SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carry P365 in shoulder holster?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carry P365 in shoulder holster? Login/Join 
posted
Am I the only one who favors shoulder holster when possible? Just picked up a new P365 and thinking of picking up a rig. Any thoughts? I find it's the best way for me to carry with a jacket and while driving.

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I found shoulder holsters useful when driving the limo on protection operations or when sitting on a fixed post, otherwise I don't think they are as functional as strong side carry. BTW, shaken, not stirred.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After several decades of using a number of different carry modes, I'd have to say my preference is IWB. I haven't used my shoulder holsters in eons.

They're fine if you're wearing a jacket and don't intend to take it off. Consequently, they've had limited usefulness for me. Also, if you're in a hand-to-hand or have been taken to the ground, the holster will shift position. When you most need it, it's in a different location. If you've taken any type of hands-on defensive tactics training, you'll discover standing upright in your preferred position is not necessarily how an attack will go down.

If you have a very specific use, like HayesGreener, they're fine. Not for daily use and all-around carry, at least for my lifestyle. Also,in a face to face, the gun is more accessible to the perp than you.

IMO, IWB is more versatile for concealment and reliable accessibility. The gun can be covered with a jacket, sweater, sweat top or a plain shirt. For example, in colder weather, I'll have a sweater and jacket or vest. The sweater is behind the grip for accessibility. If I have to stop somewhere and remove the jacket, I just put the sweater over the gun. Simple.

In Summer, I wear shorts and an untucked shirt. Conceals the IWB and is still accessible.

I'm not knocking the shoulder holster. However, I'd consider it a specialty holster used for a narrow range of carry.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FIST makes a driving holster that is quite useful. It's a weak side cross draw with a swivel. For driving, you swivel it to position the gun with the muzzle pointed at the driver's door, when you get out it flips back to a vertical cross draw. For me, this works better than a shoulder rig when driving. I also usually have a strong side OWB with a small pistol in it.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
I carry a P320SC in a High Noon 'Under Taker' shoulder rig when I'm at work.

https://www.highnoonholsters.com/under-taker

They make this for the P365 as well.

I'm very happy with it, but I also understand that it is not a fast draw since I wear it under my (button down 5.11) shirt. I can go where I need to go, do what I need to do, and my customers don't need to know I'm carrying.

When I'm not at work then I normally carry in a kydex IWB.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoulder rigs are for guys that have to wear a suit all day IMO. In years past, that was more common, but not anymore.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post