SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What is going on with Beretta's finishing around the extractor pin hole?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is going on with Beretta's finishing around the extractor pin hole? Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Are you aware that it is intentional? You understand staking? Given, that's a rough job of it, I've made cleaner ones when I built my Yugo underfolder. Still, I think you are striving for something you're not going to find. Odd you ditch all SIGs except for the 556 which has some of the worst reputations.

But I do consider that purely cosmetic. Slide it across the pavement and you won't notice it as much! Or ditch them and buy a design that doesn't involve staking pins.

Yes I’m aware of what staking is. I have numerous 92’s, none look like this. These look like absolute shit. If you’d say this is acceptable, you and I don’t define acceptable in the same way.

I was asking if anyone else has seen new ones like this so I could judge if this is the new “acceptable” for Beretta.

If you must know, the only reason I kept the two 556’s is because one is an sbr. Given the hastle of getting a stamp and selling an NFA gun, I just kept it. The second is for parts of the SBC ever needs them.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lunchbox:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I just checked Wilson’s site and I see what you’re saying. Interesting.

This just sours me on all Berettas really. If I can’t back a brand 100%, I tend to dump everything I own of it. I purged Sig from my life years ago (except for two 556’s
Now I kind of want to sell off even my Beretta 400 shotguns and go to a different brand.

Also, I don’t really want to send them back for fear that they’ll just mess them up worse!

You dumped all of your Sigs but kept in my opinion the worst sig product ever made, the 556. I can see dumping the berettas if there was an issue other than cosmetics, but I do understand your frustration. I bought an Ed Brown 1911 that had to go back to them when it was brand new because the trigger bar was out of spec and sometimes the trigger would hang and not reset. Does that mean Ed brown 1911’s suck and I should sell all my other Ed Browns?

556 are answered above.

As the Brown, Brown’s CS is outstanding. They fix their mistakes. Heck, I had the front night aight go out on a Springfield EMP that was several years old and shot to hell and back. I called to see if i could pay to have a new one put on and Springfield CS wouldn’t hear of me paying for it. The lady was quite clear it should not be out and they sent me a shipping label. They even replaced my rear night aight too.

It’s not if a mistake happens, it’s what happens once one occurs. That’s what determines who I want to do business with.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'll give ya $50 for the Wilson Beretta, I mean if you're dumping it. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I'll give ya $50 for the Wilson Beretta, I mean if you're dumping it. Big Grin

Lol no. I might well be selling it though...but for a few bucks more.

And yeah, I wish I caught these prior to filling out the form. The A3 I picked up when day was I near Top Gun for work. I was in and out and didn’t really inspect it. The Wilson I literally walked into Adco, filled it out and picked it up. I never even opened the cardboard. I was between meetings and trying to hurry. Usually I don’t have to worry, I rarely give a new gun the inquisition, apparently I need to check Beretta’s work.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAR:
Beretta has always staked the extractor pin during final assembly, post finishing, from the Beretta Model 1951 through to the present day M9A3.

Granted, when they were made in Italy, the staking was neater (just a single thin stake) than what you see now.

I think Beretta started double staking the extractor pins when they got the US military contract. My newly purchased M9A3 looks like the OP's gun.

I can tell you that if the extractor pin is not staked securely on these guns, you will lose the extractor within a few shots.

Well crap. That’s the kind of info I was looking for. I was afraid this is the new normal. Ugh.

I don’t understand why they can’t seem to do it like they used to. My older samples are perfect; I’m having a hard time believing this is how they train people to do it. This just looks horrible. Like a second grader did it.

Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I think the staking is done with a machine, they all seem to be consistently bad looking. The machine is probably a bit worn out after doing so many military pistols.

But at least they won't fall out, I guarantee that would tick you off even more than sloppy looking staking does.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that kind of looks like crap. Just checked my Brig Tac and it doesn't look all that great either, although it would take a gun, a dog and a knife to take it away from me!! We'll see how my Cen Tac looks when I finally get it.

Having said that, assuming your WC was restaked because of work done at Wilson Combat your pistol probably has had the chrome silicon springs installed with the action tune and you should have a hell of a trigger AND a set of springs that, according to Bill Wilson, should last he life of the barrel in the pistol. Also, because of the focus on the area and the zoom used it looks worse than it really appears when looking at the whole pistol IMHO.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I looked again, my M9A3 has those marks.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same with my M9A3. Thought it was just mine but a quick search on google images show the same staking mark on almost every 92 photo of the top of the slide.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting a new M9A1 if I can find one. However I've heard mostly bad stuff about the fit and finish of the TN guns. My 1990 Italian 92 has excellent finish and the staking was done with a proper staking tool. Heck, I could use a punch or a screwdriver on my workbench and do a better staking job than that. Sad.

Posts: 474 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
That actually looks BETTER than the staking on my Wilson 92. My Vertec has a very neat rectangular stake mark over the extractor pin. The barrel on my Wilson also has a slight lump just in front of the barrel block where it wasn't machined down completely. You can barely see it, but you can feel it. It's just the exterior of the barrel at least. I was deeply annoyed at first, but good grief that gun shoots straight.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAds:
I've been wanting a new M9A1 if I can find one. However I've heard mostly bad stuff about the fit and finish of the TN guns.

My newly purchased M9A3 was made in Gallatin, the fit and finish are just as good as my Accokeek made M9.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

This just sours me on all Berettas really. If I can’t back a brand 100%, I tend to dump everything I own of it. I purged Sig from my life years ago (except for two 556’s).

You better not look at anything you own too closely.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of winter_war
posted Hide Post
My M9A3 staking looks exactly like yours. At least they're consistent. They also dinged the slide while installing the front sight off center. Big Grin

The Wilson looks like it was staked with a center punch.

Posts: 755 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

This just sours me on all Berettas really. If I can’t back a brand 100%, I tend to dump everything I own of it. I purged Sig from my life years ago (except for two 556’s).

You better not look at anything you own too closely.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Every M9A3 that's come through our shop has pretty much the same stake mark which looks much like yours. That's including mine. I learned to get over that given long before I bought my gun, especially since there's not much that can be done about it considering that you can't really patch a dinged or damaged Cerakote finish. Frankly, flaws in the frame anodizing bugged me more; that's just due to piss-poor parts handling when pin sized spots of bare allow alloy peek through in seemingly random locations.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: soggy_spinout,

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The M9A3 is a rolling around in the gravel gun, not a BBQ gun, so ...

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A better way might be to stake that hole with a hardened ball bearing. It would be more consistant and way better looking.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

That really has nothing to do with it. My basic, simple old 92's are staked properly. It is clean and doesn't mess up the finish.

Keep in mind, this isn't just the A3, it's the Wilson/Beretta too. I beat the snot the of an Ed Brown Kobra Carry. I also just picked up My EDC X9 last week. That will be scratched and abused as well.

It isn't about a roll around in the gravel gun. It's about right and wrong. Beretta used to do it right, now it's just garbage. If some find it acceptable, that's cool, I just don't.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Not at the price point they have it at

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post