SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta APX Review
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta APX Review Login/Join 
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted
I just wanted to post a few observations about the Full size Beretta APX I picked up last week.

http://s57.photobucket.com/use....jpg.html?sort=3&o=4
http://s57.photobucket.com/use....jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
http://s57.photobucket.com/use....jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

The first thing I noticed when picking up the APX is the feel of quality. It definitely feels like a well made Pistol. My example has almost no decernable play between the slide and frame and a very solid feel. The grip feels slim with the medium back strap. I'm sure the folks with smaller hands will appreciate the ability to switch to the smaller size without having to replace the whole frame module like you do with the Sig 320.
I know some people don't really care about swappable frames but I think it's going to become the standard in the years to come.
There are just too many advantages. For one, the Polymer frame is the weakest part of the pistol. If you do screw up a stippling job, you can replace the frame in 5 minutes. You could also change calibers,Grip lengths, Colors, put competition versions with large mag wells.... the list goes on.
Of course, this all depends on Beretta releasing them. Based on the options already out there from Beretta like 21 round magazine, Fiber Optic adjustable sights,night sights etc., I believe they will.

Anyone who uses a pistol hard (Competition Shooters) for example, know just how quickly polymer stippling becomes worthless. That's why Grip tape is so popular. The APX has very good stippling as it comes from the factory. The pistol really locks into my hand. The Trigger guard is undercut and you can get a really deep grip on the pistol. While the bore axis isn't Glock low, it is pretty close. To all who think that doesn't matter, try gripping your pistols as low as possible and tell me how it goes. Big Grin

The gun appears to built from the ground up to handle .40 caliber. It has a very robust slide.
The serrations may look ugly to some but they allow you to rack the slide from just about anywhere on the pistol. This is a nice feature IMHO.
Anyone running a pistol in a hot humid environment should appreciate this.
The total number of parts is around 45. A little over half as many as the ridiculously complex VP9 that has close to 75.
I believe it's a testament to the thought that went into the gun. It appears to be a very clean design and should be easy to maintain.
The ambi slide stop/Releases work equally well from either side and drops the slide with ease. I can't say that about a lot of other pistols.
The inside machining looks flawless and the internals well designed and robust as well. It also appears to have a milled extractor. There are very few visible pins on the pistol, unlike some of the other new entries. While not a deal breaker by any means, the fewer pins to drift/loose the better.

Inserting fully loaded magazines on a forward slide much better than most pistols i've tried. This should eliminate the need to download magazines because the magazines may not seat properly. Chambering a round with the slide down using a fully loaded magazine doesn't offer any resistance like you get with Glocks for example. it is very smooth.
The magazine release appears to be very robust with a heavy spring. I don't think many will accidentally drop magazines. The magazines lock into the pistol firmly.
http://s57.photobucket.com/use....jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
It's not completely ambi but it is reversible. I really don't want too many ways to eject my magazines so i'm ok with this.

The sights are steel. The rear sight has a ledge to allow one hand manipulation. They are nothing special and will more than likely be replaced at some point with something smaller.

Field stripping the gun is EASY. Some of the early videos made it look way harder than it really is.
I'm not saying TheYankeeMarshal is an idiot! Razz

The trigger is very good as it comes. I suggest you spray a little CLP into the action and put a couple of hundred rounds through the gun before you draw any conclusions. It has a nice short reset.

Bottom line........ I believe this is a very good gun. If you're in the market for a full size gun, I suggest you take a look it this pistol.
I paid $525.00 for mine and I feel like it was a bargin.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the write up. Do you feel any pinch between the mag and frame? Like like a little gap.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Thanks for the write up. Do you feel any pinch between the mag and frame? Like like a little gap.

I have not. The beveled base pads i'm sure help.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
"The total number of parts is around 45. A little over half as many as the ridiculously complex VP9 that has close to 75."

Do you have a count of a G17/19?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
"The total number of parts is around 45. A little over half as many as the ridiculously complex VP9 that has close to 75."

Do you have a count of a G17/19?

The Glocks are around 34 or so. Gen 3s anyway. They set the standard.

-- George Orwell

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Never shot one. But have handled a couple. The build quality does seem excellent. The trigger however sucked on both the examples I have handled. It might be better in actual use but I did not like the trigger.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7670 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I dry fired one at the lgs today. The reset seemed sluggish or less positive. Does your pistol do this. My n=1, but that's all I have to go on.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
When I first dry fired the pistol, it was not as smooth as I was expecting. I sprayed a little clp into the trigger and took it down to my range. I saw a noticeable improvement after the first 100 rounds with smoothness and reset. In its stock form, I believe it should be gtg for most users. I'm sure a heavier TRS might suit some better.

I see where Apex is gearing up to produce triggers for them as well as the FN 509 and CZ P10c.
https://www.apextactical.com/blog/?s=Apx+trigger

I need to put more rounds through the gun and see how it goes.

-- George Orwell

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The serrations may look ugly to some but they allow you to rack the slide from just about anywhere on the pistol. This is a nice feature IMHO.

I'm not on the same page with you here. What difference does weather make where and how you grasp a slide?

Posts: 27921 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
the triggers have thick grease in them from the factory. spraying them out and oiling is key to a smooth trigger.

Rumor has it there's a factory upgrade kit coming as well as competition recoil springs.
quote:
Together with the spring and spring holder striker Competition for APX gun. The competition spring allows to reduce the weight of the shooting up to 150g with respect to the original shot weight

http://estore.beretta.com/it-e...on-assembly-for-apx/

Posts: 3078 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
[QUOTE]The serrations may look ugly to some but they allow you to rack the slide from just about anywhere on the pistol. This is a nice feature IMHO.

I'm not on the same page with you here. What difference does weather make where and how you grasp a slide?[/QUOT
Sorry I didn't make this clear. i was referring to the positive serrations being easy to grasp with wet sweaty hands.

-- George Orwell

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the review, O/P.

How is the recoil impulse, and how is it in terms of being flat shooting/staying on target?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Thanks for the review, O/P.

How is the recoil impulse, and how is it in terms of being flat shooting/staying on target?

My son and I came to the same conclusions. It felt soft and should handle .40s very well. Because of the great texture and deep grip, The pistol was easy to shoot. We both almost immediately wanted to shoot it fast. Wink

-- George Orwell

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
the triggers have thick grease in them from the factory. spraying them out and oiling is key to a smooth trigger.

Rumor has it there's a factory upgrade kit coming as well as competition recoil springs.
quote:
Together with the spring and spring holder striker Competition for APX gun. The competition spring allows to reduce the weight of the shooting up to 150g with respect to the original shot weight

http://estore.beretta.com/it-e...on-assembly-for-apx/

Beretta doesn't seem to be wasting time with the accessories. I believe it was released in Europe first so that maybe why.

-- George Orwell

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
i was referring to the positive serrations being easy to grasp with wet sweaty hands.

OK, makes sense now.

Posts: 27921 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

Beretta doesn't seem to be wasting time with the accessories. I believe it was released in Europe first so that maybe why.

Also...they have heard their customers loud and clear. Its ridiculous to wait two years for spares or for accessories.

Want a successful launch? Make stuff available at the same time as the gun.

Now, if they could just get the threaded barrels on the market...

Posts: 3078 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

Also...they have heard their customers loud and clear. Its ridiculous to wait two years for spares or for accessories.

Want a successful launch? Make stuff available at the same time as the gun.

Now, if they could just get the threaded barrels on the market...

This says "out of stock" but it looks like they had them or will have them soon.
http://www.berettausa.com/en-u...hreaded-barrel-9mm-/

RMR options are coming as well.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...ttas-new-apx-nra-17/

-- George Orwell

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I got to dry fire an APX in LGS yesterday.

I liked the trigger. I bet after a few hundred dryfires it would be very nice.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I got to dry fire an APX in LGS yesterday.

I liked the trigger. I bet after a few hundred dryfires it would be very nice.

First time handling one I found the APX quite likable. The full slide serrations look odd but functionally make sense. Takedown took a bit to figure out. Average trigger as strikers go but it's serviceable and probably won't drive anyone nuts like a that of a Glock or worse yet, M&P 1.0. To me, Beretta studied the competition well, took notes and came up with a pretty good gun, far better than their last striker, the Nano.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Between the CZ P10 and Beretta's APX, I like the APX better.

More character.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post