Find
Notify
Tools

P229 info Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
Do all NON railed 229’s have short extractors? I think I’ve seen the 229R both ways (long and short extractors), but don’t recall seeing a non railed one with a long extractor?? Just a little useless trivia for the night.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Do all NON railed 229’s have short extractors?

False.
M11-A1 - non-railed
Current P229 SAS2B - non-railed

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
12131.. I knew this was a question for you! The guns are LEO trade ins. There are no M11-A1’s...so that’s one out of the equation. What are the odds that these are short or long versions? No way to guess I’m sure. A serial number would tell, no?

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
12131.. I knew this was a question for you! The guns are LEO trade ins. There are no M11-A1’s...so that’s one out of the equation. What are the odds that these are short or long versions? No way to guess I’m sure. A serial number would tell, no?

Legacy slide = short
Full height serration slide = long
No other ways.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Nice, thank you.

posted Hide Post
There was a discussion here some years back about which was better, short or long extractor, but I don't remember if one was more reliable than the other. Anybody recall? I'm keeping my eyes out for a CPO with night sights, so I'd like to know if there's a preference.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
There was a discussion here some years back about which was better, short or long extractor, but I don't remember if one was more reliable than the other. Anybody recall? I'm keeping my eyes out for a CPO with night sights, so I'd like to know if there's a preference.

They are both fine, functionally. Some folks like the short one (I'm among them). Others don't care either way.

Q

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall that it was claimed by a reliable source that the long extractor is more reliable, though quite honestly I don't remember who it was that said that. Frankly I thought the whole reason why the long extractor came into being was because SIG NH wanted to save money because the extractor in that long configuration could now be a MIM part.

I don't know what the failure rate of the short extractor was, but I do know of three instances locally where the owner of a P229 had to send their gun back to SIG because the long extractor fractured, one of them happening to the 40S&W of a good friend. The last of these happened about 2 to 2 1/2 years ago, as told to me (and the best of my recollection); haven't heard of any similar issues since.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post