SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 slide concern
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 slide concern Login/Join 
posted
On a P229/9mm JE that I have, the slide wiggles on the frame more than on other p226s I have. Should it be adjusted? Or, is this not a problem? It does shoot well, but my concern is that I want it to out last me but not because it is lost in the safe. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have a P226 made in 1984, and one made in 1985, and they're the same way as yours. On the earlier P226, the slide/frame interface had a bit more play to it. The P226 was designed for military use and went though US pistol trials in the early 1980s. Part of this testing involved subjecting pistols to heavy coatings of sand and dust and mud. SIG-Sauer left a bit of room between slide and frame to tolerate foreign substances. For a short time, SIG-Sauer even incorporated a series of scallops in the frame rails for just this reason. Years later, SIG collectors began referring to these as "mud rails". Come to think of it, I think that term may have originated here in SIGforum.

So, not to worry. Your pistol is fine.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para. Now I can work on the wiggle in my life and insure that future great grand children can enjoy my JE P226 the way Granppy does.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
As long as the barrel-to-slide mate up is tight, the slide rattle is nothing to be concerned about.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mud rail pistol is all over the place shoots great. I will just shoot till the rails crack or the slide breaks. When I have open range it sits on a 55 gallon drum for the baby cops to shoot to get the feel of a old school all metal pistol along with a beater Smith 28. I tell them carrying those all day will make you bow legged. LOL . VI...

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, my old W German p226 (bought in ‘88) has no noticeable play between slide and frame rails. Yet, the newer purchases (2 220’s and a 226 that were all built in the last 2 years) have play.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Mine, which is fairly new, 2015? is tight... I was out in the desert at Front Sight and one of the instructors said it would jam because of all the oil I had on the slide and the dust we were kicking up.... out of 650 rounds.... not one malfunction. But I was rooming with a retired Marine Gunnery Sgt who insisted we clean our pistols first thing when we got back to the Best Western before going to eat.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post