SIGforum
How does the USP Expert 9mm compare to more "modern" pistols?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7420066854

July 09, 2019, 04:22 PM
taguin
How does the USP Expert 9mm compare to more "modern" pistols?
The USP expert measures up pretty well, no complaints from me. I think the handgun still performs just as well as the latest and greatest current handguns.

On a side note, Glock makes the 3rd gen for states like the people republic of kalifornia. The 4th gen and 5th gen for non ban states, this information came from a factory rep during blu label pricing days at a local LE dist.
July 10, 2019, 04:11 PM
throwingdown
Apples to oranges.

If you're grip is correct and solid DA regardless of weight should be irrelevant. I found it more difficult to DA/SA transition for say a double tap. Sig and HK both have excellent single action. And on HK you can carry cocked and locked.

Both durable. Sig heavier. The worst HK trigger is probably the 45c DA. It's like doing finger curls. Single is fine.
July 11, 2019, 12:05 PM
rock185
The grip of the others you mention fit me better than the USP Expert. I'm no doubt in the minority about that, as most others find the USP grip to be just fine. That being said, my USP Expert was literally 100% reliable with any of the several types of ammo I used, and as accurate as any pistol I've ever owned, to include the SIG 210, X-5, S&W 952, etc. The DA trigger was OK, but the SA trigger was by far the best I've ever experienced on a DA/SA type pistol. A clean 4#, with very short over travel. An exceptional pistol IMHO.

NRA Life
July 11, 2019, 10:04 PM
GJM AK
I have a bunch of full size USP pistols, most with the hybrid match LEM trigger, arguably the best hammer HK trigger ever. I was also lucky enough to get the first turbo pin awarded by Gabe White, in his class, while shooting a USP Expert 9 from concealed appendix, so I have some shooting experience with the USP pistols. I have also carried a USP FS 45 in Alaska for years.

https://www.gabewhitetraining.com/performance-awards/

The Expert is an incredibly accurate pistol, very soft shooting, although it pogos for me, when I try to shoot faster splits with it. Magazines and capacity are not the strong suit of the 9/40 USP pistols. Unlike some pistols that you can adapt to you, with grip panels and other mods, you must adapt to the USP.

There is a story that was on HK Pro, where a secretary at Federal Cartridges called HK CS to inquire about sending a USP FS 45, they used for ammo testing, in for PM. The HK rep asked how many rounds through the pistol, and the secretary rustled some papers, and came back and said 276,000 rounds since new and any PM. That is how tough a USP is.

Think of it like a 1980’s vintage 3/4 ton American built truck, with just 18,000 miles on it, always garaged. Not going to have the fancy features of a 2019, but definitelyntough and will get the job done.
July 16, 2019, 01:44 AM
SIGWALLY
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The Expert is my favorite, when I was into to HK. But, it really is just a fancied up USP, with longer barrel (5 inches), adjustable rear sight, and a match trigger. Agree with Jon about the trigger. Everyone who has ever owned a regular HK USP knows that the trigger is atrocious. Even with the upgraded match trigger in the Expert or the Elite or the Tactical, it's still just barely up to very good. Sure, its trigger is better than the P30's, and that's not a compliment.

The Hk Expert (also Elite and Tactical ) also has a match "O-Ring" bushing system that improves accuracy and is replaceable with spare O-Rings provided with each gun. I don't believe any other manufacturer has ever done this...
July 16, 2019, 06:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The Expert is my favorite, when I was into to HK. But, it really is just a fancied up USP, with longer barrel (5 inches), adjustable rear sight, and a match trigger. Agree with Jon about the trigger. Everyone who has ever owned a regular HK USP knows that the trigger is atrocious. Even with the upgraded match trigger in the Expert or the Elite or the Tactical, it's still just barely up to very good. Sure, its trigger is better than the P30's, and that's not a compliment.

The Hk Expert (also Elite and Tactical ) also has a match "O-Ring" bushing system that improves accuracy and is replaceable with spare O-Rings provided with each gun.

Correct.

Q