SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need a Good Ankle Holster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Good Ankle Holster Login/Join 
posted
I need an ankle holster for my G42. Who should I look at? Saw an ad in one of the NRA mags for a neoprene rig, can't recall the name though.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Galco Ankle Glove.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
^This.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Yep.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Galco as has been said.

Just keep in mind ankle carry isn't as easy/comfortable has most folks think. If you are not experienced with it be prepared for feeling like you are lugging 40 pounds of dead weight and feeling like you are walking like IGOR from Young Frankenstein. They also rub a bit and can lead to some discomfort. Also practice dropping down and clearing and drawing, as it's harder then you think.

Once you get used to it, it's no big deal but it feels so alien at first.

Just a little unsolicited advice from an anonymous low speed, high drag idjit on the interwebsz.

Take care, shoot safe.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
The Galco Ankle Glove and the Desantis Die Hard Ankle Holster are very similar with a leather holster stitched to a stretchy neoprene band with an ankle padding on the inside. I have both and both work very well.
The Galco Ankle Lite is similar except the holster area is nylon not leather. I have a Lite and it works fine except reholstering is tough since the holster section collapses while its worn and the gun is drawn.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best are a Ritchie or alessi very pricey but last forever great retention hand made. My j frame alessi is over 30 years old and still going strong

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Galco

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I second the Ritchie Leather ankle holster. I have one for my S&W 442. I carry it as a backup if I feel like I need one. Super comfortable, secure, and easy to draw from. I have run with mine and jumped in and out of the back of a pickup with no issues. It is secure enough that it does not bounce or shift as my calf and ankle flex. After you get used to it being there it "disappears".

The ONLY issue I have with ankle carry is that I wear 9" logger boots most of the time. So the pistol is more on my calf than my ankle to clear my boot. The Ritchie still fits, but it's at the end of adjustment.

As others have mentioned you need to practice the draw from the ankle. I am a righty so I wear mine on the left leg, pistol inboard. I drop to my right knee, pull my pant leg up, and draw with my right hand. As easy as that sounds it can be rough the first few times you do it. They make it look way easier in the movies lol.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My method (right hand shooter holster on inside of left leg) pick up left foot about a foot off the ground while grabbing pants near knee with both hands done such that you are moving laterally as you stomp foot to ground left hand remains holding pants up while right hand reaches pistol and draws it. A bit hard to explain clearly but works real well. You are moving off to the side as you do this theoretically out of the direct line of fire in a way your adversary may not anticipate and the draw is much smoother and faster when practiced than it sounds.
I used to frequent put the "ankle draw is slow" factions to rest when I would challenge shooters wearing tuckable iwb's to a time to first shot from draw contest. I ran against some competent shooters and would beat or match them every time

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen one recently, but there used to be a place in, I think, Arizona, that made one called the Renegade. Top notch. I carry a Centennial in one, or a Colt D frame, and have used it for years, although not daily.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
I haven't seen one recently, but there used to be a place in, I think, Arizona, that made one called the Renegade. Top notch. I carry a Centennial in one, or a Colt D frame, and have used it for years, although not daily.

FYI, the original maker went out of business, but The Wilderness (the company that makes The Wilderness Instructor belt) now makes it. I don't know how the new ones measure up against the original ones.

http://www.thewilderness.com/a...kle-holster-leather/

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I ankle carry M-F and I have both (Ritchie and Galco). Both serve well. However, I really like the retention strap of the Galco Ankle Glove. Should I ever move fast enough to find cover or position quickly before a draw, I'd like to feel confident that my piece came with me. I think the Galco is a better option in that case.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
I wonder if I can get one for my Detonic. Smile
https://youtu.be/FiIuSqjfd4g

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post