New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 FTE Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted
My S&W Pro series 9mm 1911 has decided to throw hissy fits recently. When I bought the gun new I also picked up 500rds of CCI blazer 147gr aluminum cased ammo. It shot all of that very well with no issues.

Now that it's gone I've moved on to an ammo that's been in my stash. Winchester 100rd value packs of 115gr fmj. Couple times a magazine it'll fail to eject the empty. Cases aren't stuck in the chamber either they'll fall right out if you jiggle the gun a little. Ok, doesn't like that ammo. Speer lawman 124gr fmj is next, does the same thing with that. What the hell, that's supposed to be decent ammo. What the heck do I do next? Really don't want to send it back. Red Face

If I understand correctly it's got what's called an external extractor. It looks good and has a good stiff spring in there. Forgot to mention, when the FTE happens I just close the slide manually again and rack it and it always slings out the empty case that way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jus228,

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the recoil spring is to stiff (it maybe over sprung). It sounds like the slide is not have enough velocity to kick the empty case out. Try a lighter recoil spring, maybe 1 or 2 pounds. Or try some other 147gr ammo.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Had a friends doing exactly the same as yours.
Bad extractor.
Sent it back to S&W and they fixed it.
Looked like the extractor was slipping off the case rim.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am not a 1911 savant but what little I know sounds like the extractor needs to be adjusted/replaced.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that it just doesn't like 115s.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Seems to me that it just doesn't like 115s.

Bob

Yep. Advice I got here for my Sig Ultra Compact 9mm was run a couple hundred 124 & 147gr through it first.
I ran probably 300-400 higher grain rounds and then went back to 115. Never had a problem again.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I need to make a correction, the Speer Lawman was 124gr fmj if that makes a difference.

Wouldn't 500rds of 147gr be enough if that's what it needed?

I have never sent a firearm back in the 20 years I've been into guns. Not sure I'd know how to do it. Confused

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
I need to make a correction, the Speer Lawman was 124gr fmj if that makes a difference.

Wouldn't 500rds of 147gr be enough if that's what it needed?

I have never sent a firearm back in the 20 years I've been into guns. Not sure I'd know how to do it. Confused

500 rounds should do it. I'm like you and have never sent a firearm of any kind in for service.
If it still won't cycle the 115's but does good with the 147's, you'd have to make the choice on whether to send it back of just stick to the higher grain rounds.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S+W pays shipping both ways. I'd frankly just send it to them. I sent them a gun once and it was turned around pretty quickly and totally painlessly.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Call S&W customer service and describe the problem. They'll email you a shipping label that you'll print out and adhere to the shipping parcel. All you need is a plain box with some bubble wrap, styrofoam popcorn, newspaper, etc. to protect the gun inside the shipping box. You don't need to send the original case or box with the gun. Tape it up good and tight with the shipping label and any RMA info that they provide with the email, then take it down to the actual FedEx or UPS distribution center (not the UPS copy centers) or call for a pickup. I'm pretty sure it was FedEx they used as their carrier when I sent my Victory back to them last year.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Little update, I picked up a couple boxes of 147gr fmj American Eagle and took it to the range tonight.

A couple shots into the 1st magazine it malfunctioned same as always. I cleared it and kept going. Went on to shoot the rest of that 100rds without any issue. When it's working it's such a fantastic shooting pistol...I cleaned the paint right off of my 12" steel plate at 25 yards. Stepped back to 35 yards for a couple magazines with same accuracy, went 20 for 20 from that distance.

Sooo well damn what do I do, keep shooting it or sent it off during the peak shooting season we have (there is no indoor range for me during the winter)

I cleaned it up and relubed and I guess I'll try some more 115 and 124 loads next time and push past the first malfunction if it comes and go from there I guess...

Picture of Hamfisted
posted Hide Post
How's it cycle when you do it manually? Any hickups? If it ejects 100% reliable when you cycle it manually I'd look at tuning the recoil spring for your ammo selection. Pickup a set of recoil springs from Wolff. Like the 13115 set of reduced power springs (stock 9mm should be 14 lbs...). Start with a 14lb spring and work your way down till you get 100% reliability.

-Mike

https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/1911%20GOV

Posts: 270 | Location: Ft Lauderdale | Registered: October 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I will try that out tonight.

posted Hide Post
Are you lubing it with just oil? NO GREASE? It is a 1911 and more times than not, I've seen grease slow the slide velocity down too much and cause issues.

Given your situation, if it's simply a range pistol, I'd enjoy it for the rest of the season and deal with the hiccups and then send it back. The factory S+W plastic box usually fits tight inside of the Fedex box and good to ship.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I use rig +p grease. Same stuff I've used on every pistol I've ever owned. The slide fit isn't that tight. It's slick as snot when you rack the slide by hand.

I've got a 13-12-11lb Wolff recoil spring combo on the way to test with. Extractor has enough tension to set a loaded cartridge under it with slide off the pistol and shake the slide vigorously and it doesn't fall out. That's supposedly one of the things to try to see if tension is enough I guess haha anyway...

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
After you try the springs consider this. If your RIG +P grease is like mine, that's a pretty thick viscosity. Many people think it's a better rust preservative than a lubricant. I agree with that.

Try a quality oil like FP10 or SLP and see if that works better. If it does, then try Brian Enos' Slide Glide Lite. I use it year around in AZ on all of my pistols.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
The climate in Vt is much different than in Az.

I would give up the grease and use oil.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Have you experienced winter in northern AZ at 5,200+ ft? Razz

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post