SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How does the USP Expert 9mm compare to more "modern" pistols?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does the USP Expert 9mm compare to more "modern" pistols? Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
For those of you that have/had them, how does the USP Expert 9mm compare to more "modern" pistols such as the P320 series, Glock Gen5, H&K P30 and VP9, etc.?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4191 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a USP expert, a custom sport, full size and a compact. And a dozen or so other Hk's. I am a fanboy. I am also a SIG fanboy. The USP expert in my opinion, is as fine a pistol as you will find. The trigger is very good, but not great. It is shockingly easy to be accurate with and as reliable as any other Hk. I use mine often in USPSA. For a range gun, etc. I think they are great. Hard to compare with striker fired guns but definitely has a better trigger than the p30's.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double action is not as good as my robert burke X5 all round. The single action is as good as my 226 SAO.

The gun, to be fair, is 1990's tech through and through. It is tough as a tank, It is not a perfect DA, or superbe SA trigger. All that being said, it is, about as good as one can get for a working gun.

This is my nightstand gun

Factory mags are 15 rounds, versus modern guns 17 or 18. To get 17, you need a 40 dollar mag, and a 40 dollar mag well. How accurate is it, it is as acurate as any very well made gun. I am a huge fan boy of the USP line. My first duty gun has well over 50k through it. I have one of most of the common USP guns. I have shot them more than any other gun model. They just work for me.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Double action is not as good as my robert burke X5 all round.

Not even fair.....Ive only owned 1 other gun that was on par with my Robert Burke Allround.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The Expert is my favorite, when I was into to HK. But, it really is just a fancied up USP, with longer barrel (5 inches), adjustable rear sight, and a match trigger. Agree with Jon about the trigger. Everyone who has ever owned a regular HK USP knows that the trigger is atrocious. Even with the upgraded match trigger in the Expert or the Elite or the Tactical, it's still just barely up to very good. Sure, its trigger is better than the P30's, and that's not a compliment.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Side note, who is HK still making USP's for. I havent seen a P30L V1 in months but just saw a fresh batch of USP 9's

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Side note, who is HK still making USP's for. I havent seen a P30L V1 in months but just saw a fresh batch of USP 9's

I don't know that they are. I am betting it is a bit of back interest from the rash of usp40 police trade ins. They are well liked. So much, that i think people started looking for a usp in a 9.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Double action is not as good as my robert burke X5 all round.

Not even fair.....Ive only owned 1 other gun that was on par with my Robert Burke Allround.

I got my x5 ao From you. I chose that because it is a more modern gun at the same/near price point.

However the X5 does not have a rail,nor does it have a threaded barrel. It does have a 18+2 round mag as standard.

That being said, lets say i had 1400 retail to spend on a threaded barrel pistol. Would i pick up a USP T and mag well and a couple of 17 round mags.

NO, I would probably pick up a 226 SAO, and Sig Threaded barrel.

If i had that alread, I would pick up the USPT. Look, it has 24 years of track history. The USP line is a tank. They just keep going. They have a lot going for them. It is not as new as the 320, or other modern stiker guns. (i have not owned a p2k,p30.) Other than an actual X5, I am not sure there is a gun as robust out of the box, with the feature set of the USP. Maybe the legion, (i have not owned one of those either).

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't know that they are. I am betting it is a bit of back interest from the rash of usp40 police trade ins. They are well liked. So much, that i think people started looking for a usp in a 9.

I didnt think so either. They never dropped the price on them, even being 3 gens old now. Only track them because Im on the hunt for a clean USP, purely nostalgic purposes. I still like the P30's better.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I didnt think so either. They never dropped the price on them, even being 3 gens old now. Only track them because Im on the hunt for a clean USP, purely nostalgic purposes. I still like the P30's better.

I looked for about 6 months last year for my USP9. I found one locally here in va with 2 10 rounders and 4 15 rounder mags. 650$, so the deals are out there. I added the USP threaded barrel.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
However the X5 does not have a rail,nor does it have a threaded barrel. It does have a 18+2 round mag as standard.

Your Gen 1 X5 Allround never came with that 18+1 as standard. Original factory mag is the Mec-Gar 17-rounder flush-fit with the thin rubber base. The 18+1 in your pic is aftermarket Mec-Gar. Wink

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Your Gen 1 X5 Allround never came with that 18+1 as standard. Original factory mag is the Mec-Gar 17-rounder flush-fit with the thin rubber base. The 18+1 in your pic is aftermarket Mec-Gar. Wink

Thank you

posted Hide Post
The USP HK Expert or Elite also has the barrel fitted to the slide for better lock up. Is it on par with a Sig X5? I would say no, but the price point for an Expert is $1200 versus whatever an X5 goes for these days ~+2K. The USP line is a great pistol built like a tank.

I like the USP Expert and Elite from HK. Some might say they are outdated with many other brands having replaceable grip panels. The HK USP was ahead of it's time with the duel recoil spring system.

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you get one, I would recommend changing out the front site. I went with Dawson Precision. I think the Expert is a great shooter, very accurate and easy shooting firearm.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Doesn't the German army still issue them?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
quote:

Doesn't the German army still issue them?

They use the p8, same frame slide. Diferent safety, different barrel.

https://youtu.be/ks10XA9Ws5s

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Probably California. I don't believe P30 series, HK45, or VP9 is on roster so USP would be only full size 9MM HK pistols available there. I think same goes for Gen 3 Glocks.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:

Probably California. I don't believe P30 series, HK45, or VP9 is on roster so USP would be only full size 9MM HK pistols available there. I think same goes for Gen 3 Glocks.

Hmmm, I think you're right. The last 2 batches came with 10 round mags.

posted Hide Post
I find the HK USP Expert to be incredibly reliable and robust-----as one poster said, "It's a tank"----even more so than any of my Sigs, including the X5 line. The HK Expert trigger is excellent, out of the box better (IMHO) than an out of the box Sig trigger, but not better than a custom job (e.g., Burke) on a Sig target gun. The downside with the Expert is the grip----it always makes me feel like I'm holding a brick or a 2 x 4----but that said, I'm pleased with mine and not about to trade it off.

Posts: 41 | Location: Arizona | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:

Hmmm, I think you're right. The last 2 batches came with 10 round mags.

I wonder if it is list compliant state gun. IE MA/CA. It still is a fantastic gun.

ChairboreRanger, I put a Hogue handall on my USP 40 and USP 9. It fills out the palm swell and gets rid of the brick feeling.