SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Another 22 Auto Question, Star F series.Triple K mags
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another 22 Auto Question, Star F series.Triple K mags Login/Join 
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted
Anyone have and shoot a Star Model F or F** 22LR?

I have a FR Sport and in my current 22 phase dug it out. It has a nice trigger and functions well when it feeds properly. If I load 10 rounds for some reason it won't strip and load the first two rounds or so. So by just loading 7 rounds it works fine.

I see Triple K makes a replacement magazines for the Star F. Years ago I tried a Triple K in a High Standard (maybe?) that didn't function.
What is your opinion of Triple K mags in general ?
Anyone try their Star 22 mags specifically?

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you would probably be better off trying to make your own mags than to buy Tripple K mags. I maintain that I will never trust Triple K mags again.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Triple K is right up there with ProMag. They suck. Try GunMagWarehouse.com. The have lots, and you might find what you need.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have only owned one(1) Triple K mag, and I can assure you there will be no more!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Triple K magazines have a poor reputation. I tried a 10-round for a Mini-14 (at the time, the California and AWB capacity bans were in effect and Ruger only produced 5-round) and didn't even get out the door with it, having a "bolt-over-base" misfeed on the very first round. BUT … they are also about the only option for long-out-of-production guns like yours. Try one out and see. (check the vendor's return policy first.) It may surprise you and actually work. Or keep shooting the gun "as is."

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
It should not be that hard to make a copy of a magazine that works. Mec-gar can do it and does it very well. Magazines seem like simple construction with few parts. I mean, come on, it ain't a complicated animal .

egregore is right, Triple K is about the only option and their catalog is impressive. Just spend a little more time measuring and fitting,testing. Geez.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always had good luck with Triple K mags and they are often the only option for uncommon pistols. I do agree that original mags are the way to go if they can be found. I also agree that ProMags suck.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Triple K was the only game in town for my Beretta 71. I had to stone the rear edges to smooth the fit, but it does work.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLD_COP:
Triple K was the only game in town for my Beretta 71. I had to stone the rear edges to smooth the fit, but it does work.

Got a package one day..what is this?..oh, the 2 triple k mags that I ordered 4 months earlier (Beretta 70s) Roll Eyes

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Recently ordered magazines for an older Beretta. They do not fit, slide in 1/2 way and then will not enter any further. Serious design flaw.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1552 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t get any triple K .22 magazine to function. YMMV.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
Anyone have and shoot a Star Model F or F** 22LR?

If I load 10 rounds for some reason it won't strip and load the first two rounds or so. So by just loading 7 rounds it works fine.

I see Triple K makes a replacement magazines for the Star F. ...

Don't take this the wrong way, but- have you disassembled the Star magazines and cleaned them properly?

If you haven't- I'd try this before ordering anything other than Star magazines.

When apart, scrub it out really well. If there is an rust/debris, get it out. Use steel wool if needed. Do this on the springs and follower also.

When you put it back together, keep in mind that some of these older firearms actually recommended a drop of oil inside the magazine as part of their maintenance.

What you are describing sounds like the spring is either running into unexpected resistance that the spring can't overcome [like rust/corrosion/debris inside a dry mag] or the springs are simply too old.

Now, and FR Sport should be something made since around 1960 to 1980, right? It has to be at least 40 years old. It could be nasty in there.

I have a 1956 Star Model F and only Star magazines. It is a pain as it doesn't lock back on last shot, but- it is reliable and I don't get that feeding issue.

However, I did a detail strip of the mags as I described above, and a light oil in the [empty] mag as I reassembled it.

You mentioned High Standard and 3K mags.

High Standard pistols are very magazine sensitive, and 3K didn't start to make them with thick enough feed lip sections until sometime in the 2000s.

The HS handgun requires precise bending, and then- even if it is all good- you may need to shim the magazine because the mag well is too large.

I have some experience with the HS .22 handguns also.

Detail strip that mag, clean it out, and then take a look to see if you can figure out how to compare the mag spring to others and order something else.

I can't remember if it is an oval/rectangular spring like the 1911 [but smaller] or if the spring is a round 'tube' shaped, like a recoil spring. I 'think' it is the tube shaped one.

IF so, you could always measure OAL, measure thickness of the wire, measure the number of coils and then contact Wolff Gunsprings. Maybe they could do a comparison to some spring that they had that was close enough you could clip it to the right number of coils.

I'd do that before I ever bought a 3K mag.

Oh- if you are buying mags, keep in mind that you need to be clear about if the mag base caps the bottom of the mag well, or if the mag fits flush on the inside, with a tang sticking forward. Also, you need to be able to recognize the difference between the mags designed for the Star pistols that have the slide lock back [post 1958-1960, I think] and the earlier ones that do not lock back.

I found spare Star mags on ebay and gun broker- but you have to know what you are looking for.

Good luck!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll give the magazine a through cleaning . It was doing better toward the end of my session so i think I can get it to run well enough to work.

I'd love to have some real Star factory mags but haven't found any , not yet anyway! I'll keep looking periodically.

Another problem is staying focused on any one gun. I dug out a model D6 Unique and shot it some. Functioned fine but needs sight adjustment. Heavy trigger though. A real nice looking piece.

I have a few Star handguns and have spent more time with them and have done more maintenance , including the magazines. I'm not adverse to it just putting it off. I had to alter the barrel link for a 1911 to fit a model S and got it to run .

My rarest(?) Star is my model P . Nice solid 45.

Thanks for your post bczrx.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the tip. I'll give the magazine a through cleaning . It was doing better toward the end of my session so i think I can get it to run well enough to work.

I'd love to have some real Star factory mags but haven't found any , not yet anyway! I'll keep looking periodically.

Another problem is staying focused on any one gun. I dug out a model D6 Unique and shot it some. Functioned fine but needs sight adjustment. Heavy trigger though. A real nice looking piece.

I have a few Star handguns and have spent more time with them and have done more maintenance , including the magazines. I'm not adverse to it just putting it off. I had to alter the barrel link for a 1911 to fit a model S and got it to run .

You are welcome. I envy your Model P. The closest I have is a Ballester Molina.

If you ever have a need- EGW gun parts makes the barrel link for the Star Model B and Model BM.

I completely get the whole -'Hmm, this is another one to tweak/fix. I'll grab something different for the range today'-mentality.

My life is like that also.

How heavy is the Unique trigger? I have had some that required gunsmithing to make them bearable. And I have refused a few that have good reputations because of trigger weight [Makarov and Nagant Revolver come to mind].

The one that was the biggest pain in the butt to lighten [safely] was a Femaru M37. Uggh.

Good luck!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
we'll see Big Grin Ordered up a couple
Boy, haven't thought about Sarco in years .

Thanks Voshterkoff !

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Another thing to think about is replacing the magazine spring. That would probably take some careful comparison to a more common .22lr pistols magazine spring, and probably the need to tweak it.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A dealer here once advised:
"Triple K magazines are fine. Just keep sending it back until you get one that works"

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

See if you can get new magazine springs for your existing mags.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
A new recoil spring couldn’t hurt either.