SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The Gen5 G19 and big fat fingers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Gen5 G19 and big fat fingers Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P6shooter:
I played with one at my local dealer today. I was extremely disappointed. The new trigger sucked! Absolutely sucked, the cutout at the bottom of the front strap ruins the feel of the grip. 5 Generations and Glock still can't get it right!

Almost everyone that has tried the Gen 5 Glocks likes the new trigger better than the previous models.YMMV

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue. I cannot wait to see if they have solved the problem by removing the finger grooves. I love them on my 17 and the 26 but the 19 is where they just don't work for me.

Posts: 20 | Registered: August 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Finally picked up the Gen 5 19:

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Ameriglo! Good pick up.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Sorry I haven't replied. Just saw this.

The bottom of the grip is flared out on the gen 5s to essentially create a magwell.

In practice the flare increases the distances between the magazine and the frame where the cutout is so, although my finger still sits on the cutout, there is enough space between the frame and magazine that I don't get pinched

I now have 3 19s and a 17 and carry one of the 19s everyday. Between the 3 of them I'm probably past 3000 rounds with no failures of any sort and I shoot the hell out of them

On my previous generation glocks I changed the trigger, trigger spring, connector, etc to get the gun where I like it and I shoot the gen 5 out of the box better than gen 3s or 4s I invested several hundred aftermarket dollars into in order to get where I liked it.

It really just needs good sights (and I actually really like the FBI ameriglos)

quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

On the gen 2 with the front cutout I would get pinched every time I pulled the trigger

None of this is the case with the gen 5s

How does the shape or location of the cutout on the Gen5 differ from the Gen2? I've handled both but not side by side. I assumed they were pretty much the same.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the new look but why do they keep the standard framed beavertail? I know you can add one of the 4 pieces but I can't believe they didn't add one to the rear when they changed the mold to make the newer designs. How hard would that have been? They did it on the 43. I love my Glocks but always need the beavertail or get slide bite.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
My last Glock was a G31 with the frying pan finish, a factory refurb, like new.

I looked at a G5/19 a couple of weeks ago, but wanted to also look at the G5/17 at the same time, but the gun shop didn't have the 17.

I liked the G19, but $650 seems a little high to me, and also I may trade into the Glock if I go that route. I liked the G4 because the grip was smaller than previous models, and I like the grip on the G5 even more.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I picked up my Gen5 G19 on Labor Day and PSA was having a sale. I got mine for $500 (standard sights)
I really am liking it, have right about 1500 rounds through it.
I have good size hands and they are pretty thick, I don't notice or feel the front cut out and have never been pinched at the cut out.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was all excited for the gen5 and hoped it would be like the mhs trial gun minus the safety selector. very disappointed. slide is slicker that vasoline, flared magwell makes it a safety issue inserting or removing mags. the cutout is sharp and intrusive. its the shooter not the barrel that makes a marksman.

trigger feels smother.

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Operations:
I was all excited for the gen5 and hoped it would be like the mhs trial gun minus the safety selector. very disappointed. slide is slicker that vasoline, flared magwell makes it a safety issue inserting or removing mags. the cutout is sharp and intrusive. its the shooter not the barrel that makes a marksman.

trigger feels smother.

So I guess I don’t understand. The MHS pistol has a flared magwell, just no cutout. It also has the same nDLC finish and the same “marksman” barrel.

I do like the “carry” (17) grip on the MHS.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the Gen5 yet, but did a little custom work on the 19 I do have.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
quote:
Originally posted by Operations:

trigger feels smother.

So I guess I don’t understand. The MHS pistol has a flared magwell, just no cutout. It also has the same nDLC finish and the same “marksman” barrel.

I do like the “carry” (17) grip on the MHS.

I have still not heard when the MHS is up for sale. I think I would like one of those more.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

I looked at a G5/19 a couple of weeks ago, but wanted to also look at the G5/17 at the same time, but the gun shop didn't have the 17.

I liked the G19, but $650 seems a little high to me, and also I may trade into the Glock if I go that route. I liked the G4 because the grip was smaller than previous models, and I like the grip on the G5 even more.

The minimum advertised price is 559. Shop around, 650 is way too much.

Let me know if you can't find one at a decent price. I have a G5 17 in stock. Email is in my profile.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

The minimum advertised price is 559. Shop around, 650 is way too much.

Let me know if you can't find one at a decent price. I have a G5 17 in stock. Email is in my profile.

$650 is about how much it should be w/ factory installed night sights.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my Gen 5 G19, I lightly sanded the complete outer edge of the grip cutout, just taking off the sharp edge. I also put around a .060" wide by 45 degree chamfer or bevel on the *inner* edge of the cutout where the mag is inserted. It pretty much eliminates any chance of the mag hanging up on the front inside edge of the magwell .

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Solution to those of you that cant stand the Gen 5 19 grip.

Base plates for the gen 2. I have a few on order.

http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/PG-2021BD2.htm

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post