SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ambidextrous safeties on 1911 question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ambidextrous safeties on 1911 question Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
jcabolt2’s thread on pistols with ambidextrous controls got me to wondering what everyone thinks of ambidextrous safeties on 1911 type pistols. They were the thing to have, either from the factory or added on by a gunsmith. Then, a few years ago I started seeing people mentioning they forgoing the right side safety, in some cases replacing it with the previous style single sided one and occasionally it was mentioned that they cut off the right side safety and dressed the shaft down to a flush fit. So, needed? Not needed? Necessary evil?

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the 1911s I owned with ambi safeties, I had a couple of episodes where the right side snagged, rubbed or caught on something and was clicked off.
Right side only, now.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
If I were left handed, I could see getting an ambidextrous safety.

I'm not left handed, so no need for them on my guns.

Ever since the Corps, I've made sure I can work all of my guns weak-side one hand. The 1911 is not difficult in that regard to me.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am left handed so I have no choice if I want to be able to actually use the thing for more than range practice.

On a SD pistol, I think it is imperative that you learn to use it with your non-dominant hand, and that it is fully functional. On a 1911 and most other pistols, I can hit the mag release and slide stop with my left index finger. Slingshotting the slide works if the slide stop is not easily reached.

Get a holster that covers the safety and prevents it from snagging.

What I'd really like to find as an ambi GI style safety that isn't the modern extended kind.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
What I'd really like to find as an ambi GI style safety that isn't the modern extended kind.

That’s an interesting idea, I know a number of people don’t like and change out the extended slide stop.

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Right side only, now.
You're left-handed?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I routinely replace the ambidextrous safeties on my 1911 pistols.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
On the 1911s I owned with ambi safeties, I had a couple of episodes where the right side snagged, rubbed or caught on something and was clicked off.
Right side only, now.

This is my experience as well. Guess you meant left side only.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Before my accident I used to do a lot of shooting from both sides, so I liked them on the couple guns that had them. (though I didn't go out of my way to add any more) Shooting matches that required drawing and shooting weak hand, I definitely preferred them to the guns that didn't. (It's amazing the conversations you can have with yourself in the span of a second or so.. (draw gun, disengage safety, transfer gun from right hand to left and think "careful.. why didn't I ever add an ambi safety to THIS gun?")

On most of the guns I do have them on, I ground/polished down the off side to minimalist dimensions.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I own a couple of 1911s with extended ambi safeties. These are not for self defense, but for fun and as reference pieces for my collection.

But, I've never had a problem with them snagging or catching on anything. I would guess it just comes down to having the proper holster, and the proper training.

Other than that, I prefer self defense type pistols without any form of safety to have to worry or think about. I'm not sure if this is legal in competition though.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have I believe 2 1911s with ambi safeties. I ride high on the gun and have found that the right side lever digs slightly into my knuckle but its nothing terrible. In fairness my 1911s are BBQ guns currently so its not something I really think about.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am left handed and think they are wonderful. I have a few older 1911s that I do not shoot much that don't have an ambidextrous safety.. But I would not purchase a new 1911 that did not have one. Altho I would be quite content with a 1911 that just had a safety on the right side. But I have never seen one and do not know if any one makes a right side only safety for a 1911.

Posts: 619 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I used to think they were almost a necessity. Then I actually got a couple 1911 style pistols and carried them. On multiple occasions my 1911 with ambi safeties has been rubbed against something that swiped the safety off. This was with a couple different belt and IWB holsters.
This has not happened with a shoulder holster.
I still have the ambi safety pistols. And honestly, the safety getting swiped off doesn’t bother me a whole great big bunch. The trigger is still covered and the palm safety still has to be depressed.
So these days I’m mainly indifferent to ambi safeties.
They cause more holster issues, IME, than anything. Getting a new holster strap stretched around that right side safety can be a chore during break in.

Posts: 6303 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep... I mean left sided! Thanks!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of 1911'a with ambi safeties. I did a build many years ago and put one one; they weren't common back then. My thinking has evolved somewhat, and I prefer a left side safety only, especially for carry.

The ambi safeties come in several flavors, but tend to have some play between right and left. I never liked that. The plunger is only on the right side, and the left side ends up the weak side, regardless. I'd just as soon have a left side only on a 1911. I can snick it on or off using my left hand by throwing the thumb over, but generally, if it's been drawn from the holster, by the time it makes it to my left hand, the safety is off. Ambi safety on a 1911 doesn't do much for me.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I prefer single sided safeties, but I'm right handed. If I have to, I can pretty easily manipulate the safety on the wrong side with my left hand. If I were LEFT handed though I'd prefer the safety on the other side. My TRP is the only 1911 I have with an ambi safety and that's because it came with one.

Maybe if someone made an ambi where the right side lever was very minimalist and it attached to the pin going through the frame with some sort of set screw... <rushes to file patent paperwork on new idea>

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a left handed shooter, an ambi safety is a requirement on a 1911 for me. But I am not a fan of ambi controls as they increase the width of the gun, and can get in the way. I am waiting for someone to build a 1911 with reversible controls. Sig, Beretta, Glock,etc make magazine releases that are reversible. Now if someone would make a 1911 with a reversible safety and slide release, it would be usable by both sides.

But as a left handed shooter, I use my trigger finger for magazine release and slide release, but need a right-sided safety to carry in Condition 1.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Of my 7 1911s, only one has an ambi-safety and it is a switch caliber range toy. All the others are single thumb safety equipped.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hate ambi’s on my 1911’s.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I carry a 1911 and have for a long time. I will not carry a 1911 with an ambi safety. They have clicked off too many times on me.

If I were left handed, I'd grind off the left side of an ambi safety only leaving the part that contacts the plunger, essentially making it a right sided only safety.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post