Find
Notify
Tools

LCP triggers Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

Other than selling it and buying a LCP II, is there any way to improve the trigger on a Ruger LCP?

I saw this Galloway but haven't talked to anyone who has tried one.

Anybody have a reliable solution?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Don't have one but didn't ruger improve the trigger starting with the no dash serial numbered elsipies?

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a lcp for years and recently bought the lcp Custom with the red trigger. The Custom is much more smooth than the original. The only thing I don't like is that the slide doesn't lock back after the last round. I considered getting the lcp II but the Custom is good enough for Me. There are a few people on the lcp forum who think the trigger is too light on th lcp ii. One forum sponser who makes pocket holsters said he won't make them for the lcp II. Because he thinks they are a liability.

Posts: 54 | Location: Myrtle beac SC | Registered: March 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
My LCP (non-dash serial number) has a trigger night & day better than the original. I wouldn't touch a new LCP II due to the single action operating system with no safety. Too dicey for pocket carry IMO.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried an lcp for years until I recently bought a Taurus 738. I know a lot of people hate Taurus but in my opinion it's a better gun than the lcp. It's been 100% reliable with a variety of ammo, something my lcp never was. The grip is more comfortable to hold and the trigger is much better. I can achieve group sizes that I never could with the lcp and the slide locks back after the last round. I can't compare it to the LCP 2 but you may want to try one before you make a decision.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My LCP is a dash serial number, post recall. I just picked it up from another Forum member.
The kit I found in my original post looks like a good upgrade. I would like to hear from someone that has tried one before dropping $99, if possible.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a nondashed serial and added the SS guide rod and the Galloway trigger almost 3 years ago. In my opinion it was a big upgrade over stock. Took all of the slop out and made the break much more consistent.

I also polished the feed ramp and chamber with Flitz and have had zero feeding issues since doing so with many different types of ammo. Very happy with it and carry it often in the warmer months.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a non-dash LCP with Galloway trigger and use it as a pocket gun when I can't carry IWB or OWB. After the new trigger, Hogue rubber grip, some polishing/stoning, and NiB coating it's been a pleasant and reliable gun.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a Ruger LCP Custom, which is my recommendation if you're looking for a pocket firearm. The trigger is very smooth and it's been an extremely reliable firearm for me. I've added a 13 lb Galloway Precision recoil spring, Talon Grips and a Virdian R5 green laser. I carry it AIWB or pocket carry inside of a custom Sticky ECR holster. For ammo, I carry Fiocchi Extrema 90g XTP JHP. My only complaint is that the slide doesn't lock back after the magazine is empty, but I've accepted it. I wouldn't pocket carry the LCP II with the new style trigger, I prefer the smooth DA pull for safety.

Posts: 7 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: March 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Despite all this love for the gun, it's too bad Ruger decided that the LCP Custom should be discontinued. Perhaps at some point there will be a LCPII Custom to take its place.

Meanwhile we get a Lemon Yellow Cerakote TALO exclusive LCP...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a very early LCP for probably 7 yrs or so with the worst trigger I've ever seen.
Then stupid me goes out and buys a LCPII. I wish I would have researched the new LCPII before buying it a few months ago. I didn't realize that it has a fully cocked hammer and nothing but a trigger blade safety. It didn't take me long to figure that out. I refuse to carry it with a chambered round so it makes no sense to me carrying it especially if that's the only gun you're carrying.
I've read what Uncle George the Holster maker had to say and told Ruger. I agree 100% with him.
On top of all this in the few months I've owned this LCPII it's went to Ruger once because the trigger wouldn't reset. That maybe Ruger's idea of a safety LOL.

The trigger works fine now but the Take Down pin walks it way out. When I noticed it, it was sticking out about a 1/4".
I pushed back in and it walked out several more times when firing it. I tried a couple of different Ruger T.D.pins and ordered a Tandemkross pin,all of them did the same thing.

When it's uncocked there is a minimal amount of side to side rocking play in the slide which has to be expected.
When it's cocked it has excessive amount of play or looseness. By the muzzle you can apply downward pressure on the slide and it goes down more than I think it should.

As I type this Ruger in Prescott should be receiving it back for a 2nd time.
I'm done and finished with these LCP's. (so much so I bought a P 238 last month)

I waited for several months for a couple of the LCP Customs and wondered why the dealer never got any when the Ruger rep at that dealers Ruger Days assured him he'd get all the Customs needed.
Turns out these LCPII's were in the works and they discontinued the Customs another mistake Ruger has made.
I've been buying Ruger's for almost 45 yrs and what I've gotten over the last couple years has really discouraged me with Ruger's. I got 2 defective LCR's. They replaced one defective one with another.
In the last couple years they replaced 3 brand new guns and now I'm dealing with this LCPII.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Glad that I am not the only one who isn't hot for the LCP2 trigger.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Glad that I am not the only one who isn't hot for the LCP2 trigger.

I'd bet there is allot more then we are aware of that hasn't come forward.
I'm waiting to see the Class Action lawsuits start when people start shooting themselves or others accidentally because of that fully cocked hammer and nothing more than the trigger blade safety. I put a note in the box asking if there is any internal safety like Glock employs in their Safe Action pistols in the LCPII. I know better but I figured I'd ask.

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't look like anybody is following this thread but I have a update. My LCPII had issues again I talked about a couple posts up.One was the Take down pin walking out.
Then the other issue the excessive looseness in the slide. It actually rocked back and forth.
As I said above it went to Ruger for a 2nd time.

Okay here's the latest update. A couple days after they received it I got a email that the my LCPII was un-repairable. They didn't give the reason why it was un-repairable but they said it was being replaced.
As unhappy as I've been with it I took a shot in the dark asking if they had any of the discontinued Custom LCP's. They did and they agreed to give me the Custom and a couple extras Magazines to make up for the difference in the LCPII's price and what the Customs were selling for.
I got a Fed Ex notice it was delivered to my dealer this afternoon but I haven't heard from the dealer yet so it will be tomorrow now.

posted Hide Post
I think You will be very happy with the Custom. I'm really glad I didn't buy a lcpII when they first came out. I just assumed it would be an improvement over the Custom because the slide locks back after the last round. But that doesn't appear to be the case.

Posts: 54 | Location: Myrtle beac SC | Registered: March 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I'm usually a very big fan of Ruger's new offerings, but this new release had me wondering "why"?

Bigger, wider, heavier.

Trigger "dongle" safety that seemed flimsy and fragile.

Horrible trigger. The two I tried were very heavy. Not light at all. Not nearly as good as on the two Gen2's I have. When I tried the Gen2's trigger it was enough to make me sell the old Gen1 and make a switch. Not even close this time around.

Again- why?

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. Looks like we are on the same page. All this could have been avoided if I would have made sure what I was buying. As safety conscience as Ruger is or at least when the old man was still running the show this P.O.Junk would never have made it out the door.
I've been buying Rugers for many years and I'm still scratching my head why they would release a gun which to me is an accident waiting to happen. I did send Mike Fifer a Tell the CEO email telling him all the problems I had with this particular gun. I told him what they were doing at my request and my reasons why I wanted the Custom instead.
Shortly after I got a reply from him thanking me for telling him.
I know I'll like the Custom better . Everyone that has them or has talked about them seem real happy.

A local dealer had Ruger Day last May. He never received the Customs he had on order. I got on the list for 2 of them. The Ruger rep assured him he'd get all they needed. They had them advertised for 219.99.
Needless to say months later it never happened. That's when the LCPII was ready to be released and the Customs had been discontinued.
My replacement was received yesterday around 2:00 according to the Fed Ex email I received but the dealer never called. I assume they'll be calling this AM!

I'll give a range report. I hope to get out there today depending if and when I get it today.

10mm. It's like two
40s with every shot.
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife an LCP custom for Christmas in 2015. The trigger was far superior to my friends S&W Bodyguard. In fact, he sold his Bodyguard and bought a custom after he tried hers. I just wish the sites were a little shorter. I hope they are just temporarily halting production to focus on the II. I have considered buying a second one just for me.

Posts: 618 | Registered: March 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked that Custom LCP up on 2/15. I haven't had a chance to get to the range with it yet. From what I've seen so far with this Custom I like it better than the LCPII.
I think Ruger possibly made a mistake replacing the Customs with the LCP II’s.
The trigger on this Custom is allot nicer than the early LCP's which was my complaint with my very early LCP.
The main thing is peace of mind knowing I won't have a fully cocked gun in my wallet pocket with a chambered round.

I have 2 new guns to take to the range.

I picked up a new S&W M&P 45 Shield last Friday. I couldn't pass it up for 369.00.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by topherh:
I have a nondashed serial and added the SS guide rod and the Galloway trigger almost 3 years ago. In my opinion it was a big upgrade over stock. Took all of the slop out and made the break much more consistent.

Is that the Sweet Pea trigger you're talking about? I've been thinking about that for my LCP-CT.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post