SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 45ACP 5" Barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 45ACP 5" Barrel Login/Join 
posted
How common is the P220 in 45ACP with a 5" barrel and FIXED sights?
So far I have only seen a few, about one quarterly on Gunbroker...
The ones that I have noticed all had milled slides with internal extractors.

Any idea if it is possible to convert a 10mm Legion into 45ACP?
Thanks
M17

Posts: 8 | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Medic17:
How common is the P220 in 45ACP with a 5" barrel and FIXED sights?
So far I have only seen a few, about one quarterly on Gunbroker...
The ones that I have noticed all had milled slides with internal extractors.

M17

Welcome to the Forum

There were not many of the P220 Match Elite pistols with fixed sights. The Adjustable sight version is much more common.

I had both but sold my fixed sight version many years ago.
quote:
Originally posted by Medic17:
Any idea if it is possible to convert a 10mm Legion into 45ACP?
Thanks
M17
Almost any gunsmithing task can be accomplished if you want to apply enough cash to the project. This one is not that tough

Obviously the breach face would need to be enlarged. It is possible that the locking piece might need to be changed to match the 45ACP barrel that you plan to use. Other than that you would need a proper recoil assembly and magazines

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard! Rather than mess around with a conversion, just look for a cop trade in P220 .45
They are plentiful and cheap. And lots of folks, including Sig, can re-hab a used P series into something great.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Various production estimates for the DA/SA version of the model you're looking for floated around here for a couple of years, running (I think) from 50 to 100. They were also made as SAOs, which seem to have been marginally more plentiful than the DA/SA versions. As far as I can tell, they were only made in 2005 and perhaps in 2006. If you can find an upper half somewhere, it will fit perfectly on the regular frames from either the P220 or P227 regardless of whether the upper half came from an SAO or DA/SA.

For what it's worth, BarSto does offer a suitable barrel. I would recommend getting the Match Target version. It'll require fitting, but it will give your gunsmith the most flexibility in terms of being sure to be able to fit the 10mm slide and the word from the (truly) knowledgeable is that slide/barrel lockup at the front of the barrel is the secret to getting the best accuracy. The BarSto barrel may also free you from SIG's "match cut" chamber, which doesn't really seem to do anything (in my experience) except help induce failures to feed once the pistol is dirty (650 rounds + without cleaning) if you're using the factory ten-round mags. Also for what it's worth, the FTFs are an utter non-issue if you stick with factory 8-round mags (tested to 1,000 rounds with no cleaning).

http://www.barsto.com/category...n.cfm?ID=20E&cco=118

I'd like to tell you about the locking insert, but my 10mm is not only locked away but buried due to some work I had to have done on my house. The locking insert for the .45 will have five dots on both the port and starboard sides of the top.

There are a few very good gunsmiths out there that can handle the job, but the easy way to go would be to contact Grayguns. They can also do you a very nice guide rod if you need one.

Other than that, the factory made them with the standard P220 grips, extractors, recoil springs and magazines, all of which have worked fine for me for...egad, fifteen years. Keeping one running should be no sweat.

ETA: Just took a look over at Numrich; no factory barrels in stock there.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah after rethinking it a conversion is just a bad idea.

I know the 4.4" guns are a dime a dozen right now.

I guess I have to keep my eyes peeled for a 5" with fixed sights or settle for a 10mm.

Is there a weight difference on the frames in 45 vs 10mm?

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Don't give up yet. They do pop up from time to time - for example:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/792543628

I have no connection to the seller, and am not familiar with that particular pistol. If the barrel really sucks, you could always go the BarSto route.

And, in the grandest traditions of SigForum, I have to tell you: don't "settle" for a 10mm, get both!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Medic

Do you have a contact? Email me. It’s in my profile.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies.
10x - email inbound.

posted Hide Post
Medic there are two on GunBroker.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
M

posted Hide Post
I am still on the prowl for a 5" P220 in 45 ACP with Fixed Sights. I would prefer a alloy frame.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Consider placing an ad in the Classified section every now and then.

I've had good luck finding stuff there.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post

Single Action only?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks familiar !!

I remember her well.

Picture of ajp3jeh
posted Hide Post
The answer I've seen on the forum is 50-75. I have two and they both came off of SAO frames.

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Northern Mississippi | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ouch. That is not good news.