SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 question Login/Join 
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted
I have a local buddy here in La that has a Sig question about a Sig P229. Below is the question he asked. Can someone answer so I can tell him. Thanks

I just picked up a 229 in .40, but I want to shoot 9mm also. Will any Sig 229 barrel fit or is the hole in the end of the slide larger, like in Glocks, where a conversion barrel is required?

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Your friend needs to buy a conversion barrel. On the P229 the locking inserts are different on the 9mm and 357/40 guns. 9mm ammunition will feed from the 40 magazines, although 9mm P229-1 magazines may be better. It is also possible he will need a 9mm recoil spring.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The slide opening is larger on a .40 slide than a 9mm slide, so a Conversion Barrel will be needed.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Tell him to just pick up the Sig 9mm conversion kit. Comes with a mag and complete slide with barrel. No worries about fit.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's just for the range, I'd probably get a Bar-Sto conversion barrel. If he wants to carry it, I'd go full caliber exchange kit.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I thought that a major problem is that the breach face is too large on the .40 for the 9mm.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
Tell him to just pick up the Sig 9mm conversion kit. Comes with a mag and complete slide with barrel. No worries about fit.

This. I have a couple of conversion kits: .22, .40, and 9mm. My P226 loves them all.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I got a 9mm Bar-Sto conversion barrel for my P229 .357/.40 Classic and Robert Burke fitted it. It’s extremely accurate and is suitable for carry. Your friend will need 9mm magazines, but his recoil spring does not need to be changed out.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone I passed the info on to him.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought several conversion barrels to go from 40 to 9 from EFK Firedragon and they were cheaper and drop in. That's all I did was drop in the barrels, no springs etc. did several 226s and 229s.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post