Find
Notify
Tools

LCP2 Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
I took my teenage son and his girlfriend to a local ice skating rink. I had time to kill.

I ended up buying a Ruger LCP2. How does that happen???

It's a pretty cool little pistol. Extremely small, light weight, and I don't even realize I have it in a holster in the pocket of my gym shorts.

Range report to follow. I sold it to my wife as it being a "cute" mousegun. She didn't complain much...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They really improved on the original. Great trigger on it, and not "just" for a pocket gun. The lock back is nice, too.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a long time ( carried 30+ years) J frame guy, and an LCPII as now replaced my wheel gun for pocket carry. Accurate reliable easy to carry inexpensive- very happy with mine

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It’s essentially a single action now, isn’t it?

I’m leery of carrying a chambered SA gun in my pocket, sorry.

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the I (actually three of them), it's a great pocket gun in this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ntis-nemesis-holster

With spare mag in this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...magazine-nylon-black

These +1 mags are specific to the II:

http://shopruger.com/LCP-II-7-...e/productinfo/90626/

On my I the slide does not lock back on an empty mag, but it's still a great pocket gun.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saying the LCP 2 is "essentially a single action" is like saying a puppy dog is a snake. Carry whatever you like, but don't perpetuate myths. The pistol is DA with a trigger mounted safety, like millions of pistols in circulation.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

No. There is still a hammer that is drawn to the rear and released.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I should have made the disclaimer, this is not my primary or EDC firearm.

I've been interested in a pocket gun, but somewhat leery of a .380 ballistics. At $250, it easily fills a "niche" that I never had. A small, cheap, accurate, firearm that is very easy to conceal. It was actually smaller than I expected.

It came with a pocket holster, but I'll probably upgrade to something kydex to keep the profile down.

I'm still not sold on .380 ballistics, so as of now, all I have are FMJ's for it. I want to run some rounds through it anyways, but even then I'm not sure if I'd go with hollowpoints. It is not +P rated, so I'm only carrying normal pressure loads. Any thoughts on that?

-----------------
I apologize now...

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

No. There is still a hammer that is drawn to the rear and released.

Interesting, when it first came out the Ruger website proudly proclaimed that it had a single action trigger. I ran 200 rounds of Hornady American Gunner XTP hollow points through my LCP Custom with no failures, just one mag that didn't want to seat with a closed slide. Internet testing tends to favor the XTP bullet.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

Interesting, when it first came out the Ruger website proudly proclaimed that it had a single action trigger.

That's what I recall seeing and lots of gun reviewers describing as a single-action type trigger as well.

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
...Internet testing tends to favor the XTP bullet.

So did Sigmund's informal and unscientific testing. I first posted this eight years ago, I'll send AKS the photos directly.

A very UNscientific test of 380 XTP

Penetration: 12+" inches of water
Expansion: About 6/16"
Sample size: One round

Last week I set up three water-filled 6” milk jugs and fired one round thru my LCP I from about 4 feet. It went through three jugs, settling in the third. I could not determine how far it went into the third jug, so I called it 12" of penetration.

What did this prove? Well, not a lot. But 150+ XTPs have flawlessly chambered and fired thru my LCP, and the one I tested expanded as designed.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It IS a single action trigger. I was leery as well until I saw some testing that revealed that the secondary hook on the sear is so robust that it would have to be milled away before the weapon would discharge if the hammer slipped off the primary hook. The trigger isn't so light that I'd be more concerned about setting it off than any of the striker fired pistols. Keep it in a holster in the pocket, don't put anything else in the pocket, and mind where your finger is in regards to the trigger and I no longer feel particularly concerned. I fully appreciate that others might feel differently and that is also fine.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picking up on the trigger discussion, in practice it feels and has the weight of many of the popular striker fired pistols on the market. Interestingly, I can't think of any striker fired pistols as small as the lcp II.

I like my example well enough and honestly have never had another 380 prove as reliable. I keep trying to replace it, but migrate back as other 380s fail. If they provided a better sighting option (just dove tail the damed thing!) I would quit looking at competitors.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I don't have one, but weren't the orignals single action and the 11's double action?

Posts: 5618 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I don't have one, but weren't the orignals single action and the 11's double action?

Other way around my friend

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger says the LCP II is single-action. See page 7 and 10 of the owners manual.
http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws...CPII-Ls6Gb8Dsk45.pdf

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fundman,

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I really like mine and carry it on the occasions I can't carry a commander size 1911, or, my 229.

I painted my front sight orange, added a green laser which has grip sense so it automatically activates when you grip the gun (link: https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...th-gripsense-black), so its a great set up.

Since no one offered a pocket holster to fit it with ~$100 LaserMax laser at that time, I just ripped out the stitching by the trigger guard on the free pocket holster that came with the gun and re-sewed it to fit around the laser. Cheap fix.

While definitely not something I would want to shoot extensively at the range, it is more than accurate enough and better than no gun at all.

Enjoy your new LCPII.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: h2oys,

Posts: 3722 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
After breaking it down, the trigger does pull the hammer back about 1/8th” before it breaks. If the trigger safety is not engaged, the hammer will not drop. The trigger pull is pretty substantial, more than a striker fired pistol (basing that on other pistols I own).

Pretty neat little pistol. Just need to buy some extra mags, it only came with one.

-----------------
I apologize now...

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Ruger calls it a single action gun. That's from the horse's mouth.

The trigger pull however is much like a double action gun, with longish travel before the trigger breaks. It's not as long as the original LCP which breaks deeper, but that's actually a GOOD thing considering how marginal the original's trigger was to operate at speed. Contained in a proper holster that protects/conceals the trigger, the LCPII is a very workable and usable pocket gun, no more unsafe than a striker like the G42...or a LCR for that matter.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have the original LCP as a BUG. Is the II well worth buying to replace it? I have never fired the II model. Are the mags interchangeable?

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post