likely because Ruger came out with their 1911.

Tell me about your Ruger. What's good about it?

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli