Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229C 9mm Login/Join 
posted
I was in the market for a P229 or M11-A1 in 9mm and found a P229C at a local gun shop. After researching a bit I found out the P229C is a mix of P224 and P229. I had seen P229C's in .357 and .40 but never in 9mm like this one. It's brand new from the factory so it's not a used one that someone converted to 9mm. I thought about it for awhile, undecided if I should buy it but I really liked the grips and the price was reasonable so I bought it. I like the G10 grips much better than the normal factory P229 grips...I think that is what sold me lol I figure the only real downside is it might be hard to find a holster for without having one custom made. I'll be taking it to the range tommorrow to see how it shoots.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 16 | Registered: June 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Nice score. I've never had the opportunity to handle one. The barrel is shorter, so it will conceal just a little easier than the standard P229. I'd like to see more pics, and tell how she shoots after you get some range time in. Looks sweet.

Do the old P229 mags work in this, or are they completely different?

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I own a Carry 40 SAS variant. Once I handled it, I bought it. Love the balance the short snout provides. You did good acquiring this one as they are rare in the wild.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I was a doubter until I was able to paw one. Grabbed on of the 40 SAS ones when CDNN was blowing them out. Then a 9mm top end from Sig and a locking block/front rail section from Numrich to make the swap complete. Also ditched the short trigger for standard. Love the gun more than I ever thought I would.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Nice score. I've never had the opportunity to handle one. The barrel is shorter, so it will conceal just a little easier than the standard P229. I'd like to see more pics, and tell how she shoots after you get some range time in. Looks sweet.

Do the old P229 mags work in this, or are they completely different?

Looks like the old P229 mags work. Here are some more pictures.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I own a Carry 40 SAS variant. Once I handled it, I bought it. Love the balance the short snout provides. You did good acquiring this one as they are rare in the wild.

I thought i may regret it if I didn't buy it, I probably wouldn't find another. I first saw it at the local gun store about 2 weeks ago, I was surprised they still had it when I went back today. It took a couple of weeks to convince the wife I needed it and I sold an old S&W revolver to help pay for it. Cool

Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Older 228 and 9mm 229 mags will work but the mag chute is standardized for the 40/357 mag so they'll wiggle a bit. Though in my experience they function fine. The "proper" mag is the -1 for 9mm.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
Older 228 and 9mm 229 mags will work but the mag chute is standardized for the 40/357 mag so they'll wiggle a bit. Though in my experience they function fine. The "proper" mag is the -1 for 9mm.

Do you know if holsters made for a P224 typically work for a P229C? I thought it might since the slide is the same but not sure if the frame being different would cause an issue.

Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I can't say for sure, use kydex bent by a local guy. They do look awfully close to the same.

Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Wow I really like that pistol.
Nice score!

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBP239:
quote:

Do you know if holsters made for a P224 typically work for a P229C? I thought it might since the slide is the same but not sure if the frame being different would cause an issue.

That 229c looks really awesome.

There are so few holsters out there for the 224 I just wonder if you'd have as much problem finding one as you will waiting for makers to get the 229c products made.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Yes, P224 Holsters will work. Btw, with the shorter length, it makes for an ideal AIWB carry Wink
quote:
Originally posted by JBP239:
quote:

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the extra pics. I'll have to check one out if any of the fun stores have one in stock.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
I'd like to see more pics, and tell how she shoots after you get some range time in. Looks sweet.

I went to the range today and put about 120 rounds through it with no issues. It shot very well but I shoot my P239 slightly better. My P239 has Von Stavenhagen style sights on it, for some reason I prefer those over the 3 dot style of sights on the P229C. I seem to be able to aim/focus in on the target a little more quickly and accurately with the Von Stavenhagen sights.

I went to the range with a friend who has P229. I shot his gun also, it was an interesting comparison shooting them one right after another. Both guns shoot fantastic, I would be happy with either one honestly. I felt the balance of his was slightly better with the longer barrel but I like the G10 grips on mine much better than the standard grips. The trigger was a little lighter and smoother on his too but he has a lot of rounds through his, I'm guessing mine will loosen a little with some more range time. And as someone else mentioned I think the P229C will conceal a little better with the shorter barrel at the expense of a little accuracy/balance. Both have pros and cons but both are excellent.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a keeper. Maybe down the road you can have the trigger worked on to sweeten it up for you. Their are plenty of folks on here like Grayguns qualified to take care of that for ya. Enjoy.

FBLM LGB!

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
A factory P229C in 9mm is one rare bird. A while back I came across someone selling a 9mm Carry conversion kit for the P229C but before now I've never seen a complete factory build 9mm gun. Nice find.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no idea that these existed, from the factory or conversions. Thanks for sharing.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I had no idea that these existed, from the factory or conversions. Thanks for sharing.

Yes it's rare for sure. I've only found 1-2 others in 9mm for sale online. I feel pretty lucky to find one at a local gun store, even if it was by accident lol The sig manual that came with it lists .40 and .357 parts and no 9mm.

I'm not a collector type that wants rare guns, I liked it so I bought it. I might have been better off with a normal P229 just because parts/holsters are easier to find but I do like it a lot Smile If anyone is looking for one Buds has one right now in 9mm. Do a search for P229CA...I've found some listed by searching for P229CA vs P229C.

posted Hide Post
So, would a P229C slide/barrel mount, and function on a standard non-rail P229 frame?

P229 AE 41XXX

Posts: 294 | Location: NJ | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
What a score! I wouldn't have had to think about it. I really like those grips too.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post